Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking question

• 08-10-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I have a lab GSD cross who was 2 in the summer. He is a fit, healthy, athletic dog who is full of energy. He has always had 2 walks per day, with most of this being off the lead, either swimming, playing with other dogs or playing fetch.

Now what I'm wondering is, does he need 2 walks a day, or is he now just conditioned to expect it? I know dogs crave routine, and although his walk times do change daily, he will just about always get out twice for a good 30 or 40 minutes at least. Our circumstances have changed recently and he gets less time off the lead and it's a bit more difficult to get him out twice a day. So far, I have been managing...

Before people jump to conclusions or anything, he will get whatever he needs, but I do have reasons for asking outside of just idle curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a lab GSD cross who was 2 in the summer. He is a fit, healthy, athletic dog who is full of energy. He has always had 2 walks per day, with most of this being off the lead, either swimming, playing with other dogs or playing fetch.

If you're not going to walk him you'll need to find ways to use up that energy or he may become destructive/bored. Is a dog walker/day care an option for you?

I have 2 retrievers who are absolutely fine if they get eg one very long walk in the morning and are then too tired for a second one but they know how to relax and don't have excess energy to burn off so it's not a problem - they're happy to snooze on the couch instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I'd say a dog of those breeds, and at that age will definitely need the 2 walks.
    I've a lab age 4 and a sheppie age 6 and they still need a good 90 minutes a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I should have said he is generally in daycare twice a week as well which helps. As I mentioned, he will always get what he needs but I'm just curious whether he expects 2 walks a day because he has always gotten it (it's his routine), or whether he just starts looking at me whenever he feels like a run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 IntotheWest100

If your willing to start jogging I have a german shepard/ husky cross who requires a lot of exercise. I jog her once a day between 5km-10km takes less than an hour but is sufficient for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Probably would get bored. If i'm trying to have a lazy day Nala is usually pretty good but i think sometimes she just gets bored of playing with her toys on her own so she'll come up and stare at me or start pawing me! Doesn't have to be a walk it can be game of fetch, some training or a spin in the car. Think they are a bit like children in that they don't like being cooped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

have you looked at cycling your dog?

Its a great way to exercise your dog and make sure they are not bored!

You can get an attachment for your bike that keeps the dogs on the right side and safe, plus a visi vest for both of you is imperative.

I cycled my dog for 3 years and he loved it, nothing too fast etc, and relaxed and steady pace, and not when its warm 10-15 mins was plenty for my guy.

Best of luck

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Running isn't really an option due to a long standing injury unfortunately. I have tried some jogging briefly, but for some reason he just tries to get the lead in his mouth straight away! He used to do that a lot on walks as a pup but hasn't done it in ages (once we corrected it), but try run with him, and that's what happens!

Cycling with him would be great, only for the same lead problem!

Running isn't really an option due to a long standing injury unfortunately. I have tried some jogging briefly, but for some reason he just tries to get the lead in his mouth straight away! He used to do that a lot on walks as a pup but hasn't done it in ages (once we corrected it), but try run with him, and that's what happens!

Cycling with him would be great, only for the same lead problem!

Ok well for the cycling you wouldnt use a lead at all, it wouldnt be good for his neck etc fo you had to stop suddenly, you would use a harmess.

Heres what i used to use....

Harness:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/hunter/438176

Bike Attachment:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/biking_leads/129831

5109_kleinmetall_fahrradhalter4_1.jpg

Trust me try it and will work wonders!!

Def get a visi vest and always cycle your dog on the oppiste side of the traffic ie on your left :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ok well for the cycling you wouldnt use a lead at all, it wouldnt be good for his neck etc fo you had to stop suddenly, you would use a harmess.

Heres what i used to use....

Harness:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/hunter/438176

Bike Attachment:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/biking_leads/129831

5109_kleinmetall_fahrradhalter4_1.jpg

Trust me try it and will work wonders!!

Def get a visi vest and always cycle your dog on the oppiste side of the traffic ie on your left :p

But PLEASE-try it on a traffic less road first..until doggie is 100% trained. And not bound to break away after a rabbit or something.

doubter wrote: »
    But PLEASE-try it on a traffic less road first..until doggie is 100% trained. And not bound to break away after a rabbit or something.

To be honest its a very sturdy attachment, its joined to the bike by bolts etc, so if the dog bolts he pulls the bike with him (with you on it) :p

Obliviously OP practice where its not too busy to get you both used to it, do get visi vest for both of you - regardless if its day or night, and always cycle your dog on the side away from the traffic (as it you are beside the traffic and then your dog)

Trust me its an excellent way to exercise you dog and very safe once you both know what your doing

• Advertisement
Advertisement