Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re quote and Eircom/GSM dilemma

Options
  • 09-10-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I had a quotation done recently for an upgrade of my existing alarm system. There is an alarm there since I moved in (recently bought) but it only had open/close alerts. Im getting shocks put in instead.

The quotation is €600 for everything including 20 new shocks, new panic buttons, bellbox, battery.

My main dilemma is as follows:

I would like to set up a text alert service for whenever the alarm activates. There is no phone there at the moment but I was advised that if Eircom landline was connected I'd only have to pay €150 (extra to €600) for the dialler and installation.

I was also told that to add on without a landline would need a movile sim requiring a GSM. Priced at €550 for the GSM and installation.

I see a fixed thread that this Eircom text service is likely to be finished in the next few months. In that case am I just better off with a GSM? Is that price of €550 reasonable?

I haven't yet set up broadband and to complicate matters more I'm not sure who to go with - UPC seem to have the best TV, Broadband and Phone bundle! My main reason for considering eircom was to save on difference with GSM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

€600 seems far too cheap for a full alarm with 20 shocks. €550 for the GSM seems too dear.

Yes, Eircom are getting rid of the text service so if you want your alarm to text you, a GSM is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

€600 seems far too cheap for a full alarm with 20 shocks. €550 for the GSM seems too dear.

Yes, Eircom are getting rid of the text service so if you want your alarm to text you, a GSM is the only way.

I might just go without the GSM for the
    moment. There would be 20 shocks, 2 panic buttons, 2 PIR, 1 bell box and 2 battery. I have key pads already. All products are HKC. Are they a decent brand.

What would be a reasonable price for a GSM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Any idea of date for removal of text service, I've a text system on my house might need to start saving for a GSM Dialer ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

moment. There would be 20 shocks, 2 panic buttons, 2 PIR, 1 bell box and 2 battery. I have key pads already. All products are HKC. Are they a decent brand.

Yes HKC is a good brand, strictly speaking us installers do not give out prices here. Have you committed to this upgrade with an installer yet?

Being honest i would encourage you to get a few quotes from PSA registered companies in your own area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

You would be wasting money having a text dialer installed as Eircom are turning off this service. A time has not being given but they have said they will be contacting house holders to inform them.

From the sounds of it you already have the bulk pg the alarm installed and these are just add ons. Do you know what type system you have installed now and what GSM they are planing to use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement