Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

cdoherty86 wrote: »
    Really stupid answer.

Earthworms are not evolving. They do the same thing today they've done billions of years ago. The problem is you don't understand why they compost so you delude yourself about the origin of species and universe based on flimsy theories.

If humans were extinct tomorrow, earthworms will still survive.

That means humans are not interdependent no matter how much you delude yourself.

Humans are completely inconsequential to every other species/organism on earth but some still prefer to disagree.

If anything, the purpose of your existence is accepting you will eventually die.

Accepting death is the purpose of humanity.

Lol. You're accusing my post of being stupid?

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

floggg wrote: »

Oh dear.

Yeah. Like you didn't even explain why earthworms have been composting for billions of years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭cdoherty86

Oh dear.

Answer me this:

1) Why do earthworms compost? Why exactly? Did someone tell them to start eating organic material? Why did they decide to eat organic material?

2) If the environment is interdependent, would earthworms die without humans? Are humans dependent on earthworms (yes)

Are earthworms dependent on humans (no)

Are we interdependent? No, we're not.

Answer me this:

1) Why do earthworms compost? Why exactly? Did someone tell them to start eating organic material? Why did they decide to eat organic material?

2) If the environment is interdependent, would earthworms die without humans? Are humans dependent on earthworms (yes)

Are earthworms dependent on humans (no)

Are we interdependent? No, we're not.

Here's an idea. Since my contributions have been. So stupid, why don't you educate me by telling me:

1 what an earthworms purpose is;

2. How and why they started being earthworms and eating organic material;

3. If applicable, who or what created them; and

4. Most importantly, how you know this and what evidence there is for your knowledge in that regard.

Look forward to being educated.

You still cannot explain why an Earthworm composts. You just cannot explain WHY.

But you continue to delude yourselves and it's merely a sign of arrogance and overbearing personalities.

I'm asking you WHY an earthworm composts and you're calling me an idiot.

Don't you see the irony in that?

• Advertisement

You still cannot explain why an Earthworm composts. You just cannot explain WHY.

But you continue to delude yourselves and it's merely a sign of arrogance and overbearing personalities.

I'm asking you WHY an earthworm composts and you're calling me an idiot.

Can you explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Can earthworms compost iron?

Here's an idea. Since my contributions have been. So stupid, why don't you educate me by telling me:

1 what an earthworms purpose is;

2. How and why they started being earthworms and eating organic material;

3. If applicable, who or what created them; and

4. Most importantly, how you know this and what evidence there is for your knowledge in that regard.

Look forward to being educated.

Still haven't answered why an Earthworm composts. Can't you just admit you don't know? How hard is it?

Can you explain why?

No, I don't know why. They have a purpose which I know of but can't explain why.

No, I don't know why. They have a purpose which I know of but can't explain why.

How do you know it's a purpose and not just something that occurred by chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

"Do not choose a cowards explanation
    That hides behind the cause and the effect."

What Leonard Cohen appears to be implying here,is that Science and the cognitive process will not explain,what probably is,the inexplicable.

Logically, there is little known,and clearly much unknown.

Darwin is fine within his context of Human
    explanations,but probably,that is all.

Still haven't answered why an Earthworm composts. Can't you just admit you don't know? How hard is it?

I did. On one if not more occasion.

But if will aide you in answering me questions, I'll do so again. Because it evolved to gain sustenance from composting, and for no other reason.

Now could you please answer my reasonable questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

There are two types of posters in this thread. Those who wear their ignorance on their sleeves and those who have the patience of saints.

Calibos wrote: »
    There are two types of posters in this thread. Those who wear their ignorance on their sleeves and those who have the patience of saints.

Three types, I'm procrastinating :pac:

How do you know it's a purpose and not just something that occurred by chance?

The actions of earthworms enable creation of nutrients in the soil which enable plants to grow and thus enable other organisms to grow and survive like humans.

There's an argument on whether humans are carnivores or herbivores. B12 is absorbed through red meat but animals consume B12 through plants.

B12 comes from the soil so humans don't necessarily have to eat meat all the time. Vegans will obviously say humans are herbivores but I think that's circumstantial. Some can be vegans but others not. Humans can probably survive on vegetables and fruit alone. Our digestive system would suggest it's not suitable for breaking down meat.

The actions of earthworms enable creation of nutrients in the soil which enable plants to grow and thus enable other organisms to grow and survive like humans.

There's an argument on whether humans are carnivores or herbivores. B12 is absorbed through red meat but animals consume B12 through plants.

B12 comes from the soil so humans don't necessarily have to eat meat all the time. Vegans will obviously say humans are herbivores but I thin that's circumstantial. Some can be vegans but others not.

That's just an expansion of what you said previously. It doesn't explain whether or not it's a purpose or a random event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Jesus, are people still debating this?

Saipanne wrote: »

People were burned at the stake for debating Adam and Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

People were burned at the stake for debating Adam and Eve.

:confused: Eh?

catallus wrote: »

Are we allowed to challenge dogma in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

catallus wrote: »

And in a single post, catallus has summed up the last 10 pages of this thread.

Knasher wrote: »
    And in a single post, catallus has summed up the last 10 pages of this thread.

I'm curious though. Are people allowed in your reality to challenge dogmatic beliefs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Knasher wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone understands what you are on about. Seriously is there *anyone* else in this thread who can translate for paddy?

Ok. I'm bored. I'm back in.

Translation: dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble ...

... dribble.

endacl wrote: »
    Ok. I'm bored. I'm back in.

Translation: dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble ...

... dribble.

When someone asked why an earthworm composts, this was the ignorant answer.
    Excellent work.

I'm curious though. Are people allowed in your reality to challenge dogmatic beliefs?

I'll answer. Yes. Science thrives under such conditions. Not so with religion.

Calibos wrote: »

Yeah? Answer me this. What's the purpose of a sleeve, then? Go on. Bet you can't.

A better question would be what's the purpose of this thread?

When someone asked why an earthworm composts, this was the answer.
    Excellent work.

Do you mean why, as in " why are we here?"
    Or why, as in, what is the process.

One is obvious, the other, pointless.

I'll answer. Yes. Science thrives under such conditions. Not so with religion.

Excellent. Can you tell me why an Earthworm composts? It's a very simple question and I know you will have an answer.....not.

• Advertisement

Well, not really 'debating', as such.

Has the op's question been answered yet, by the way? Why are there still monkeys and stuff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement