Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭cdoherty86

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I've heard there's a certain species of head lice that are unique to human hair, so it would be bad news for them if we all pop our clogs.

Planets that support life are light years away from us because of comments like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

cdoherty86 wrote: »
    Planets that support life are light years away from us because of comments like this.

Ooooohhhhhhhh kaaaaaaayyyyyy.......

*backs away slowly, avoiding eye contact*

Do you think any intelligent species would let humans off this planet?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Done here. Best o' luck to the more patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

paddy1990 wrote: »
    I've read the book and agree with this.

People who believe this stuff tend to delude themselves about the real implications though. They are just as deluded as the religious people they bang on about.

What are the real implications?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Done here. Best o' luck to the more patient.

Still waiting for a coherent explanation how humans are interdependent when it's obvious we aren't.

It doesn't matter if humans go extinct tomorrow yet you can't explain why an Earthworm composts.

Still waiting for a coherent explanation how humans are interdependent when it's obvious we aren't.

It doesn't matter if humans go extinct tomorrow yet you can't explain why an Earthworm composts.

I don't think anyone even knows what point you're trying to make tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Knasher wrote: »
    The purpose of humanity, like the purpose of all living things, is to survive. How we go about that is really up to us.

No purpose beyond survival. Though there are other species that are dependant on elephants. There are trees that depend on them for procreation for example.

Don't they also play a big role in shaping the Savannah landscape - less saplings survive due to elephants eating them or knocking them down or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

and by the way, someone mentioned music. Well if every emotion is basically physical material then yes music is also physical material. According to the darwinian materialist view, no exceptions can be made for music.

Even the so called proponents of evolution and Darwinism have a hard time understanding the points im making, such is their level of delusion.

I don't think anyone even knows what point you're trying to make tbh.

The point is, you don't know what the purpose of humanity is, just like you don't know why an earthworm composts.

So why don't you stop pretending you know or claiming "we don't have a purpose"

you just do not know, leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

A bit o' Bertrand Russell is always appropriate in threads like this,
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt

Calibos wrote: »
    A bit o' Bertrand Russell is always appropriate in threads like this,

Russell Brand endorses the Penus Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5zbZ8pSccLw#t=230

Just pay $300 for DVDs on some fantasy.

You have all made the argument we're interdependent.
    Yet, you know this is false.

It doesn't matter if humans go extinct tomorrow. Nothing on this planet depends upon humanity surviving.

Eventually, you will die.

But you won't accept this...you can't accept death and you can't accept you're inconsequential to survival of earth.

Cows would have a pretty tough time surviving. As would all manner of indoor dogs and other pets.

House mice, human head lice, bed bugs and various other human specific parasites would all likely either die off or gave to evolve to adapt to new situations (thus becoming new species ).

That doesn't mean our purpose is to feed head lice and bed bugs though. Just that they have evolved to take advantage of our presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I just don't see how humans or elephants are critical to survival of our planet.

Did anyone claim they were? I am not trying to be facetious here but your sentence here seems to be a complete non sequitur to just about everything on the thread. So it is not clear where you are going with this or how it relates to the topic?

Mick Flannery puts it well in one of his songs. We are just natures chesty cough, and when shes done shes gonna shake us off.
    At least the Earthworm has a purpose, humans don't.

I see where part of your error is stemming from. You are mistaking effect for purpose. They are not the same thing.
    endacl wrote: »
    I offer for your consideration, the humble banana. Made to fit in the human hand, and each comes individually wrapped for convenience and freshness.

That kinda thing?

LOL you will have to offer that one to the creationist not the Scientist :) See what they make of it and if they want to give it back. The banana man made this error and he has not lived it down since. Didnt someone throw a pineapple on stage in front of him once?
    Why have strong opinions about anything?

Simply because our well being and our survival depend on it. Which itself, you will notice, is subjective. As no one cares about our well being and survival EXCEPT us.

But so long as the subjective entities care about the well being OF those self same subjective entities then the question instantly morphs from "Why have strong opinions about anything" to "How can we NOT have strong opinions about anything?"
    why not strive to overcome them? Why does the Darwinist not strive to overcome their biasing influence

Many people do. Through introspection and meditation and much more there are many people striving to attain well being BEFORE satisfying whatever neurotic thought or desire happen to come careening into consciousness. There is a subset of people attempting to discover if well being and happiness is attainable BEFORE the inputs that we normally associate with generating them.

The delusion you appear to find here is opaque to me. We acknowledge the nature of consciousness and subjectivity as you describe them and simply reconcile it in the means I mentioned in my previous two posts on the matter.

You appear not to be responding to those posts so much as restating the same view in each of your posts in new words, without actually adding or removing anything from it.
    If we are truly interdependent, what's the purpose of humanity?

It is not clear what you are asking here. How does the content of your sentence before the comma flow into the question after it exactly? The full force of your question is going past me I have to admit openly.

There is an interdependence in much of the biosphere but not all of it. None of this implies "purpose" either so that aspect of your question is also a bit fuzzy.

Genes reproduce themselves and have found steadily more complex ways of doing it over time. That is what they do. WE and all the rest of the biosphere that we observe is just HOW they are doing it. If you want to construe that as "purpose" then so be it, but I do not, nor see any reason to.

You seem to want there to be a "purpose" and so are framing all your queries in the light of finding that purpose. Whereas the rest of us here appear to be suggesting you reframe your questions more sensibly by first divesting yourself of that notion, then framing the questions based on what remains.

Give it a try. It can not hurt.
    Good. You are striving for an illusion. I still don't think you quite understand the implications of the meaningless and arbitrary nature of how that illusion formed and became hard wired into you.

Either that or you are contriving to over state those implications for an effect / agenda that no one has thus far managed to find.
    I believe that Darwinists refuse or cannot live their lives according to pure Darwinism because life would simply be completely meaningless. So they have to buy into this delusion.

No one has ever suggested we might or should. Evolutionary science is just facts about the world. Nothing more. What we do with those facts is entirely different. Our knowledge of how to create the bomb does not tell us how or when or whether to use it.

All the science here tells us is how we came to be here. What we do FROM here has nothing whatsoever to do with the science.
    I'm really trying to articulate the absolute meaningless of life in Darwinian terms.

And there is no reason to because while life is objectively meaningless in and of itself, that does not reduce the importance of it to the subjective entity living it. And that realization is not the "delusion" you are trying to paint it to be for reasons as yet unknown.

You seem to want to tell us that us being ok with this fact, is somehow a delusion. I am not seeing how. Or why.
    What organisms depend on human existence apart from cats and dogs in the western world.

Actually if you look at what % of the biosphere is now made up of cultivated livestock and vegetable produce, none of which would continue to survive without us, you will find just how much of the biosphere now relies on us to survive. In fact cats and dogs, relative to much of our agriculture flora and fauna and life stock, would survive relatively brilliantly were humanity to magically POOF out of existence tomorrow.

I saw a graph once, which I hope to find for you but I hope someone else does it as I can not recall where to look, showing just how much of the biosphere is now human dependent and it was quite jaw dropping. Certainly MUCH more than you are painting for us here on this thread.

And that is before you even consider your OWN bio mass. Have you seen graphs on just how much of your own mass is actually human? I would love you to guess, without or at least before checking, what % of your mass sitting at the PC reading right this is actually YOU and is actually human.

How much of it is symbiotic life inside AND outside your body that wholly relies on you for survival.... and you in turn rely wholly on them? There is more interdependence again than you, sorry to keep using this phrase, keep painting for us in your posts.

Yet we have answered that question directly numerous times. Did you simply skip my first reply to you because it was longer than your attention span? Or for some other reason?
    The point is, you don't know what the purpose of humanity is

No the point is that "purpose" is a concept YOU have overlayed onto humans without establishing that we even _have_ one. There is no "purpose" to any life on this planet that I can discern. So what are YOU suggesting exactly?

There is currently no reason I know of to think we have a purpose. So I simply do not go around under the premise that we have a purpose.

What is wrong with that exactly?

and by the way, someone mentioned music. Well if every emotion is basically physical material then yes music is also physical material. According to the darwinian materialist view, no exceptions can be made for music.

Even the so called proponents of evolution and Darwinism have a hard time understanding the points im making, such is their level of delusion.

You keep ignoring requests to explain your alternative explanations, or even explain why exactly all of this is such a bad thing. Instead, you just keep making vague posts about 'implications' and 'delusions' and derogatory comments about 'Darwinists'. I've asked you plenty of times to clarify your points, but you just keep repeating the same thing.
    The point is, you don't know what the purpose of humanity is, just like you don't know why an earthworm composts.

So it's ok for you to claim life has some purpose, and be sure of the fact, based on no evidence, yet it isn't ok for others to use evidence to back up their assertations that life has no purpose? A tad arrogant don't you think?

floggg wrote: »
    Cows would have a pretty tough time surviving. As would all manner of indoor dogs and other pets.

Why is it "wrong" to eat cats and dogs like they do in various parts of the world, but not cows, pigs, chickens, fish..etc?

Why is it "wrong" to eat cats and dogs like they do in various parts of the world, but not cows, pigs, chickens, fish..etc?

What has this got to do with the thread, or even your previous points?

You keep ignoring requests to explain your alternative explanations, or even explain why exactly all of this is such a bad thing. Instead, you just keep making vague posts about 'implications' and 'delusions' and derogatory comments about 'Darwinists'. I've asked you plenty of times to clarify your points, but you just keep repeating the same thing.

Reread my posts

I have avoided engaging you because you haven't really understood what I've written.

I will reply to your post later. Everyone else, try to explain why the Earthworm continues to compost. Thanks.

Reread my posts

I have avoided engaging you because you haven't really understood what I've written.

No one understands what you've written. That, to me, suggests a problem with your explanations rather than those reading them.

Surely if your points are as groundbreaking as you imply, you'd want to make sure as many people as possible, even those such as me who are beneath your mighty intellect, understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I don't know if anyone understands what you are on about. Seriously is there *anyone* else in this thread who can translate for paddy?

nozzferrahhtoo covered your points in depth paddy. Are you going to ignore that too? If so, why?

That was explained to you pages ago. Because that's how they have evolved to derive sustenance from the soil. Otherwise they would die of hunger.

What exactly are you arguing for or trying to prove here?

If you're arguing that earthworms are evidence of some sort of intelligent design or something, then do you not think they are a really stupid example.

If you were an omnipotent creator, why in the world would you design the ecosystems so that they are so dependent on such tiny and inconsequential creatures?

If i had the power to design an ecosystem, I'd surely be able to create a self sustaining one.

Not one that could potentially be devastated by something seemingly insignificant like a disease spreading throughout the honey bee populations.

Generally speaking, if nobody in a given audience can understand the argument you're trying to make, the fault doesn't lie with the audience.

There is no reason whatsoever for believing that we have a purpose - other than the subjective desire/need of some to believe we have one.

So stop pretending you know or claiming "we do have a purpose."

Did anyone claim they were? I am not trying to be facetious here but your sentence here seems to be a complete non sequitur to just about everything on the thread. So it is not clear where you are going with this or how it relates to the topic?

Mick Flannery puts it well in one of his songs. We are just natures chesty cough, and when shes done shes gonna shake us off.

I see where part of your error is stemming from. You are mistaking effect for purpose. They are not the same thing.

LOL you will have to offer that one to the creationist not the Scientist :) See what they make of it and if they want to give it back. The banana man made this error and he has not lived it down since. Didnt someone throw a pineapple on stage in front of him once?

Simply because our well being and our survival depend on it. Which itself, you will notice, is subjective. As no one cares about our well being and survival EXCEPT us.

But so long as the subjective entities care about the well being OF those self same subjective entities then the question instantly morphs from "Why have strong opinions about anything" to "How can we NOT have strong opinions about anything?"

Many people do. Through introspection and meditation and much more there are many people striving to attain well being BEFORE satisfying whatever neurotic thought or desire happen to come careening into consciousness. There is a subset of people attempting to discover if well being and happiness is attainable BEFORE the inputs that we normally associate with generating them.

The delusion you appear to find here is opaque to me. We acknowledge the nature of consciousness and subjectivity as you describe them and simply reconcile it in the means I mentioned in my previous two posts on the matter.

You appear not to be responding to those posts so much as restating the same view in each of your posts in new words, without actually adding or removing anything from it.

It is not clear what you are asking here. How does the content of your sentence before the comma flow into the question after it exactly? The full force of your question is going past me I have to admit openly.

There is an interdependence in much of the biosphere but not all of it. None of this implies "purpose" either so that aspect of your question is also a bit fuzzy.

Genes reproduce themselves and have found steadily more complex ways of doing it over time. That is what they do. WE and all the rest of the biosphere that we observe is just HOW they are doing it. If you want to construe that as "purpose" then so be it, but I do not, nor see any reason to.

You seem to want there to be a "purpose" and so are framing all your queries in the light of finding that purpose. Whereas the rest of us here appear to be suggesting you reframe your questions more sensibly by first divesting yourself of that notion, then framing the questions based on what remains.

Give it a try. It can not hurt.

Either that or you are contriving to over state those implications for an effect / agenda that no one has thus far managed to find.

No one has ever suggested we might or should. Evolutionary science is just facts about the world. Nothing more. What we do with those facts is entirely different. Our knowledge of how to create the bomb does not tell us how or when or whether to use it.

All the science here tells us is how we came to be here. What we do FROM here has nothing whatsoever to do with the science.

And there is no reason to because while life is objectively meaningless in and of itself, that does not reduce the importance of it to the subjective entity living it. And that realization is not the "delusion" you are trying to paint it to be for reasons as yet unknown.

You seem to want to tell us that us being ok with this fact, is somehow a delusion. I am not seeing how. Or why.

Actually if you look at what % of the biosphere is now made up of cultivated livestock and vegetable produce, none of which would continue to survive without us, you will find just how much of the biosphere now relies on us to survive. In fact cats and dogs, relative to much of our agriculture flora and fauna and life stock, would survive relatively brilliantly were humanity to magically POOF out of existence tomorrow.

I saw a graph once, which I hope to find for you but I hope someone else does it as I can not recall where to look, showing just how much of the biosphere is now human dependent and it was quite jaw dropping. Certainly MUCH more than you are painting for us here on this thread.

And that is before you even consider your OWN bio mass. Have you seen graphs on just how much of your own mass is actually human? I would love you to guess, without or at least before checking, what % of your mass sitting at the PC reading right this is actually YOU and is actually human.

How much of it is symbiotic life inside AND outside your body that wholly relies on you for survival.... and you in turn rely wholly on them? There is more interdependence again than you, sorry to keep using this phrase, keep painting for us in your posts.

Yet we have answered that question directly numerous times. Did you simply skip my first reply to you because it was longer than your attention span? Or for some other reason?

No the point is that "purpose" is a concept YOU have overlayed onto humans without establishing that we even _have_ one. There is no "purpose" to any life on this planet that I can discern. So what are YOU suggesting exactly?

There is currently no reason I know of to think we have a purpose. So I simply do not go around under the premise that we have a purpose.

What is wrong with that exactly?

Good post.

Here is what it boils down to really. Darwinists seem to me, to have a "blind spot" to certain truths that arise from their theory.

If you take a purely objective view of things, and overcome your subjective views (which I have shown are just biochemical illusions in Darwinian terms), where does this leave you? Darwinists simply HAVE to accept that their subjective emotions/instincts etc are illusions and to live by them is simply to live in a delusion.

At this point I feel like I should go back and re-explain the futility and meaninglessness of how your emotions developed because this, I feel, is what is either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstood or ignored. (as an aside, the two posters whose names i cant recall but who know who they are, don't bother replying as i know you won't get this and will quickly scroll past any of your future posts without reading them).

I've said emotions are myths. Its lost when I explain that the biochemical pathways of happiness etc are what is just so happens to be.

My point is simply that Darwinist have to live in a subjective delusion in order to continue living (i think we agree here and if so, we can end it here). If you are not willing to buy into this subjective delusion, then taking the objective view of Darwinian physical materialism (at the expense of subjectivity) can only lead to "self" destruction.

So clearly, a subjective delusion is required for Darwinists to live their lives.

I'm interested in your response. I think you'll agree with what i've written and if so, we can leave it there.

floggg wrote: »
    There is no reason whatsoever for believing that we have a purpose - other than the subjective desire/need of some to believe we have one.

So stop pretending you know or claiming "we do have a purpose."

Really stupid answer.

Earthworms are not evolving. They do the same thing today they've done billions of years ago. The problem is you don't understand why they compost so you delude yourself about the origin of species and universe based on flimsy theories.

If humans were extinct tomorrow, earthworms will still survive.

That means humans are not interdependent no matter how much you delude yourself.

Humans are completely inconsequential to every other species/organism on earth but some still prefer to disagree.

If anything, the purpose of your existence is accepting you will eventually die.

Accepting death is the purpose of humanity.

Good post.

Here is what it boils down to really. Darwinists seem to me, to have a "blind spot" to certain truths that arise from their theory.

If you take a purely objective view of things, and overcome your subjective views (which I have shown are just biochemical illusions in Darwinian terms), where does this leave you? Darwinists simply HAVE to accept that their subjective emotions/instincts etc are illusions and to live by them is simply to live in a delusion.

I'm sure you're going to just ignore me, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread who might be taken in by this 'deepity' claptrap: No, I do not have to accept that emotions and instincts are illusions. The very fact that they occur as a result of biochemical processes, and by extension, our genetics, make them very real indeed. What else could we possibly live by? These processes are hardwired in our brain. You can't simply step out of the process and look at it objectively. If you want to see it as an illusion, fine, but I'd question the point in such a statement when it's an 'illusion' shared by all of humankind.
    At this point I feel like I should go back and re-explain the futility and meaninglessness of how your emotions developed because this, I feel, is what is either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstood or ignored. (as an aside, the two posters whose names i cant recall but who know who they are, don't bother replying as i know you won't get this and will quickly scroll past any of your future posts without reading them).
    You're criticising people for being ruled by their emotions when you're doing the very same thing yourself. You seem to think you've stumbled across some deep truth that us 'Darwinists' can't comprehend. You really haven't. You just view things in a different way.
    I've said emotions are myths. Its lost when I explain that the biochemical pathways of happiness etc are what is just so happens to be.
    You can say it as often as you like, it doesn't make it a meaningful statement.
    My point is simply that Darwinist have to live in a subjective delusion in order to continue living (i think we agree here and if so, we can end it here). If you are not willing to buy into this subjective delusion, then taking the objective view of Darwinian physical materialism (at the expense of subjectivity) can only lead to "self" destruction.
    I'm sure you won't respond to this but as (I assume) a non-Darwinist, how are your emotions and opinions any less of a delusion? What higher truth have you stumbled across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

What has this got to do with the thread, or even your previous points?

what does anything he post have to do with anything. His posts in CT are even worse.

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    what does anything he post have to do with anything. His posts in CT are even worse.

CT threads deal with the fact Saudi Arabia behead dozens of people every month unreported by the mainstream news, ignored by people like you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement