Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre options for a Road Racer

Options
  • 09-10-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Quick question, I currently cycle a Felt F85 to work in Dublin - twice a week...
    Terrain is Suburbs, Phoenix Park, and City Streets, default tyres have been fine until now.
    However the tyres are slick 700c 23c

Is it possible to put slightly bigger tyres which are suitable for wet roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

gavinfitz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question, I currently cycle a Felt F85 to work in Dublin - twice a week...
    Terrain is Suburbs, Phoenix Park, and City Streets, default tyres have been fine until now.
    However the tyres are slick 700c 23c

Is it possible to put slightly bigger tyres which are suitable for wet roads?
    The 25c version of this tyre would be good, or alternatively this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gavinfitz

Thanks, will the 25c version fit this rim?
    MAVIC CXP-22N rims
    Based on the specs, not looking likely - 18c to 23c

Would the 23c in this variant work - offer better grip compared to default slick (little grip!)
    Continental Gatorskin Tyres (Rigid) from the same site

Newbie here

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Thanks, will the 25c version fit this rim?
    MAVIC CXP-22N rims
    Based on the specs, not looking likely - 18c to 23c

Would the 23c in this variant work - offer better grip compared to default slick (little grip!)
    Continental Gatorskin Tyres (Rigid) from the same site

Newbie here

25c will fit. And I'd be amazed if uour bike couldn't take 25. I'd recommend the conti 4000s for the comfort/grip/durability trade off.

Only get gators if a bone shaking and sometimes slippy ride is worth it in order to have a flat every 3 years or so. For me, it ultimately wasn't and grip is important on dirty wet busy winter roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Mavic say 19 to 28mm for their CXP-22 rim - http://www.mavic.com/rims-road-triathlon-cxp-22

18 to 23mm wouldn't make sense for any size rim - it's too narrow a band.

You'd want to make sure that you have room for a wider and taller tyre between your seat-stays and the below your fork crown - ie where both your brake calipers are. That'd be more the concern.

I'd get GP4 Seasons. They're very resilient and lovely and grippy. I've not used Gatorskins but lots of people say they're fine and lots of people say they're slippy as h3ll in the wet. I've never seen anybody say GP4 Seasons are slippy in the wet.

Actually yes, I meant 4 seasons. I run them at 28 on my iron horse around town. They are slightly better for durability they say although I've not noticed much difference bw them and 4000s ( other than attributable to 25vs28 sizing - ie the 28s seem slower)

23 to 25 never seemed slower just more comfort

• Advertisement

Thanks happy to go with 25c, The F85 has plenty of clearance with the current tyre 23c's...
    Any good sites to get the GP4 Seasons from?
    Yes Gatorskins... specs/description look like they are winter tyres but the pictures dont agree - v little threading!
    Regarding Tubes - I'm assuming I'll need to size up - any reccomendations here?

71.80e + 10e delivery for a pair from http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,4,22,35;product=428

Your tubes may be big enough for 25mm - you can get ones for 19 to 25mm. You can always try them and see as you've nothing else to be doing with them I assume ;)

Bike tyres don't use tread to get grip on roads - they're too narrow for the weight they carry to aquaplane. So don't look at tread patterns when evaluating a tyre. They're just for marketing.

I've 6,000 km and counting on a pair of GP4 Seasons without a single puncture. They're a great tyre, especially for miserable winter weather when you don't want to be standing around fixing punctures.

Excellent..
    Yes I looked up the tubes on Halfords... (I know i know) :)
    The tube sizes varies... 18-23c or 25c ro 28c...

I can try my existing 1's and replace if needed :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

quozl wrote: »
    Or here for cheaper price (for a pair of tyres), faster delivery and for supporting local business ;).

Yeah threads on tyres at 23, 25, and maybe even 28 aren't really a determinant of grip. Eg vittoria open pave which are pretty slick and widely regarded as very good grip.

In fact many theorize that slick tyres have improved grip due to deformation of tyre on the road surface

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Or here for cheaper price (for a pair of tyres), faster delivery and for supporting local business ;).

Oh yeah, very good point. I forgot them as they don't do 28mm 4-Seasons so I had to order a pair yesterday from bike24 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cool, it seems they come in 32mm in 2015 :) I will definitely get these when my Kojaks are worn out.

So regarding tyre size on a Road racer... example... F85...
    How high would you go - and maintain a good balance of speed/comfort/grip...

I'm currently on 23c, considering moving to 25c...
    Is 28c to high??

So regarding tyre size on a Road racer... example... F85...
    How high would you go - and maintain a good balance of speed/comfort/grip...

I'm currently on 23c, considering moving to 25c...
    Is 28c to high??

I doubt your bike will take 28. Mostly only cx/tourers or single speed frames have that kinda clearance.

25 will show esp moving from stock tyres to 4 season or gp4000s

thats fine.. I've been leaning towards 25c... again anyone with exp of mounting 25cs onto a road racer please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is there really that much of a difference in traction between 23 sized tyres and 25 sized tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've 28s on a giant tcr. Cheap Shimano wheel on the rear and original on the front. Plenty of clearance. They are more comfortable than 23s and the feel like they have a bit more grip - that could be psychological of course.

Advertisement