Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

187kph and only gets fined.

• 09-10-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭

This story was doing the rounds on the Motors section last night and today I see it has made the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/187kph-beauty-queen-escapes-drive-ban-30650507.html

The fact that she said she "didn't know" at what speed she was travelling would have been enough for me to ban her.
    Absolutely shameful that she got praised for her honesty, fined 500e and from what I've reading feck all points on the licence.
    I give up at this stage how the justice system works in this country.
    I'd say the poor bastards that were banned last week for similar actions must be fairly pi33ed off at the ruling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

a hush, she was pretty and told the truth, what do you want blood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

A topless photo and I'll call it quits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ah the poor peteen, I'd say she was traumatised from it all.

All over the local radio here. Looks like there is uproar over this after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Honesty pays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Clear case of the judge having the hots for her, not knowing your doing 187kph is a garbage excuse and if you don't know your doing that speed you should have your license taken away for sheer ignorance and stupidity at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It's because she's a fine thing.

I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"I have never been speeding before"

"I've never been caught speeding before." I think she meant to say.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "I've never been caught speeding before." I think she meant to say.

You forgot won't do it again either. Bless her cotton socks.

I would.

Oh I would too... just wouldn't let her drive :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

She is a ****. Limerick; typical.

I would.

That's an old photo. Trust me on this one

She is a star, quite right.

Sets hearts and cars a-racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

At least she Gort caught on this occasion.

This was in clare

It's alright though, she wont speed again cause she drives a 1.4 Golf :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

187kmph is a ****ing joke. If she hit anything at that speed, the carnage would have been unreal. "I did not realise I was driving that fast" is complete nonsense. Anyone else would be banned for 6 months minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

<<< Fakes outrage for five millisecond seconds. >>>>

logik wrote: »
    187kmph is a ****ing joke. If she hit anything at that speed, the carnage would have been unreal. "I did not realise I was driving that fast" is complete nonsense. Anyone else would be banned for 6 months minimum.

Yep, like those people last week. Which I believe were doing slightly lower speeds. May be wrong on that though.
    Didn't even get any points which makes it even worse IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I would have let her off with a slap on the arse too.

I mean wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Poor judge thinks he has a chance with her because he went easy on her. Not a chance.

If you can't hit a ton on the motorway where can you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

Is this the same judge that bans people from driving for 6 months for parking in handicapped spots?

Staplor wrote: »
    Is this the same judge that bans people from driving for 6 months for parking in handicapped spots?

Now now, less of that, they obviously were not as easy on the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

no wonder the gaurds dont bother at times, bad enough the guys above them removing penalty points, now we see the judges not giving them.

ah this is gas isn't it. What must the producers of those graphic speeding ads be thinking? All the wasted air time letting us know gardai vans are on the motorway and all we have to do is wear a belly top and bat our lashes?? Is this real???

so I can do 150 down the motorway now and when I'm in court explain that I was too busy getting head to notice the speedometer yeah?. Once the same judge cleans himself up and and changes his underwear, Im good to go yeah?

Staplor wrote: »

Link please! That sounds hilarious!
    rusty cole wrote: »
    so I can do 150 down the motorway now and when I'm in court explain that I was too busy getting head to notice the speedometer yeah?. Once the same judge cleans himself up and and changes his underwear, Im good to go yeah?

Nobody called Rusty can get away with that.

Sorry Rusty.

Sorry Rusty.

ya see dats were youar rong see!! I gotz me a southern drawl that can mealt ice and hearts ya'll!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I really feel for any big hairy fella that would give that response in this judges courtroom:)

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    ah this is gas isn't it. What must the producers of those graphic speeding ads be thinking? All the wasted air time letting us know gardai vans are on the motorway and all we have to do is wear a belly top and bat our lashes?? Is this real???

You may have a wee bit of a problem if you didn't shave your legs and have a slight overhang round the belly.

porsche959 wrote: »
    <<< Fakes outrage for five millisecond seconds. >>>>

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending driving at 187kph, nor am I defending the apparent undue leniency in the judge's decision.

But these 'outraged and incandescent with rage' threads don't actually accomplish anything. The broader issue here and in similar cases is really about failure to apply consistent sentencing and/or an apparent failure of whatever disciplinary code exists for judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

"Beauty" Queen... Maybe by Limerick standards....

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending driving at 187kph, nor am I defending the apparent undue leniency in the judge's decision.

But these 'outraged and incandescent with rage' threads don't actually accomplish anything. The broader issue here and in similar cases is really about failure to apply consistent sentencing and/or an apparent failure of whatever disciplinary code exists for judges.

You think so?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

An absolute joke, only in the paper the previous week there was a write up about a judge convicting people for dangerous driving for speeds less than this in a motorway around limerick.
      Billy Jones of Ballinagoul was convicted of careless driving arising from driving at 172kmp in a 120kph zone. The incident took place at 11.25am last March 3 at Cloghacloka, Patrickswell.
    “It is a crazy speed. I don’t know how you could get up that far,” Judge Larkin said

• William McCarthy, Shady Nook, Carribane, Carrigtwohill was fined €750, having been clocked driving at 162kph in a 120kph zone on March 3.
    • Arturs Stefenbergs, 14 Dun na Rí, Ennis was conivted of careless driving after speeds of 164kph in a 120kph zone on June 19 and fined €750.
    • Raymond Ryan, Ballinakill West, Newtown, Charleville was also convicted of careless driving, having been clocked at a speed of 154kph in a 120kph zone last February 4 and fined €650. The judge refused an application by his solicitor John Lynch to reduce the charge.
    • Conor McCormack, 47 O’Connell Street Limerick was fined €650 on a speeding charge of driving at 140kph in a 120kph zone last January 22. He was fined a further €300 for having no acertificate of road worthiness.
    • Krzystof Kudlacik, 124 Glenside, Annacotty was convicted of careless driving while speeding at 169kph in a 120kph zone at Cloghacloka last April 3. He was fined €750.
    • A Cork driver – Patrick Beechinor, Carhoogariff, Clonakily – was speeding at 161kph in a 120kph zone and was fined €750 when convicted of careless driving last April 6.
    • Another Cork driver, George Alastair Durant, of Bannon House, Lee Rd, Carrigbrohane was similarly convicted of careless driving last March 15 when doing 160kph in a 120kph zone.
    • “It is very high,” Judge Larkin noted to Mr Durant’s solicitor, Michael O’Donnell, when he pleaded for his client. and she imposed a €650 fined.
    • A Newport man responding to a sudden death in the family was clocked at a speed of 159kph in a 120kph zone at Ballybrouge South, Patrickswell last March 23. John Crofton, 20 Mulcaire Manor, Newport was fined €500 on conviction of careless driving.

None of the above were "beauty queens"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I really feel for any big hairy fella that would give that response in this judges courtroom:)

Imagine them being told something like "no need to be so cute, stop acting like you have a brass neck ...could have happen... ashamed...moron...expletive.. 2 year ban."

• Advertisement

caustic 1 wrote: »
    You think so?

:rolleyes:

I don't understand your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

bear1 wrote: »
    This story was doing the rounds on the Motors section last night and today I see it has made the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/187kph-beauty-queen-escapes-drive-ban-30650507.html

The fact that she said she "didn't know" at what speed she was travelling would have been enough for me to ban her.
    Absolutely shameful that she got praised for her honesty, fined 500e and from what I've reading feck all points on the licence.
    I give up at this stage how the justice system works in this country.
    I'd say the poor bastards that were banned last week for similar actions must be fairly pi33ed off at the ruling.

sure what's wrong with putting lives at risk to keep an arthodontic appointment that you've probably already missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There are people getting away with fines for speeding on a very regular basis but because she's a pretty beauty queen she has to deal with the extra bollox of a rag like the indo running a story on it.

This isn't news.

Disagree - i think the crazy speed and the stupid excuse make the story

Ps - completely agree with you on calling the indo a rag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The only thing that refreshed the judge were her perky tits and tight ass

cronin_j wrote: »
    An absolute joke, only in the paper the previous week there was a write up about a judge convicting people for dangerous driving for speeds less than this in a motorway around limerick.
      Billy Jones of Ballinagoul was convicted of careless driving arising from driving at 172kmp in a 120kph zone. The incident took place at 11.25am last March 3 at Cloghacloka, Patrickswell.

• William McCarthy, Shady Nook, Carribane, Carrigtwohill was fined €750, having been clocked driving at 162kph in a 120kph zone on March 3.
    • Arturs Stefenbergs, 14 Dun na Rí, Ennis was conivted of careless driving after speeds of 164kph in a 120kph zone on June 19 and fined €750.
    • Raymond Ryan, Ballinakill West, Newtown, Charleville was also convicted of careless driving, having been clocked at a speed of 154kph in a 120kph zone last February 4 and fined €650. The judge refused an application by his solicitor John Lynch to reduce the charge.
    • Conor McCormack, 47 O’Connell Street Limerick was fined €650 on a speeding charge of driving at 140kph in a 120kph zone last January 22. He was fined a further €300 for having no acertificate of road worthiness.
    • Krzystof Kudlacik, 124 Glenside, Annacotty was convicted of careless driving while speeding at 169kph in a 120kph zone at Cloghacloka last April 3. He was fined €750.
    • A Cork driver – Patrick Beechinor, Carhoogariff, Clonakily – was speeding at 161kph in a 120kph zone and was fined €750 when convicted of careless driving last April 6.
    • Another Cork driver, George Alastair Durant, of Bannon House, Lee Rd, Carrigbrohane was similarly convicted of careless driving last March 15 when doing 160kph in a 120kph zone.
    • “It is very high,” Judge Larkin noted to Mr Durant’s solicitor, Michael O’Donnell, when he pleaded for his client. and she imposed a €650 fined.
    • A Newport man responding to a sudden death in the family was clocked at a speed of 159kph in a 120kph zone at Ballybrouge South, Patrickswell last March 23. John Crofton, 20 Mulcaire Manor, Newport was fined €500 on conviction of careless driving.
    T
    None of the above were "beauty queens"

So looks like a fine is a pretty standard result.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a outraged incandescent with rage thread. I think it's a joke, laughable that it can happen. I happen to think that no thread on here accomplishes anything except to vent, laugh, sometimes comfort and talk. Failure to apply consistent sentencing is nothing new. To me you come across more outraged and incandescent than anyone. Perhaps just the way I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

kneemos wrote: »
    So looks like a fine is a pretty standard result.

But a conviction of careless driving also, which carries a 5 point penalty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

And she will have lovelier teeth too after a visit to the orthodontist. I'd say she has learned a lesson and other people will learn from the publicity not to speed either.

Everybody has speeded at some point,don't get the outrage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

cronin_j wrote: »
    But a conviction of careless driving also, which carries a 5 point penalty!

She will get PP for being convicted of speeding though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Back home 'sorry officer I didn't realize' or 'I didn't know what speed I was going at' is deemed the worst possible answer.
    Because it's translates into not only am I doing a bad thing, but on top of it I'm obviously not even in control of what I'm doing. It's the opposite if mitigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In America, your car is impounded if you are caught doing over a 25mph. The fines are huge also. That speed should be one thousand euro at least.

Sorry Rusty.

Here's the link.

Same judge and all.

She will get PP for being convicted of speeding though?

Apparently no points were given. Just the fine.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    In America, your car is impounded if you are caught doing over a 25mph. The fines are huge also. That speed should be one thousand euro at least.

That's because traffic fines directly fund the police force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement