Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive spiders

• 08-10-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I recently discovered one huge spider (about 2.5 inches long- no exaggeration) in our house. I killed the big one but another, smaller one appeared (about half the size but still fairly big). I took a pic of the small one before killing it.
    I was wondering if anyone can identify it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

tony007 wrote: »
    I recently discovered one huge spider (about 2.5 inches long- no exaggeration) in our house. I killed the big one but another, smaller one appeared (about half the size but still fairly big). I took a pic of the small one before killing it.
    I was wondering if anyone can identify it?

Thanks.

Its a anaaacruip pelaans..very deadly...one bite can kill in a minute know cure

dennyire wrote: »

Meant No known cure !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Looks like a false widow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_nobilis

On the increase recently, they can bite but are not usually dangerous but some people can react badly to the venom.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-was-unconscious-got-the-shakes-and-started-frothing-at-the-mouth-30628906.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's norra spidah, this is a spidah! http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gths8z60j_w/hqdefault.jpg

If it's any peace of mind, in Australia at least (aka the land of the many spiders) their general rule of thumb is that the smaller the spider the more dangerous it (or its venom), and the bigger the less dangerous. A good few people there actually leave huntsman spiders like the one above to roam around like some do with daddy long legs' here, because they are neither dangerous nor aggressive and don't leave webs. Instead, they sit in a corner and leap across the fecking room when a fly, wasp, etc crosses their eyeline! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭uli84

Not brave enough to open that pic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

huntsman's can run like hell too. remember the first one i saw turned to face me as i snuck up on it and the bastid ran TOWARDS me.

You shouldn't have killed it...spiders have (spy)ders they know what you did...they want revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

When I was trying to kill the huge one it was in an aggressive stance. Didn't run away at all. And I missed the first time which lead me to run out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have one of them in my cupboard she just looks at me before folding up shelob style back into a crevice. Spiders here don't set out to bite you - they much prefer flies, silverfish, mozzies and all the little critters I don't much care for. Why would you want to kill them - just gather them up and leave them outside (so they can plot their way back in when you're not looking)

tony007 wrote: »
    When I was trying to kill the huge one it was in an aggressive stance. Didn't run away at all. And I missed the first time which lead me to run out of the room.

That's it then.....if its not dead it will come back with it's mates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Pretzill wrote: »
    I have one of them in my cupboard she just looks at me before folding up shelob style back into a crevice. Spiders here don't set out to bite you - they much prefer flies, silverfish, mozzies and all the little critters I don't much care for. Why would you want to kill them - just gather them up and leave them outside (so they can plot their way back in when you're not looking)
    I'm always the one in the group who picks them up and puts them out. But you wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

That's it then.....if its not dead it will come back with it's mates

That's why a lot of people will leave their decaying carcasses laying there to warn its mates not to fuk with them

huntsman's can run like hell too. remember the first one i saw turned to face me as i snuck up on it and the bastid ran TOWARDS me.
    Apparently they get listed under the "most dangerous" lists quite often not because of what they do, but because people do insane things like jumping out of windows from the fright they get! :pac:

First time I saw one was in a friends place in Sydney, it ran away into his empty gym bag. The gym back moved several feet like there was a cat in it. Didn't know what to think!

Could be worse, could be drop bears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Billy86 wrote: »
    Apparently they get listed under the "most dangerous" lists quite often not because of what they do, but because people do insane things like jumping out of windows from the fright they get! :pac:

First time I saw one was in a friends place on Sydney, it ran away into his empty gym bag. The gym back moved several feet like there was a cat in it. Didn't know what to think!

I can't even bring myself to clicking the image of the huntsman. I've seen a few pics by accident on other forums and nope'd right out of there. People do crazy sh!t when they're shocked and panicked with fear and I'd love to know how I'd react myself. Not even sure why I'm afraid of spiders because I know most of the ones here can't harm me and I wasn't afraid as a kid, at least until years ago when there was a huge one on the hall wall that my mother tried putting out a window and obviously failed since it was crawling on my bed a few minutes later and that freaked me out.

I don't mind spiders but did get take a quick, DEEP breath in an stepchildren when I first saw the huntsman. It was cock roaches that freaked me out, especially flying ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

First time I saw one was in a friends place in Sydney, it ran away into his empty gym bag. The gym back moved several feet like there was a cat in it. Didn't know what to think!

Could be worse, could be drop bears.

I looked at that picture and i would most certainly jump out the window.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can't even bring myself to clicking the image of the huntsman.
    Here you go. No need to click!

Huntsman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

endacl wrote: »
    Here you go. No need to click!

Huntsman.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's norra spidah, this is a spidah! http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gths8z60j_w/hqdefault.jpg
    Try a Camel spider; friend of mine was working down on oil rigs in Saudi Arabia and had to check out any bags etc. brought on site (esp. sleeping bags) to make sure there were none that had snuck in (they like the shade). Did I mention they grow to 8 inches and are USUALLY not dangerous to people? Oh and they like running after people (to stand in their shade but if I got a bloody 8" spider running after me I'm not stopping!).

Nody wrote: »
    Try a Camel spider; friend of mine was working down on oil rigs in Saudi Arabia and had to check out any bags etc. brought on site (esp. sleeping bags) to make sure there were none that had snuck in (they like the shade). Did I mention they grow to 8 inches and are USUALLY not dangerous to people? Oh and they like running after people (to stand in their shade but if I got a bloody 8" spider running after me I'm not stopping!).
    Think I've seen a p inure of them of something similar before, guessing it was Iraq because it looked like a soldier holding it if I recall. Looked the size of a lobster from gell or something.

Here we go... enjoy, people!
    camelspider02.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement