Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamps issue: An Post - The Collector - 04/14 - Game Icons 16/10/2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Never knew such a thing existed. Might see about getting them so.

Reading that PDF, is it better to get them from irishstamps.ie or can you just walk into any post office and get the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The GPO (Dublin, O'Connell Street), have a dedicated, recently renovated, philatelic bureau, you can buy anything currently available, or on the day of issue, there.

The stamps scans are from the 'paper' issue of The Collector, the .pdf is a rather low resolution reproduction.

You can get The Collector mailed out to you four times a year, 'free'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers. I'll try the website, the GPO is too far a trip for some stamps. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn,
    Our collective nerdiness has only deepened with this news.
    We are all stamp collectors now!

That said, they'd look mighty nice mounted on a wall.

I've added the 'FDC' or First Day cover, to the first post.

Nice gamepad 'cancellation' and 'cachets' (envelope artwork) artwork, in general.

An_Post_Game_Icons_First_Day_Cover640x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I still have a massive stamp collection from over 20 years ago (one of my secret shames :pac:) - think I'll be making a new addition after two decades!

What games would you have chosen..?

The choices are very nicely balanced, mass recognition etc..

A Tetris stamp would have been very Zen, or maybe again, because of the iconic nature, yet simplicity of the game, Asteroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apologies on knowing very little about stamps, but is the first day cover an envelope with the stamps on it, and can you get the stamps separate to this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

these came out today folks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

these came out today folks

FDC ordered. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just ordered 2 sets myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nostalgia factor rising

cats1.jpg

Very nice Skerries, did you create these?

Attached to this post (below), a 1600 width scan (.jpg) of a 'sheet', that will set you back €10.88, at the Post Office.

Game_Icons_Sheet640.jpg

Final post, I promise..

Most FDCs (First Day Covers) have a card inside the envelope giving an overview and technical specifications for the stamp issue concerned.

Here are scans of the card for this issue.

The FDC is available from An Post anytime after the issue of the stamps. Just call into the GPO philatelic bureau or similar.

FDC_Inner_Overviewx640.jpg

FDC_Inner_Technicalx640.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll prob be asked for my A&R membership card back after this but....they're stamps, I don't get what all the the fuss is over :o I know stamps can be collectible & all that, but there seems to be loads of fuss over these

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'll prob be asked for my A&R membership card back after this but....they're stamps, I don't get what all the the fuss is over :o I know stamps can be collectible & all that, but there seems to be loads of fuss over these

Stamps are great. Arcade related stamps are even greater.

stampinternetbearanpost.gif

Amalgam wrote: »
    Stamps are great.

The only time I find that is when I need to post something :o

Master of the Universe

They're Irish national stamps with videogame designs!

When have you ever seen a videogame design on something official like this, let alone Ireland, the land of conservative thinking. Its a pretty big deal, for me anyway :o

o1s1n wrote: »
    They're Irish national stamps with videogame designs!

When have you ever seen a videogame design on something official like this, let alone Ireland, the land of conservative thinking. Its a pretty big deal, for me anyway :o

I kind of get what you're saying, in that it's a departure from what you'd expect at a national level...it's just, being stamps, I 'd put them in the realm of collecting those old phone card things (ie utterly useless)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I kind of get what you're saying, in that it's a departure from what you'd expect at a national level...it's just, being stamps, I 'd put them in the realm of collecting those old phone card things (ie utterly useless)

Phone cards were a brief thing that were sold and haven't really been uses in years.

Stamps have been around longer than any of us have been alive (well, maybe not Ciderdude :D) have a rich history and they're still in use today. Totally different things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Amalgam wrote: »
    Very nice Skerries, did you create these?

No I saw it on Broadsheet.ie yesterday

Phone cards were a brief thing that were sold and haven't really been uses in years.

Stamps have been around longer than any of us have been alive (well, maybe not Ciderdude :D) have a rich history and they're still in use today. Totally different things. :)

I don't mean to belittle the things that others may find collectible, indeed there's so many things some would treasure while others will see as useless. For me though, these stamps would have very little appeal, unless I needed to post a letter :D As you point out though, people who see the value & significance of stamps will probably see these in a different light. I'd be surprised though, I can't see hardcore stamp collectors attaching any significance to a stamp with Sonic the Hedgehog on it...& it seems that the gaming community instead are the people hyping these. If certain members of the community are into stamps as an aside, I can understand that. But hyping these up simply because they have video game characters on them & otherwise having no interest in stamp collecting, that to me just seems a bit pointless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

well they're already being flogged at way above cost on ebay apparantly..

Master of the Universe

I don't mean to belittle the things that others may find collectible, indeed there's so many things some would treasure while others will see as useless. For me though, these stamps would have very little appeal, unless I needed to post a letter :D As you point out though, people who see the value & significance of stamps will probably see these in a different light. I'd be surprised though, I can't see hardcore stamp collectors attaching any significance to a stamp with Sonic the Hedgehog on it...& it seems that the gaming community instead are the people hyping these. If certain members of the community are into stamps as an aside, I can understand that. But hyping these up simply because they have video game characters on them & otherwise having no interest in stamp collecting, that to me just seems a bit pointless.

Stamp collectors like interesting stamps with interesting designs. These are fairly unique when it comes to the theme (I don't think I've seen it done before?) so they would definitely be desirable.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of videogame collectors who collect all manner of items just because they're associated with gaming. Tshirts, Thermos flasks, duvet covers... I've even seen someone with a toaster that put a big 'SEGA' stamp on your toast (I really wanted that one! :D) - basically every item under the sun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Stamp collectors like interesting stamps with interesting designs. These are fairly unique when it comes to the theme (I don't think I've seen it done before?) so they would definitely be desirable.

I guess so, in that sense they're a unique line of stamps alright & the more I think about it might peak interests of stamp collectors in that sense/
    Also, don't underestimate the amount of videogame collectors who collect all manner of items just because they're associated with gaming. Tshirts, Thermos flasks, duvet covers... I've even seen someone with a toaster that put a big 'SEGA' stamp on your toast (I really wanted that one! :D) - basically every item under the sun.

This is more what I was getting at. I just think it's a bit mad that someone who is into gaming goes "I must collect all of these just because they're game related & even though I'm not interested in stamps". True about what you said re tshirts, flasks, duvet covers etc...the thing is though, you can use all of those things. Much like collecting games, you can actually play/use them. Inanimate pieces of paper though, hmm, I'd have to draw the line there. Or maybe it's an unconscious jealousy of mine that I don't have enough money to collect everything game related :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Big the Cat? Seriously?

Meowth is more of a cartoon character aswell, I know you could catch him but he's just an ordinary Pokemon in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thargor wrote: »
    Big the Cat? Seriously?

Meowth is more of a cartoon character aswell, I know you could catch him but he's just an ordinary Pokemon in the games.

I think a user here just created them himself to show what generation he relates to, I don't think they are the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think a user here just created them himself to show what generation he relates to, I don't think they are the real deal.
    Ah right, sorry...:D

Shows he did a good job anyway...

Advertisement