If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Free/Multir-egion Blu Ray (not just DVD) Player?

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Gents,

Back again to give you some business annoy ye.

Looking for a Region Free/Multi-region Blu Ray Player. I've had a quick look online on the usual UK-based forums but they all seem to point to Region Free DVD only players, which I find weird as Region Free BR players are relatively easy to get and cheap in the US. 

Going to the US next month so I could go down the route of buying one in the US and using a power adapter when I get home but I'd prefer an Irish/UK voltage player if possible.

Can you help? Even if it means a little expert know how jiggery-pokery to make a 'regular" player region free - don't pretend you don't know what I mean! ;)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Gents,

Back again to give you some business annoy ye.

Looking for a Region Free/Multi-region Blu Ray Player. I've had a quick look online on the usual UK-based forums but they all seem to point to Region Free DVD only players, which I find weird as Region Free BR players are relatively easy to get and cheap in the US. 

Going to the US next month so I could go down the route of buying one in the US and using a power adapter when I get home but I'd prefer an Irish/UK voltage player if possible.

Can you help? Even if it means a little expert know how jiggery-pokery to make a 'regular" player region free - don't pretend you don't know what I mean! ;)
    Hi Butter,

Its not often that we can't tempt you with some sort of tack or black box with flashing lights that had been languishing in a dusty corner - but this time we are drawing a blank!

Multi Region mods for Blu-Ray have become increasingly tighter over the last few years and its pretty much impossible to get a BR with region free playback at the moment  - some of these are modifiable but as soon as they update online then they will revert to R2.

Sorry I cant be more helpful - I'll keep a weather eye out for you tho'

Hope the hounds are good?

ATVB,
    John Mc 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No bother, thanks for checking though.

Guess I'll be going down the buying one in the US route and using an adapter. Shame really as the cost of BRs in the US is so cheap it kinda makes sense to get one.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

No bother, thanks for checking though.

Guess I'll be going down the buying one in the US route and using an adapter. Shame really as the cost of BRs in the US is so cheap it kinda makes sense to get one.
    Hi ButterSuki.

That's maybe one of the reasons why you cant get a multi region Bluray player here in the UK or Europe so you cant get the cheaper option blu rays via the USA and have to pay the extra :(.Sorry we could not be of more help on this one.

Enjoy your time in the US :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.