Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your very first mobile phone?

• 09-10-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Did it have polyphonic ringtonzz, bluetooth, group text,flip/slide features, a video camera? Snake, tetris, backgammon? :pac:

Mine was a good old Nokia 3310. The most unshakeable, unbreakable phone with the longest battery life I've ever had. Plus snake was pretty cool.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Did it have polyphonic ringtonzz, bluetooth, group text,flip/slide features, a video camera? Snake, tetris, backgammon? :pac:

Mine was a good old Nokia 3310. The most unshakeable, unbreakable phone with the longest battery life I've ever had. Plus snake was pretty cool.

3310? fancy ****er.

Mine was the 5110, check out that beast!!

Nokia_5110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Caliden wrote: »
    3310? fancy ****er.

Mine was the 5110, check out that beast!!

Nokia_5110.jpg

OMG. Yours had an ariel. Well jealous! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

3210 as was everyone else in my generation and we all had same ringtone as it was a choice of 1 or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Ericsson%20T10s%20(3).jpg

Ericsson T10.

Great phone with 2 lines of text on the display. Barely had txting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm not even sure what my brick was called but I decided to splash my confirmation money straight away and spent £99 (punts was the old currency for some of you young ones) on an Esat Digiphone (barely) mobile phone. It was mainly used for prank phone calling free phone numbers... A misspent youth! I love my brrriiiick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ericsson%20T10s%20(3).jpg

Ericsson T10.

Great phone with 2 lines od text on the display. Barely had txting though.

My mother had that phone. I remember I ballsed it for her when I accidentally changed the language to Arabic :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ericsson T10 also.

I'm not even sure what my brick was called but I decided to splash my confirmation money straight away and spent £99 (punts was the old currency for some of you young ones) on an Esat Digiphone (barely) mobile phone. It was mainly used for prank phone calling free phone numbers... A misspent youth! I love my brrriiiick.

Esat Digifone. Those were the days. None of your 'priority moments' or 'webtexting' back in those times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Nokia 5110 for me

The silver metallic finish on that phone is a nice touch.

Except mine was all black.
    When you think how mobiles have changed in 14 years it's actually quite amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Remember when you used to get stickers in the box from Eircell and Esat Digifone so when you filled the phones memory up you could start sticking peoples names and numbers to the back of the case? :D

bear1 wrote: »
    My mother had that phone. I remember I ballsed it for her when I accidentally changed the language to Arabic :D

You monster :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

3210 back in 99
    my m8 had a 5110 - great weapon!
    Also - my first colour phone was a t68 when Ericsson were all Swedish - great phone with its very own camera add on - fancee dan!

Also - I remember coming across a site (iobox maybe) that let you design a custom operator graphic - sent a non complimentary image to a m8 for the craic - turned out it wasn't possible to reset it back to vodafone or whatever - doh!

Lads do you all remember this ad?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbujX4hXOg

Loved it when it came out. The idea of texting was so wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Orange Nokia 2140 (UK). Built like a tank. The antenna tip broke off after a couple of years, didn't make any difference.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Have a look at THESE babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A Panasonic something or other in 1997. It was a brick and you couldn't text at that time. Worst thing every happened, as from that day forward you could get no peace and quiet. You were contactable in the field where beforehand only had to deal with people and issues when back at the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

IPhone 6. I can colour on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Nokia 5110, brick of a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MicroTAC International 8700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I had the Nokia on the left :-)

Can't figure out what the first one I had was. Some Motorola that had a cradle to charge it in and was the size of a brick. Talk time on full battery was something like 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the one second from the right in that pic? That's my first phone and I could never track it down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

This was mine. :o A right dinosaur! Motorola L7089.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

snap, nokia 1610 i think is what google tells me. i was 13 or 14 id reckon
    the 10 hours battery life prepared me for the smart phones of today

i feel so old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

This:

SV206259.jpg

Now that's a proper brick. 088 number and it made phone calls (where most of the time the person on the other end couldn't hear you). That was it. Came with a pair of braces so that your trousers would stay up while you carried it.

Honestly, you kids don't know you're born....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A Philips Savvy. Nothing quite like going around to work colleagues and playing them, proudly, without a hint of post x anything/irony, the Old McDonald Had A Farm ringtone.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Siemens C10 in 1999. Still works, but I don't use it. Have the same number still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mitsubishi Trium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Phillips something or other. Brick of a phone, credit card-sized SIM card in the back. Think it was only 1 line of text so you would scroll to the right as you progressed writing a message.

Then came the Siemens C35, sexiest phone around in its day, remember the ad showing a lady's hand holding it between 2 fingers to show how small it was.

Ah here it is:

http://mobile.cdn.softpedia.com/phone-pics/Siemens-C35-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

theteal wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Trium

Had one of these too, amazing phone! Had better functionality than all the mainstream nokia's. Trium was a hipsters phone. The first Nokia I owned is actually the Lumia 800! Never got the old 3210's like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

theteal wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Trium

Also had this phone. I remember it came with those Ready to go black one strap shoulder bags. Loved that bag ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

A motorola 088 ready to go back in '98

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

A panasonic GD30. I remember I could store 12 text messages on it. I was delighted to get it. I suppose it was around '98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

A Alcatel One Touch Easy in Blue. God what a piece of rubbish it was, but said that it was very sturdy. :D

http://handysammlung.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/alcatel-one-touch-easy-hd1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Siemens A55.

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_a55-394.php

Got it for my 12th birthday in 2003. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

My first phone was this brick....
    10479669593.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine was an analogue NMT (i.e. pre-GSM era) Philips phone. I was the coolest kid on the block back then (early 1990's) !!

There's one for sale here on eBay, at that price I wish I'd kept it now!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-PRW-9540-NMT-VINTAGE-BRICK-CELL-MOBILE-PHONE-RARE-RETRO-COLLECTABLE-/371153991113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566a8075c9

It was a stupid design as the battery was mounted on the side and only took a slight push from below to detach, so if you had it hooked to your belt (as was the thing to do in those days, to show it off!!) the battery kept falling off at the slightest excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

A blue ericsson T10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

jacksie66 wrote: »
    That looks like a play phone a child would get out of a lucky dip bag..

That made me smile, but they were very popular in Europe at that time. And much cheaper then Nokias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Amalgam wrote: »
    A Philips Savvy. Nothing quite like going around to work colleagues and playing them, proudly, without a hint of post x anything/irony, the Old McDonald Had A Farm ringtone.. :o
    Me too got it from Bank of Ireland after opening a student account. I remember the excitement friend used to get when there was an issue with the network an calls were being charged. Back then you would check your balance after every call. Do people still do that. Have been on bill so long now, I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Motorola 650 ?? A big heavy brick :-) got it about 1991.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

davo2001 wrote: »
    A blue ericsson T10

I was really flash, I had a T18! My dad then had it for years, until the screen failed on it.

I envy this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

1995 i got a Maxon, I still have it in a box in the Attic, The battery is bigger than my current phone :D

http://www.cntr.salford.ac.uk/comms/resources/artefacts/mobile_phones/ETACS/Maxon_EPC590E.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Nokia 3110 - probably still running on its first charge somewhere.

Seriously though my work phone went belly up and I needed something to replace it that day and all they had is a crappy Nokia 208, Man I love this phone 1 charge a week job done. I have my smart phone for all my personal stuff but for work all I really need is a good old Telephone and its perfect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3510i, used it for 10 years! Colour screen baby :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement