Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I need a bit of advice, I currently have documents/pictures etc, on my current laptop, and also pics on iphone. It is my understanding that if I get dropbox and sync/copy/upload?? all my files into the dropbox that I can then view these files on any device once logged in - is this correct?

If so, and this is what others do, how do you get around the fact that you gotta pay approx. 10euro a month?

I don't really want to be in a situation of having to pay 10 quid a month forever - I'm assuming others aren't doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How much space do you need? Dropbox gives 2GB with a free account, and you can gain extra space through referrals and various tasks (I currently have 10GB). Or you can use OneDrive, which is pretty similar, and it comes with 15GB free, and if you install the mobile app and turn on "Camera Upload", you get another 15GB free (even if you only use the upload function once)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Both Google Drive and OneDrive offer 15GB of storage space. I personally use OneDrive but that's because I have additional storage with it I got free

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Or use Flickr for your photo collection as it gives 1TB free. There is an automated backup for Android and iPhone.
    There are ways to get your photos on the PC to sync also and I use Picbackman to do that.

Combined with either Google Drive or OneDrive for your documents then you should have enough space to be able to avoid paying any monthly fee

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ok cool, some really good advice,

A couple of possible stupid questions,

if I have one drive and upload everything I need to thats on my pc, do I have to download it to every device I use, before it's available, or is it automatically there when I log in .For example if I logged in on a random computer - everything I need Is just sitting there.

last possible stupid question, let's say I have 2GB worth of files/pics on one drive, does this then take up 2GB of space of say my iphone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ace2007 wrote: »
    ok cool, some really good advice,

A couple of possible stupid questions,

if I have one drive and upload everything I need to thats on my pc, do I have to download it to every device I use, before it's available, or is it automatically there when I log in .For example if I logged in on a random computer - everything I need Is just sitting there.

last possible stupid question, let's say I have 2GB worth of files/pics on one drive, does this then take up 2GB of space of say my iphone ?

1) You only have to download to a device if you want to. Once you upload stuff to your cloud storage, you can log into your account from anywhere with your username and password and have access to your stuff (make sure to use a strong password)

2) It would only take up space on your phone if you download the content. Viewing the content through an app wouldnt take up space on your phone directly.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement