Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI CHARTS AUTUMN/WINTER 2014/15 **Mod Note Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

162-779UK.GIF?14-6
    162-101UK.GIF?14-6
    162-7UK.GIF?14-6
    Sensational progression of that low with the 850 hPa temps at -5 in the warm core!! I can't remember a synoptic like that actually being realised except I suppose around 4th January 2010. Even then it was touch and go and the LP was a more typical northerly that parked itself near Ireland and was highly occluded with showers in some areas falling as sleet while 30 minutes later a new shower on the same locations would fall as snow.

The point is I've seen such charts many times and not one has been as close to that for a non-marginal nearly-nationwide snow event. It's not easy to see such a perfect progression from Greenland like that becoming reality...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

this looks promising for a good shot of beast from the east.gfs-0-186.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Can't post link because I am a "new user" but

UKMO at Day 6

Drooling here

Awaiting tonight's ECM with real interest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Remember from the 12z GFS today the parallel run is now the operational run with the resolution increased to 240 hrs.

GEM also running out now with mouthwatering output for next week. Is a major cold snap imminent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

GEM also running out now with mouthwatering output for next week. Is a major cold snap imminent?

Id wait for the ECM 12Z before getting to excited:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hmmmm

ECM1-168_xtp3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

And

ECM1-144_trz2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Hmmmm

ECM1-168_xtp3.GIF

Holy mother of snow :eek:

Edit: the second one :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Gonzo step away from the controls :P

Recm1921.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Hmmmm

ECM1-168_xtp3.GIF

Bit of a trouser arouser that pic is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Unbelievable charts, why do I have to be in England for most of next week!! The one time the east is due to get a snow pounding this winter!!

Unbelievable charts, why do I have to be in England for most of next week!! The one time the east is due to get a snow pounding this winter!!

England should do well too from the modelled synoptics?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

I'm in the UK for the next week too, and I'm looking at the forecasts with solid interest. Might well be snowed in the Cotswolds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Even though those charts look good, they don't have any very cold air established before the low moves South of us. Upper air temps are relatively warm compared to what we'd need for snow in most places. Granted the cold air does eventually reach ireland by next Thursday (on this run) but that's quite a while away yet.

ECM0-144_rad7.GIF

ECM0-168_myc3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Exactly my thoughts Trogdor , nothing exciting yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

You have to look beyond the uppers being forecast. The slider lows originating in the Canadian arctic with a sub dam line of 528 over us. Plus after that you don't need -8 uppers with an easterly. Of course this all has to verify first and I'd imagine more changes closer to the the time as always is the way. Good potential and best we've seen for something lasting longer than a day or two for some time.

You have to look beyond the uppers being forecast. The slider lows originating in the Canadian arctic with a sub dam line of 528 over us. Plus after that you don't need -8 uppers with an easterly. Of course this all has to verify first and I'd imagine more changes closer to the the time as always is the way. Good potential and best we've seen for something lasting longer than a day or two for some time.

Just about sub 528 for most of the country at t+144 but not at t+168, personally i wouldn't be too hopeful for coastal areas with those charts yet anyway. Frontal systems will bring snow with lower upper air temps but i think its still marginal there. The easterly afterwards(if it gets established) i think would then need -8C uppers for snow showers on the coast (which does not happen until next friday on this run at t+216).

tBniedz.png

NheCSB7.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The -8 and colder uppers would be essential for Irish sea streamers to develop, that wouldn't be as relevant to 'another year' in Donegal
    Snow at sea level near coasts usually can happen with warmer uppers if there's a surface cold pool firmly established or if there's a sufficient lower layer of surface cold coming in on that easterly
    That usually happens when the UK already has good snow cover
    Lots to watch
    One theme that seems evident is an absorption of ever colder air in our neck of the woods so do ya know what if you ask me,that's going to inevitably bear lots of snowy fruit to most eventually again
    In the meantime, high ground will be plastered at the very least next week I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The -8 and colder uppers would be essential for Irish sea streamers to develop, that wouldn't be as relevant to 'another year' in Donegal
    Snow at sea level near coasts usually can happen with warmer uppers if there's a surface cold pool firmly established or if there's a sufficient lower layer of surface cold coming in on that easterly
    That usually happens when the UK already has good snow cover
    Lots to watch
    One theme that seems evident is an absorption of ever colder air in our neck of the woods so do ya know what if you ask me,that's going to inevitably bear lots of snowy fruit to most eventually again
    In the meantime, high ground will be plastered at the very least next week I think

Was wondering when we'd see you again!

Promising synoptics for anyone looking for cold weather though would agree nothing snowy for the time being. What we'd want to see is the Atlantic high becoming more amplified and the LP over the near continent intensifying and dragging in proper cold air. A long way off that but something to watch once the current excitement subsidies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Trogdor wrote: »
    Just about sub 528 for most of the country at t+144 but not at t+168, personally i wouldn't be too hopeful for coastal areas with those charts yet anyway. Frontal systems will bring snow with lower upper air temps but i think its still marginal there. The easterly afterwards(if it gets established) i think would then need -8C uppers for snow showers on the coast (which does not happen until next friday on this run at t+216).

tBniedz.png

NheCSB7.png

Hi. Sorry no access to pc so limited on phone. The dam line is favourable before then. I didnt check the charts just ss from charts posted earlier on netweather.

And in relation to the -8 uppers I wasn't aware you meant strictly coastal areas only.

And in relation to the -8 uppers I wasn't aware you meant strictly coastal areas only.

Sorry yeah was thinking moreso about Dublin (and myself) :P. Certainly some more snow to come in some places over the next week or so.

18z GFS looking much better than the 12z in the shorter term. T+96 has a north-easterly with cold air very near.
    gfs-0-96_bvk7.png

Progession allows the colder air to come down that bit further at T+120. This looks much better for good frontal snow imo.
    gfs-1-120_hrz3.png

gfs-2-126_ihl0.png

Very cold air starting to march across northern europe at T+186, think we'll get a snowy end to this run (however don't get too excited yet obviously it is just one run and FI territory)
    gfs-0-186_ino3.png

EDIT:
    Beautiful
    3ZUsAKB.gif

Rtavn2041.gif

acb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

classic chart.
    if that last chart verifies, you could be in line for an extended cold spell, which could well stave off a surge of cold air exiting the Canadian arctic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18Z is a classic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The White Gold Army is on the March From Siberia ,A belter of FI if I do say so myself

TNtEX5.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

-10's into the SE at 228 hrs!

gfs-1-228_kdk5.png
    giphy.gif

Advertisement