Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

187kph and only gets fined.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

LillySV wrote: »
    Sam Kade wrote: »

haha..im not the one callin the model common! :D
    Just imagine her without the makeup and wearing plain clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just imagine her without the makeup and wearing plain clothes.
    I'm sure she can suck just as well...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What are you trying to prove? That they should both receive the same punishment?

Yes. Speeding fines should be graded depending on percentage

F.e up to 10% over the limit - no fine.
    Up to 30% over - €80, 2points.
    Up to 50% over - €200, 4 points.
    Up to 70% over - €500, 8 points
    Up to 100% over - €1000, 3 months ban
    More than 100% over - €2500, 2 years ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

CiniO wrote: »

F.e up to 10% over the limit - no difference
    Up to 30% over - €80, €5 reward
    Up to 50% over - €200,€10 reward
    Up to 70% over - €500, €15 reward
    Up to 100% over - €1000, €30 reward
    More than 100% over - €1000 reward plus free membership to the irish golden circle where members can break the country without any penalty and get the ordinary man pay for it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why's that? My van does 160 at its ease. A decent car ought to do 180 at its leisure. They should change their signs and limits, any fool can paint out 120 and make it 180 at a stroke. The 2 becomes an 8 with the one line. The limits are from decades ago. Time and technology move on.

So do traffic volumes.
    And human reaction times and ability to survive high G impact, remain unchanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

josip wrote: »
    So do traffic volumes.
    And human reaction times and ability to survive high G impact, remain unchanged.

I'll just chuck "Autobahn" into the mix and wander off. Our motorways are actually way safer and better designed. So are our roadworks. Seems to work nicely there tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'll just chuck "Autobahn" into the mix and wander off. Our motorways are actually way safer and better designed. So are our roadworks. Seems to work nicely there tho..

What relevance does the Autobahn have to our motorways? The Autobahn has specified stretches where there is no limit, and it was designed specifically to allow for this. Irish motorways were never designed for such. And no, our road networks are not better than in Germany, that is simply nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

funny, abroad they already have such a sliding system of fines which saves
    a ) taking a day in court
    b ) taking a guard off duty as a court witness that he witness what he witnessed

for example in Germany on national roads or motorways the penalty for speeding (for the amount youre over the limit) is like this:
    up to 10 km/h 10,- EUR
    11-15 km/h 20 EUR
    16-20 km/h 30 EUR
    21-25 km/h 70 EUR, 1 Point
    26-30 km/h 80 EUR, 1 Point
    31-40 km/h 120 EUR, 1 Point
    41-50 km/h 160 EUR, 2 Points, 1 Month Ban
    51-60 km/h 240 EUR, 2 Points, 1 Month Ban
    61-70 km/h 440 EUR, 2 Points, 2 Month Ban
    70 km/h+ 600 EUR, 2 Points, 3 Month Ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

funny, abroad they already have such a sliding system of fines which saves
    a ) taking a day in court
    b ) taking a guard off duty as a court witness that he witness what he witnessed

for example in Germany on national roads or motorways the penalty for speeding (for the amount youre over the limit) is like this:

Yea, that kind of system is used nearly everywhere.
    I was really surprised that there is no such thing in Ireland when I moved here.

However this is based on amount above the limit, not percentage above the limit.
    Percentage IMO makes more sense for the reasons I outlined earlier in this thread
    On the other hand, there's one big catch with percentage system. At low speeds it's very easy to double the speed without even noticing and making yourself liable for huge fines.
    I.e. you won't do 240km/h on 120km/h limit without knowing it or doing it on purpose, so fine for 100% over the limit should be really harsh.
    But on 20km/h limit it's not that impossible that someone will fly through at 40km/h without even noticing.
    Maybe that's the reason why percentage system is not being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

But on 20km/h limit it's not that impossible that someone will fly through at 40km/h without even noticing.

I disagree. If you can't tell the diff between 20kmh and 40kmh, you still shouldn't be driving alone.

jimgoose wrote: »
    110 or so on a motorway in a big-ish Merc saloon. Big whoop.

+1, car would only be cursing at that and capable of a lot more.

People driving around in tin cans of cars think its some manic speed. 100 mph+ in my car is just ticking over, almost asking you to give it more. Feels more at ease than 50 mph in a small city car like a yaris, fiesta, corolla etc (or other tin box that a lot of people drive).

People need to remember the speed limits were made up in someones head decades ago when roads were terrible and cars weren't a patch on a modern machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

187kph in a 1.4 golf and she didn't know how fast she was going? Bollox, maybe if it was a Rolls Royce Phantom you might not notice, but in a golf? She must have been barely touching the road at that pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

MadYaker wrote: »
    187kph in a 1.4 golf and she didn't know how fast she was going? Bollox, maybe if it was a Rolls Royce Phantom you might not notice, but in a golf? She must have been barely touching the road at that pace.

She wasn't driving her own Golf, she was driving her mother's Mercedes E220.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1, car would only be cursing at that and capable of a lot more.

People driving around in tin cans of cars think its some manic speed. 100 mph+ in my car is just ticking over, almost asking you to give it more. Feels more at ease than 50 mph in a small city car like a yaris, fiesta, corolla etc (or other tin box that a lot of people drive).

People need to remember the speed limits were made up in someones head decades ago when roads were terrible and cars weren't a patch on a modern machine.
    aigh, and since then the standard limits are in Kilometres per hour, and not miles.

• Advertisement

aigh, and since then the standard limits are in Kilometres per hour, and not miles.

So? I don't like Kilometers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jimgoose wrote: »
    She wasn't driving her own Golf, she was driving her mother's Mercedes E220.

Well that's a bit more understandable I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Not really that fast for motorway driving TBH. A fine is appropriate for being caught speeding.

Advertisement