Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kennel

• 09-10-2014 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

We bought Rufus a new kennel last week. I know we probably should have bought it at the start of the summer, but funds didn't allow it.

Now, I realise he wasn't going to jump straight straight into it, but he is showing no interest at all, even showing fear. I will put treats into it and his food and he will lean in and stretch himself all the way in without actually going all the way in.

It is a very big kennel and he would easily be able to stand up inside it.

Is it just a case that some dogs just wont go in to these things, or is it a softly softly and he will get used to it eventually?

Comments

Best thing to do if you haven't already is give him access to it all day so that he can climb in and out and explore it on his own terms. Make it as cosy and as warm as possible with loads of bedding inside. Reward him every time he climbs in and out with a really delicious smelly treat like cheese. If he has a favourite spot to sit in the garden, like at the door of the house, then maybe try moving the kennel there to see if that makes a difference.

In saying all that, certain dogs do just hate enclosed spaces or might just be too stupid to go in lol. My lab loves her kennel but my chihuahua/JR x would rather sit out in the rain at the door than go in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Is cheese ok for dogs ?.....I thought it was on the forbidden/ low intake list

Advertisement