Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a New Phone

Options
  • 09-10-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Nokia Lumia 630 about 6 weeks ago.

I then got a job in London out of the blue so I've upped sticks and left.

I've asked for an unlock from O2 but I haven't spent enough with them.
    I brought the phone to 2 shops but they weren't able to unlock my model.

Is the only other option buying those codes off ebay? It seems a bit dodgy to me? Is it actually safe? Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Best option is to go private to an unlocking store.Networks will not entertain unless spend amount reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Best option is to go private to an unlocking store.Networks will not entertain unless spend amount reached.

I did though and they said they couldn't.

Nobody has Nokias in London maybe?:o

Is it just the ones I went to or are there generally problems with unlocking Nokias or Lumia 630's specifically?

Gbear wrote: »
    I did though and they said they couldn't.

Nobody has Nokias in London maybe?:o

Is it just the ones I went to or are there generally problems with unlocking Nokias or Lumia 630's specifically?

Nope just networks rules unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Nope just networks rules unfortunately.

No, I mean I went to some fellas who unlock phones and they said they couldn't.

No, I mean I went to some fellas who unlock phones and they said they couldn't.

With newer models it takes time before they can be unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

I bought a Nokia Lumia 630 about 6 weeks ago.

I then got a job in London out of the blue so I've upped sticks and left.

I've asked for an unlock from O2 but I haven't spent enough with them.
    I brought the phone to 2 shops but they weren't able to unlock my model.

Is the only other option buying those codes off ebay? It seems a bit dodgy to me? Is it actually safe? Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?

I tried to unlock an Iphone a few years ago and bought an unlock code & download from an American site for €40. It never worked and useless support from them, they ignored my emails etc. but were happy to accept the €40 I paid. My advice would be to go to one of those Chinese stores that unlock phones, they unlocked mine for €50 - however, I could not update it with new operating systems when launched. Not sure how it works for Nokia though. My advice is not to buy anything online and go to a store, at least you can go back if & when it fails. Good luck

Advertisement