Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Leinster
    London Welsh against Bordeaux now. Talebula getting a crack at Welsh's "defense".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    matthew8 wrote: »
    London Welsh against Bordeaux now. Talebula getting a crack at Welsh's "defense".

Fantastic player, hopefully he can really announce himself at the World Cup. Bordeaux did really well to tie him down to a long-term deal (until summer 2017) I think.

Leinster
    And Talebula begins. Looks like one try on the board for him. Left himself no margin with the kick through.

Leinster
    Another easy 50 is gonna be put up on Welsh if they don't wake up. You'd almost wonder if an AIL team could put it up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Wow Welsh are bad.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Wow Welsh are bad.....

Let's just pretend they're not there for a while, we won't have to worry about them from next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Let's just pretend they're not there for a while, we won't have to worry about them from next season.

Well, pretending that would make it easier to explain the scorelines every week I suppose!

Leinster
    Well taken score from Welsh there in fairness.

Leinster
    And back to wet paper bag. 13-45 after 53 mins. Crikey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster
    It sounds like Welsh are awful, but Bordeaux are a bloody good side. The play lovely rugby and are going well in the Top 14.

• Advertisement

Leinster
    That's one way to get the French interested in the competition anyway, let them beat the English a few times!

Leinster
    That's one way to get the French interested in the competition anyway, let them beat the English a few times!

Strangely, Bordeaux picked a weaker side at home last week. I guess they underestimated Edinburgh. Hopefully they'll make the knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just noticed PaddyPower have Northampton at 1/8 vs Ospreys (9/2). I know the Saints are a very decent side, but I'd have thought those are very generous odds for Ospreys. It wouldn't surprise me too much to see them get a result there.

Leinster
    who_me wrote: »
    Just noticed PaddyPower have Northampton at 1/8 vs Ospreys (9/2). I know the Saints are a very decent side, but I'd have thought those are very generous odds for Ospreys. It wouldn't surprise me too much to see them get a result there.

Gosh - I would expect this mathch to be tight - Northampton are good but Ospreys are going well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Leinster
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Gosh - I would expect this mathch to be tight - Northampton are good but Ospreys are going well too.

A 13 point handicap is pretty mad too.

Fill yer boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    agreed

we're three times champions

we're a scalp any team would want

Yep and Leinster had a better team last year too. Don't forget that Castres put it up to Leinster in the RDS too last year. I'd imagine a tough game is in store...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Leinster
    You're underestimating Northampton, they routinely smash teams at home. They're not English champions for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You're underestimating Northampton, they routinely smash teams at home. They're not English champions for nothing.

No one's denying they're favourites, but 1/8? That's almost completely writing off Ospreys who are a decent team.

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »

Fitzgerald back for Leinster makes the backline look a lot more cohesive and formidable now.

Leinster
    Sexton starting in Treviso

Leinster
    who_me wrote: »
    No one's denying they're favourites, but 1/8? That's almost completely writing off Ospreys who are a decent team.

They're probably the second best side in Europe. I count only 3 Ospreys (Biggar, AWJ, Bishop) who are better than their opposite numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

They're probably the second best side in Europe. I count only 3 Ospreys (Biggar, AWJ, Bishop) who are better than their opposite numbers.
    Saints second best in Europe?? Come off it.

Leinster
    funtime93 wrote: »
    Saints second best in Europe?? Come off it.

Why not? English champions. Toulon are better but I struggle to put any other side ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Northampton
    Why not? English champions. Toulon are better but I struggle to put any other side ahead of them.
    Ummm, Clermont? Leinster? Sarries? Munster?

In a big European game i'd back Leinster,Munster,Ulster,Sarries,Clermont to beat them.And obviously Toulon.

Leinster
    In a big European game i'd back Leinster,Munster,Ulster,Sarries,Clermont to beat them.And obviously Toulon.

Have you seen much of Northampton playing this year?

Leinster
    rrpc wrote: »
    Ummm, Clermont? Leinster? Sarries?

Leinster on last year's form, not on this year's. Couldn't possibly rate Clermont that high after the end of last season. Saracens are up there but I'd rather Northampton, after all they did lose to Northampton in the final last year, and Northampton probably had the better of their regular season games (won 41-20 home, how many sides do that to Saracens?).

• Advertisement

Leinster on last year's form, not on this year's. Couldn't possibly rate Clermont that high after the end of last season. Saracens are up there but I'd rather Northampton, after all they did lose to Northampton in the final last year, and Northampton probably had the better of their regular season games (won 41-20 home, how many sides do that to Saracens?).
    Do the second best teams in Europe get raped at home by leinster and not get out of their group? Also,they have 0 points so far.

Leinster
    Do the second best teams in Europe get raped at home by leinster and not get out of their group? Also,they have 0 points so far.

Come on, they were very unlucky not to get out of the pool last year. Intercept try away to Castres cost them, had one proper off day with a load of injuries home to Leinster but other than that did very well. Mugs don't win in the Aviva stadium. 0 points from their last game because they lost the LBP trying to chase it. Hardly an indication they lack quality.

Leinster

That's a really silly comment. They were badly affected by injury during the group stages last season after a very strong start in their domestic league. They still managed a dominant win in the Aviva stadium.

This season they've managed the same strong start in the domestic league and managed to avoid the same injury problem. 5 wins and 5 bonus points in 6 games.

It's clear to see Toulon are the strongest side in Europe. After that there is a legitimate claim for Northampton although Clermont are also a good shout.

Leinster
    No Eastmond and another poor back row named for Bath. There won't be a better chance for a team to win away in this pool. Europe could be all over for Bath after 2 weeks. If they can get through it though Houston and Louw will make a big difference for the Christmas double-header.

That's a really silly comment. They were badly affected by injury during the group stages last season after a very strong start in their domestic league. They still managed a dominant win in the Aviva stadium.

This season they've managed the same strong start in the domestic league and managed to avoid the same injury problem. 5 wins and 5 bonus points in 6 games.

It's clear to see Toulon are the strongest side in Europe. After that there is a legitimate claim for Northampton although Clermont are also a good shout.

You have to say that Toulon are the best team in Europe right now and then there are a few teams vying for the next spot. Northampton haven't done enough in Europe since their final appearance in Cardiff for me to consider them a true superpower at the minute but they are certainly in the discussion.

Leinster, Munster and Ulster haven't fired so far this year, Leicester aren't the force of old, Clermont are like most French clubs, a lot weaker away from home and the Welsh usually flatter to deceive. I'd have no problem saying that Saints are second best in Europe but I'd also have no problem saying Leinster, Sarries or Clermont are either.

The one thing I think about this game is like Glasgow, the Ospreys are on a nice little run and are full of confidence in their own ability. That normally counts for a good deal when going to tough places to play like Franklin Gardens. The -13 is probably justified on previous years (Ospreys haven't got out of their pool for years) but it's not something I'd be backing. Gun to head I'd take Ospreys on that line just because as I said, confident teams don't usually get beaten out the gate.

Leinster
    Looking like the ultimate embarrassment for French teams in the Challenge cup, Zebre about to beat Brive in Brive, and Zebre are resting as many players as Brive.

• Advertisement

Leinster
    Grenoble have lost at home.....London Irish beat them. And La Rochelle beat Bayonne. Dragons lost to Newcastle. Edinburgh beat Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster
    Just on Northampton, I don't know about second best in Europe, but they are the best English side at the moment and are certainly caoable of winning the competition. Disappointing start for them last week though in not getting anything in Paris which doesn't help.

Leinster
    bilston wrote: »
    Just on Northampton, I don't know about second best in Europe, but they are the best English side at the moment and are certainly caoable of winning the competition. Disappointing start for them last week though in not getting anything in Paris which doesn't help.

Indeed. Two hands George. Two hands.

UnacceptableContentAoudad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Saracens
    Is my screen messed up or is Toulouse's jersey orange?

NVM: It's just a very bold red....

Leinster
    Bath 7-6 down at half time, they've probably had the better of play but also had a wind.

• Advertisement

Toulon winning away from home today is probably already after setting them up for a home QF, they'll be hard to beat in the knockout games again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glasgow
    Bruce Craig's dream of having a French team is complete, Bath are absolutely useless in Europe.

Leinster
    Toulouse with the third try now and you can probably say goodbye to Bath in Europe this year. Scary prospect that Toulon, Toulouse, Montpellier, Racing and Clermont could all get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glasgow
    Toulose do the job, and Bath are probably going out.

Leinster
    Bath and Ulster 0 for 2, French teams finally winning away from home, and those 2 are probably the first casualties of the tournament.

I don't like this crack of both teams exiting the tunnel at the same time, as a fan I prefer to welcome the visiting team first then cheer out the home team. It's part of a home game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow
    Foden you butcher.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clermont
    Just seen Tommy Seymour going off on a stretcher on oxygen and in a neck brace. Hope it's not serious

Leinster
    Can referees please agree on whether they take momentum into account for forward passes? Hartley denied a try as Poite didn't take it into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That Northampton turnover came from Myler lying on the wrong side with no intention to go anywhere blocking the guys attempting to clean out, annoys the piss out of me when refs just ignore that

• Advertisement
Advertisement