Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aloe Vera on cats skin

• 09-10-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

This is probably an odd question but does anone know if Aloe Vera can be used an a cats skin?

My cat has a sore under her chin that she keeps scratching which is delaying the healing.

I have been given an aloe vera plant and I was reading it is very good for healing the skin and is antibacterial.

I wondered if anyone knows if the the same would apply to animals too as it is natural? Have you used it on your pets before?

*** Mods - I will call the vet to check before using the aloe vera so I'm not really looking for medical advice, just querying whether anyone else has used it on their pets :) so I hope it was ok to post this, thanks ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yes you can use it on animals. A groomer friend recommended it to me after my dog had bad razor burn from being clipped for surgery. He recommended the plant and not a lotion - ie just natural aloe vera and nothing else added in. I've also used arnica cream and coconut oil with success too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Great stuff, I don't like putting medicated products on my pets (they're my babies!) so it's great to hear this can be used

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Are you sure it's not cat acne that's become inflamed? It's really common. For that you need to use an anti-bacterial treatment. Typically vets will suggest using some dilute surgical scrub on cotton wool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I don't know what it is - she had fleas recently, I think I've got rid of the little [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] now but I think the sore was caused from her scratching herself under the chin from them the poor thing

It is healing but just now as quickly as I'd like as she scratches it every now and again, I think the scabs are itching

Advertisement