Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark/ Black Lager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

oblivious wrote: »
    Yes 6 sorry, they should. its a great baltic porter :)

Had to double check it myself! :)

Great beer and great value. (Although it recently went from €1.99 to €2.10! The cheek...)

Perhaps the OP might segue towards porters?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Good news! Baltika 6 is a dark lager! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Yeah, dont get me wrong, I do like most beers, stouts, ales, etc; I am just specifically looking to findmore Dark/ Black lagers.

I've had some of those Baltika Beers before, i think it was very dark Ruby red in colour which was quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Look out for Monteith's Black - a very good example of the style imo, and at one time was my favourite beer.

I've definitely bought it in McHugh's in the last 18 months or so.

Unsure if they still have it.

Monteith's was a small indie brewery in New Zealand ten years ago when I was there, but has been bought up by a big boy recently enough afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Monteith's was a small indie brewery in New Zealand ten years ago when I was there, but has been bought up by a big boy recently enough afaik.
    Redmonds carries some of their 'Brewers Series' beers if you are ever over that direction

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Good news! Baltika 6 is a dark lager! :cool:

So porter my name only? The sneaky snakes...

Another 'proper' one for the list so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

drumswan wrote: »
    Redmonds carries some of their 'Brewers Series' beers if you are ever over that direction

southside? I doubt it :p

I dont think Baltika 6 is lagered.

I didn't think so either but I don't know the inner workings of Baltika/Carlsberg brewing and marketing departments.

That said I'm going to find a bottle and see if the word porter is on it and in parenthesis! :)

lk67 wrote: »
    So porter my name only?
    Specifically a Baltic Porter, which are normally cold-fermented.

• Advertisement

Specifically a Baltic Porter, which are normally cold-fermented.

That I did not know. Every days a schoolday.

That I did not know. Every days a schoolday.
    But ignore the bit in that link about Baltic Porter being brewed extra strong to survive at sea. It's as untrue for Baltic Porter as it is for Imperial Stout and India Pale Ale. A few of the sites I've looked at also conflate Baltic Porter and Imperial Porter, which just seems wrong to me. Baltic Porter is an historic style whereas Imperial Porter is something the Americans made up last Wednesday.

Is there some historicity to the 'Russian Imperial Porter' thing then? Brewed in London for the Czars or somesuch?

Im glad the yanks invented Imperial Porter last Wednesday. :) Im glad about lots of things they do!

Imperial Russian Stout was brewed by London breweries like Barclay Perkins and Whitbread for export to the Russian aristocracy. It was strong because the Russians liked their beer strong. Funny that. But they wouldn't have called it "Imperial Russian Porter" because a porter at that strength is a stout.

Specifically a Baltic Porter which are normally cold-fermented.

Ya see? Education and a mild scolding all in the one! :)

Might be one for the OP to try so, as it might gave some of the qualities he seeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Is there some historicity to the 'Russian Imperial Porter' thing then? Brewed in London for the Czars or somesuch?

Im glad the yanks invented Imperial Porter last Wednesday. :) Im glad about lots of things they do!

Burton ale was the original export beer/ale to Russia in the time of Queen Ann

The beernut has filled in the stout-porter side,. The lager aspect of Baltic porter come from A. Le Coq who set was a exporter of stout set up on there own in 1912 buy buying the Tivoli lager brewery in modern day Estonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

Konig Ludwig Dunkel is a very nice dark lager. Not sure if I have ever seen it here but I spent many an evening drinking it in Germany.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3900/4617/

Augustiner Dunkel is also not bad and I have seen that in Ireland in McHughs on the Malahide Road who certaily had it for a long time but have not checked recently.

Those are both Munich Dark Lager style and not dunkel weissbiers.

babaracus wrote: »
    Konig Ludwig Dunkel is a very nice dark lager. Not sure if I have ever seen it here ...

Had it in Disneyland Paris a couple of years back. Was my saviour! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

babaracus wrote: »
    Konig Ludwig Dunkel is a very nice dark lager. Not sure if I have ever seen it here but I spent many an evening drinking it in Germany.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3900/4617/

Augustiner Dunkel is also not bad and I have seen that in Ireland in McHughs on the Malahide Road who certaily had it for a long time but have not checked recently.

I had both in Munich last weekend. They are indeed nice, though hardly full of flavour. It's an interesting style, perhaps overlooked.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had both in Munich last weekend. They are indeed nice, though hardly full of flavour. It's an interesting style, perhaps overlooked.

Paulaner Dunkel (lager) is another nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

To be honest I'd never really arrived at the distinction between dunkel beers and dunkel wheat beers until last weekend. It was a pleasant realisation. So, in fact, it was certainly overlooked by me.

Poor old Budvar Dark. Sadly missed.

The likes of Pifko and The Czech Inn usually have Kozel Dark on draught.

I've seen Krušovice Dark in SuperValu recently -- it's pretty decent. Probably my favourite dark lager is BrewDog's Zeitgeist but availability is spotty. Decent offies like Redmond's or Deveney's would be the places in south Dublin to try on spec.

Thanks all for the replies, it appears to be a harder to obtain beer style than light/ helles type beers.

I tried the Krušovice Dark and Carmeleiten (I think) from Supervalu and they were both very nice, so once they are always available, I will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I want to keep this thread going; I'm looking for some Munich/Bavarian dark lager á la Augustiner as mentioned above. Cork tips if possible! Ayinger's Altbairisch Dunkel was one of the best beers I had in Munich but I'd settle for some Hofbrau Dunkel.

White Gypsy Dunkel pouring at Savour Kilkenny at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Kozel Dark - Czech beer, I last saw it in Lidl in Cambrils, Spain & previously in Prague. For me, its a lovely beer.
    The likes of Pifko and The Czech Inn usually have Kozel Dark on draught.
    Sorry for digging a year old thread, looking for Kozel in Galway...
    Any chance of finding it? Lidl has it in Dublin?

Wizard! wrote: »
    Sorry for digging a year old thread, looking for Kozel in Galway...
    Any chance of finding it? Lidl has it in Dublin?

Have you tried some of the eastern European shops one near me is selling a crate of 20 bottles for 40-42 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

oblivious wrote: »
    Have you tried some of the eastern European shops one near me is selling a crate of 20 bottles for 40-42 euro
    Just 4 months in Galway, so if you can be more specific :)

Wizard! wrote: »
    Just 4 months in Galway, so if you can be more specific :)

Sorry not from or living in Galway myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

None of the Eastern European shops in Galway have a beer licence as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Just resurrecting an old thread of mine with an update...Lidl have cans of Black Lager for €1.49 (I think). I tried one last night, its ok, it doesn't have a very strong coffee/ chocolatey taste that I like.

Worth a try!

Has anyone any other updates?

Advertisement