Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

where to buy new chain, bmw 650 gs

• 09-10-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there,

I came all the way from Austria with my beloved bike. I m living in Galway for a year and wanted to ask if anyone knows where I might get a new chain for my Bmw 650 gs. And how much it would be approx?

Thanks a lot and all the best,
    Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Pretty much any bike shop would be able to source u one. The only BMW dealer in Ireland is Maddocks in Bray AFAIK but that's a long way south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisalotte

Thanks! Are they all pretty much the same or are some more expensive and some less? Think I won t go to bmw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Chains aren't branded, the only thing it has to be same type (o-ring, x-ring or whatever) and correct length. Also bave a look at sprockets as they might be warn also. A chain and sprocket set for my CB600f is around €100 supplied and fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Always replace chain and sprockets at the same time!
    I don't know any bike shops in Galway I'm afraid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Lisalotte wrote: »
    Hey there,

I came all the way from Austria with my beloved bike. I m living in Galway for a year and wanted to ask if anyone knows where I might get a new chain for my Bmw 650 gs. And how much it would be approx?

Thanks a lot and all the best,
    Lisa
    ivors bike shop(near westside shopping centre) garrys/harrys bikes in galway
    http://www.bicyclesandmowers.com/
    http://www.ivors.ie/
    try ivors first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, any motorcycle shop will sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Single cylinders are hard on chains, buy a good one.
    DID X-ring are good hardwearing chains,
    You will likely need a chain and sprocket set as your sprockets are probably worn out if your chain is worn out.
    Good steel sprockets like JT brand are long lasting and cheaper than aluminium.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F650-GS-CS-Dakar-2005-Genuine-OE-DID-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit-/130752570305?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e7175e3c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

try E bikes.... heard a lot of horror stories about ivors....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisalotte

Yeah I was thinking of changing the sprockets too - just didn t know the English word :)

Thanks a lot for all the comments and advices! What horror stories?

And is there some kind of bike-community in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Yeah I was thinking of changing the sprockets too - just didn t know the English word :)

Thanks a lot for all the comments and advices! What horror stories?

E-motorcycles are good, hard to find though! She has decent prices on gear etc, and any work I had done there was good.
    Also heard good things about PHD motorcycles in oranmore, but never used him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Not as such. There are a couple of clubs but they are primarily focused on drinking cider in a field.

Always replace chain and sprockets as a set and get them from eMotorcycles or Sean Griffin in Oranmore. Ivors are ok if you are stuck but they aren't really a bike shop - more a lawnmower shop that used sell bikes.

PM me for numbers/details.

'cptr

Advertisement