Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What costs more to run?

Options
  • 09-10-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Want to see what costs more to run a house with oil central heating and maybe open fire or apartment with electric storage heaters? What be the average cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It comes down to certain factors. ..
    How well each building is insulated, how old the oil boiler is, how old the storage heaters are, etc etc.
    Usually electric storage heaters are very costly to run and can be quite difficult to control at times.
    There are several threads on the subject throughout Boards on the subject.
    In my opinion go for the oil and block the chimney with a chimney balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't forget the factor in the probability of oil-theft in your neighbourhood. This is organised affair, and losing E800 worth of oil a couple of times can make a relatively un-tamper-with-able ESB bill look attractive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hopgirl wrote: »
    Want to see what costs more to run a house with oil central heating and maybe open fire or apartment with electric storage heaters? What be the average cost?

Did the auctioneer offer a BER ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It comes down to certain factors. ..
    How well each building is insulated, how old the oil boiler is, how old the storage heaters are, etc etc.
    Usually electric storage heaters are very costly to run and can be quite difficult to control at times.
    There are several threads on the subject throughout Boards on the subject.
    In my opinion go for the oil and block the chimney with a chimney balloon.

The storage heaters would be roughly 15 to 18 years old. Well I would put a fire on as I like a open fires.
    Don't forget the factor in the probability of oil-theft in your neighbourhood. This is organised affair, and losing E800 worth of oil a couple of times can make a relatively un-tamper-with-able ESB bill look attractive.

I wouldn't have that much in the oil tank would be €200 max. The only thing that is putting me off storage heaters due to me living in a apartment before and the bill would be so high.
    BryanF wrote: »
    Did the auctioneer offer a BER ?

I am looking at renting than buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You should still be able to find out the BER regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Once you know how to set the storage heaters, they're not that expensive. Across a year, the average two-monthly bill would be maybe €130 max, if you err on the higher side, for two people in a mid-terrace house.

But it will depend on a lot of things, such as the insulation, heat leakage etc etc.

I am looking at renting than buying.

Since 2009, landlords are required by law to have a building energy rating done whenever they offer a property for sale or rent, unless their premises are among a small number of excluded properties

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Get a little Stanley woodburner or equivalent instead of the open fireplace, the difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

Once you know how to set the storage heaters, they're not that expensive. Across a year, the average two-monthly bill would be maybe €130 max, if you err on the higher side, for two people in a mid-terrace house.

But it will depend on a lot of things, such as the insulation, heat leakage etc etc.

This.
    We actually stopped using the gas heating about 4 years ago and got electric storage heaters in.

We put aside how much we used to spend on gas in a year at the beginning of the year, and used that to pay the extra electricity used, that was above our normal electricity usage.
    And we ended up that the storage heaters were actually costing just slightly more than half what gas heating was costing.

I was sceptical when a friend suggested doing this, as he had done it. Im converted now.
    Learn how to use your storage heaters and they will be cheaper than fossil fuels.

Thanks for the replys. Going to see apartment to rent it has a E1 rating it looks a lovely apartment.
    Maybe I wasn't using the storage heaters right before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Storage heaters are a disaster, avoid if possible.
    you basically need to decide the night before how much heat you will need the following day.

Thanks for the replys. Going to see apartment to rent it has a E1 rating it looks a lovely apartment.

For an apartment the difference between a C and and A isnt all that much when it comes down to it. But the difference between an E and an A is big.
    I wouldnt rent an apartment with less than a C BER

I see that some places has the ber rating done and some have not. If I request they might give the place to someone else.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Storage heaters are a disaster, avoid if possible.
    you basically need to decide the night before how much heat you will need the following day.

And this is an example of not knowing how to use a storage heater :)
    No wonder it costs you a fortune.

ffactj wrote: »
    For an apartment the difference between a C and and A isnt all that much when it comes down to it. But the difference between an E and an A is big.

Maybe that is why no-one has rented the place yet. It has being up for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I could never get storage heaters to work in a inexpensive way. I find gas way better. I'd be very reluctant to go with a place with storage heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The BER has flaws if I like a place I wouldn't let that put me off. Simply things like putting in LED and programmable timer will increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I see that some places has the ber rating done and some have not. If I request they might give the place to someone else.

Legally they all should have a BER

ted1 wrote: »
    The BER has flaws if I like a place I wouldn't let that put me off. Simply things like putting in LED and programmable timer will increase it.

Thats why i wouldnt worry about one with a C rating and the gap between that and an A.
    An E rating has a lot more than LEDs and a programmable timer as a gap between that and an a though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

ted1 wrote: »

What light bulbs are in too.

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    What light bulbs are in too.
    i think thats what he means by LED

Thank you again. So I am sorry so by putting energy saving lights in to save energy. I thought the BER rating was also to do with how insulated the place was to keep the heat in?

Thank you again. So I am sorry so by putting energy saving lights in to save energy. I thought the BER rating was also to do with how insulated the place was to keep the heat in?

The BER covers all aspects of energy consumption. It looks at the insulation, windows, ventilation etc but it will also take lighting into account.

Putting in LEDs will improve it but not by much. But if you're renting it's one of the few low cost things you can do to reduce costs.

And this is an example of not knowing how to use a storage heater :)
    No wonder it costs you a fortune.

I think maybe you weren't using your gas heating properly.
    Please explain how to use a storage heater then, if I have it wrong.

How do you heat your water?

I think maybe you weren't using your gas heating properly.
    Please explain how to use a storage heater then, if I have it wrong.

How do you heat your water?

Yeah im probably the only person in the world who can figure out electric storage heating but who cant figure out gas heating so.

Water gets heated on a timer. Heated in the morning on half price electricity.
    Still hot at night. Could be boosted for 20 mins if needed but probably only needed to do that 4 or 5 times in a year tbh,

Yeah im probably the only person in the world who can figure out electric storage heating but who cant figure out gas heating so.

Water gets heated on a timer. Heated in the morning on half price electricity.
    Still hot at night. Could be boosted for 20 mins if needed but probably only needed to do that 4 or 5 times in a year tbh,

So you're using an emmersion once per day for all your hot water, thats impressive, depending on how long its on for.
    And the explanation of what I got wrong on the storage heater use?
    I grew up in a house with storage heaters, maybe we were using them wrong.

So you're using an emmersion once per day for all your hot water, thats impressive, depending on how long its on for.
    And the explanation of what I got wrong on the storage heater use?
    I grew up in a house with storage heaters, maybe we were using them wrong.

Well Obviously you were not using them correctly, if you are only looking for instructions on how to use them now.

Do you think that an insulated tank of water heated in the morning wont last all day?

Do you know how gas heating heats your water tank? Do you know how electric heating heats your water tank? Do you know which is the more efficient transfer of the energy?

For your question to me about the mistakes you were making with your storage heating I need more information from you.

How were you operating them (if you dont tell me this how can i possibly tell you what you did wrong)?
    Whats the make and model of your storage heaters?

Sure i'll google the instructions for you if you cant use google either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Really depends on the place, storage heaters are pretty ok option in a highly insulated modern building, but otherwise I would go with a heating option that you turn on while you are there.

We have them in our place (pretty old one I might add) and they are not so good, would add about € 130-150 onto the electric bill, which is not so bad in iteself if you can rely on the building to retain the heat. But in our rented appartment even with the output at zero much of it is gone by the time we get home because of crappy insulation, so I have to mostly rely on an open fire to do the job instead.

Getting a bit stroppy there, no need.
    I'm talking about the basic principle of storage heaters.....

So you still havent addressed my point, do you have to decide today, what/if any heat you will need tomorrow?

If you need instant heat and your heaters weren't charged the night before, what do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

They are not designed for instant heat. They are designed to maintain a nice ambient temperature over a long period.

You need a well insulated place for them to work well (same as most heating methods).

You do lose the ability to get a quick boost of heat, but that's a comprosmise you have to consider yourself.

Advertisement