Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your very first mobile phone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

This was mine. :o A right dinosaur! Motorola L7089.

Wow, that brings back memories! I loved that phone, thought I was the bee's knees with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I've got you all beat,

The Nokia 101 on Eircell
    http://www.cntr.salford.ac.uk/comms/resources/artefacts/mobile_phones/ETACS/Nokia_101.JPG

I got it in Christmas 1994 and my phone number was 088644152, I remember it used to cost £1 a min between 9am - 6pm then 20p a min after that.

This was about 2 years before ready to go and 3 years before esat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ericsson A1018 was the first one i bought myself.

First "mobile" is used was one that came with the job.
    Should also have come with a to carry it around as it was basically a car battery with a handset attached. Bit like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I had a Siemens A55. I got it for Christmas 2003, when I was 14. At that stage all my friends had phones like the 3510i with colour and pictures, so my phone with its orange monochrome screen was like a brick in comparison, but I was still happy to get it as I was the last person I knew my age not to have one. Still have the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

My first phone was an iphone3. Great phone for it's time but already very old fashioned now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mitsubishi MT30. Never dropped a call. Battery lasted a week. Came with a free portable telly for my flat. Phones were phones in those days, I tells ya!

http://www.thibaultbarat.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Mitsubishi-MT30-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

My first phone was a Nokia 3510i . I still have it in a box with my other old mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 responsive

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I had the Nokia on the left :-)

Can't figure out what the first one I had was. Some Motorola that had a cradle to charge it in and was the size of a brick. Talk time on full battery was something like 90 minutes.

So did I. It was called a Ringo and it was analogue- phone number was 088 and you couldnt text. ah 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

BDJW wrote: »
    My first phone was this brick....
    10479669593.jpg

I think this was my first.

Can anyone confirm if this was the one Eircell sold on prepaid on their '088 pre-GSM network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Siemens M35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Had an analog 088 Motorola that you could power with 4 AA batteries.

It had a massive 20 number phone book!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Motorola brick phone on Eircell RTG, Philips Sagem then a bunch of Nokia's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

BDJW wrote: »
    My first phone was this brick....
    10479669593.jpg

Same here, friends nicknamed it "Ready to fight" because if you hit someone with that, they weren't getting back up in a hurry!

:pac:
    I think this was my first.

Can anyone confirm if this was the one Eircell sold on prepaid on their '088 pre-GSM network?

Yep it was 088 Ready to Go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

1st phone was a Sony CM-R11 in about 1995, followed quickly by a Nokia 1610.

The Sony was very "cool" for it's time , very Star-trek with the flip down mic , but the battery was shocking...It only last a few hours, and if I actually answered a phone on it the battery would die almost immediately

Had Nokia (like most people) for years after that - 1610 , 1611 , 6110 , 6110i , e50 , e51 , e61 before making the jump to Android phone.. Nexus 5 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Nokia 3210 for me. Got it for Christmas and immediately started playing snake, set an alarm & flicked through the handful of ringtones/message beeps. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

8-10 wrote: »
    Phillips something or other. Brick of a phone, credit card-sized SIM card in the back. Think it was only 1 line of text so you would scroll to the right as you progressed writing a message.

Then came the Siemens C35, sexiest phone around in its day, remember the ad showing a lady's hand holding it between 2 fingers to show how small it was.

Ah here it is:

http://mobile.cdn.softpedia.com/phone-pics/Siemens-C35-1.jpg

Forgot about those. When I got a new phone that needed a smaller sim, they wanted to charge me £20 for a new card. Tech/customer support told me that by cutting the 'plastic' on the card, the sim wouldn't work. I borrowed a small sim and cut the card(this was before they had the ones that you could push the small sim out of the card) to match. Used it for years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 responsive

I miss snake but I think mostly what I miss about those phones is they had real buttons. big plastic things like a remote control. Non of this haptic feedback crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

Nokia 3210, I got it a few weeks before my 13th birthday as my mum got an upgrade, playing snake and 'composing' ringtone were my favourite things on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Racyjase

It was 1996/1997 and I had a motorolla (startac I think). It was one if the flippy ones with an aerial and I thought I was the dogs bollocks with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

1995 i got a Maxon, I still have it in a box in the Attic, The battery is bigger than my current phone :D

http://www.cntr.salford.ac.uk/comms/resources/artefacts/mobile_phones/ETACS/Maxon_EPC590E.JPG

Had one if them too, think it was about 95, used call it "the lunchbox"

etacs_mobiles.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Nokia 3310, I thought it was far superior to mam's 3210

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

the Motorola startac....I still have it at the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

3510i I think it was called, a chunky gold nokia with colour screen.

Nice looking device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Panasonic G450, looked like it was modelled on a bord na mona peat briquette.

http://www.flashgsm.ro/uploads/poza_mare/watermark/7231_panasonic-g450.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

nokia 5110 in 1999. Got it from an IT company I started work as a graduate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

BrianJD wrote: »

Had this one, it was the "family mobile phone" whoever needed it would take it with them, think it was one of the first phones that vibrated.

the first phone that I owned was some Motorola WAP phone, it wasnt one of the cool ones, you couldnt just say the model number like 3310, people would look at you funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Had this one, it was the "family mobile phone" whoever needed it would take it with them, think it was one of the first phones that vibrated.

the first phone that I owned was some Motorola WAP phone, it wasnt one of the cool ones, you couldnt just say the model number like 3310, people would look at you funny

2nd phone was a Siemens s35i which I got free when meteor started up, brilliant phone, lasted for years and survived about 2000 texts a week:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nokia 1610
    Ericsson T10
    Nokia 3210
    Nokia 3410
    Sagem My-V55
    Nokia 1600
    Nokia 6111?
    Sony Ericsson W300
    Nokia 2630
    ???
    Samsung Ping Touch
    Sony Xperia Tipo
    Nokia 105
    Motorola Moto G

Close one between the Ericsson T10 and my current Moto G for my favourite phone ever. Just pulled my 2630 out of the press for the first time in years, still amazed at how small it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Nokia P-30 Brick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

My first phone was an old 3510 I got from my sister for xmas when she got a new phone. And it was the black and white version too

Ended up loosing it for weeks soon after. Turned up in a friends garden still working after showers of rain. But the buttons were fuked! :/

What a phone though!

Advertisement