Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Quite the opposite. All men are born with a sense and belief in God. All societies, throughout history, have without exception believed in a higher power. Though expressing it in different ways. Some construct sophisticated arguments trying to rationalize a lack of belief in God. But only do so later in life - not from birth.
    This is the nature of man. Apes do not have this gift, were not created equal, and thus the contention that men are apes is nonsense.

I guess you've never heard of the Piraha. I guess that would require too much buk-lernin' for you creationists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Gintonious wrote: »
    Trying to conjure up some sort of pity here. Faith does not deserve any respect, and must expect it's claims to be ridiculed. Simple as that.
    Certain aspects of faith can indeed be lampooned ... like the belief that 'goo evolved into you via the zoo' !!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

J C wrote: »
    Certain aspects of faith can indeed be lampooned ... like the belief that 'goo evolved into you via the zoo' !!:)

Don't forget about the flood .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok I'll bite once more, why did God kill all the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals that we have fossils for but no longer exist?
    If he made them all, why did he kill them all off?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite once more, why did God kill all the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals that we have fossils for but no longer exist?

"Gods plan " obviously .
    Ten thousand years ago he made the earth to look old .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You mean the evidence that supports evolution on earth is all wrong? Because the bible says so? Oh my!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Theophobes? Goddammit, stop playing the victim here. You're not being hunted down by gangs of neo-Nazis, you're not being called "deviants" in front of packed megachurches and I can assure you that none of us proponents of evolution on this thread want to emulate North Korea, regardless of however fun it might be to watch some guards forcing you to confess to your trolling.

Will you please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, stop accusing anyone who disagrees with you of being a troll.

We are all "proponents of evolution on this thread" I'm sure you'll be sorry to hear.

What is strange is calling anyone who says that evolutionary science doesn't explain absolutely everything either a creationist or a troll. It is demeaning to any argument to resort to this name-calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

You need to be a believer in science to believe that there is any solid ground for making claims about animals living millions of years ago. That a long, looooong time ago. If that isn't blind faith, then I don't know what is.

Ok, lets get back to it then.

Shows us proof that Evolution is not true. You made the claim, now back it up.
    There is no issue with the validity of Natural Selection of pre-existing genetic information ... just like Darwin postulated.
    The big issue is where the genetic diversity came from.
    ... and destructive mutagenesis and 'circlular' recombination aren't plausible mechanisms for it's creation.

catallus wrote: »
    Will you please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, stop accusing anyone who disagrees with you of being a troll.

We are all "proponents of evolution on this thread" I'm sure you'll be sorry to hear.

What is strange is calling anyone who says that evolutionary science doesn't explain absolutely everything either a creationist or a troll. It is demeaning to any argument to resort to this name-calling.

Where was it claimed that it did?

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Don't forget about the flood .
    Good point.
    ... a good slogan for your next tee-shirt!!!:)

You mean the evidence that supports evolution on earth is all wrong? Because the bible says so? Oh my!
    ... no I mean that the idea that 'goo evolved into you via the zoo' sounds like a joke.:)

... no I mean that the idea that 'goo evolved into you via the zoo' sounds like a joke.:)

So if that sounds like a joke, would you care to explain your hypothesis on how all life on earth came to be? I am very interested to hear.

There is no issue with the validity of Natural Selection of pre-existing genetic information ... just like Darwin postulated.
    The big issue is where the genetic diversity came from.
    ... and destructive mutagenesis and 'circlular' recombination aren't plausible mechanisms for it's creation.

If there is no issue with natural selection then the logical extension is that God put all these creatures on the earth at the same time (must have been very tight fit) with the full and certain (omnicognisant dont forget) that due to natural selection the majority of them would die out.
    For a deity he is either pretty damn stupid or likes tearing the wings off flies, on a global scale.

"Gods plan " obviously .
    Ten thousand years ago he made the earth to look old .
    Michael Bay should get him for his next movie.
    You need to be a believer in science to believe that there is any solid ground for making claims about animals living millions of years ago. That a long, looooong time ago. If that isn't blind faith, then I don't know what is.

so like the big feck off fossils we have...did god make them so that the paleontologists would have something to do once he invented them?

catallus wrote: »

If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, in all likelihood it's a duck. The only time you turn into a rabid fundamentalist on Boards is when either evolution, secularism or religion is mentioned. And you know what? If I decided to set up a troll account as a nutty fundamentalist, I'd probably post in the same way as you! I'd keep a tab on a thesaurus site open, looking for the most obscure and verbose synonyms for the words I'm looking for. "Ignorant" would become "benighted" or "nescient" (a word that my spellchecker is convinced is made-up!), for starters.

It is thought that representatives of the Dinosaur Kind survived the Flood on Noah's Ark ... they subsequently became extinct ... like many other animals unfortunately, today.

It is thought that representatives of the Dinosaur Kind survived the Flood on Noah's Ark ... they subsequently became extinct ... like many other animals unfortunately, today.

So that's why dinosaur fossils are less than ten thousands years old.

You've never heard of radiometric dating?

Just so you actually read some of the page and not just skip the link because Ray Comfort is watching:
    The uranium-lead radiometric dating scheme has been refined to the point that the error margin in dates of rocks can be as low as less than two million years in two-and-a-half billion years.[13][18] An error margin of 2–5% has been achieved on younger Mesozoic rocks.[19]

Uranium-lead dating is often performed on the mineral zircon (ZrSiO4), though it can be used on other materials, such as baddeleyite.[20] Zircon and baddeleyite incorporate uranium atoms into their crystalline structure as substitutes for zirconium, but strongly reject lead. Zircon has a very high closure temperature, is resistant to mechanical weathering and is very chemically inert. Zircon also forms multiple crystal layers during metamorphic events, which each may record an isotopic age of the event. In situ micro-beam analysis can be achieved via laser ICP-MS or SIMS techniques.[21]

One of its great advantages is that any sample provides two clocks, one based on uranium-235's decay to lead-207 with a half-life of about 700 million years, and one based on uranium-238's decay to lead-206 with a half-life of about 4.5 billion years, providing a built-in crosscheck that allows accurate determination of the age of the sample even if some of the lead has been lost. This can be seen in the concordia diagram, where the samples plot along an errorchron (straight line) which intersects the concordia curve at the age of the sample.

I'm certain that in the shithole where you studied creationism, they never shown you this equation:

D = D0 + N(t)*(e^(λt) − 1)
    where

t is age of the sample,
    D is number of atoms of the daughter isotope in the sample,
    D0 is number of atoms of the daughter isotope in the original composition,
    N is number of atoms of the parent isotope in the sample at time t (the present), given by N(t) = Noe^(-λt), and
    λ is the decay constant of the parent isotope, equal to the inverse of the radioactive half-life of the parent isotope[15] times the natural logarithm of 2.
    The equation is most conveniently expressed in terms of the measured quantity N(t) rather than the constant initial value No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

So that's why dinosaur fossils are less than ten thousands years old.

Yes.

Now, can everybody see that part there?

• Advertisement

I wonder, why did they become extinct in this creationist fantasy? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thought?
    As in...'don't know for sure'?
    As in...'guesswork'?
    As in....totally made up?

If there is no issue with natural selection then the logical extension is that God put all these creatures on the earth at the same time (must have been very tight fit) with the full and certain (omnicognisant dont forget) that due to natural selection the majority of them would die out.
    For a deity he is either pretty damn stupid or likes tearing the wings off flies, on a global scale.
    NS entered the world with death and disease after the Fall. It wasn't what God wanted ... but Adam and Eve had free will and had other ideas.

so like the big feck off fossils we have...did god make them so that the paleontologists would have something to do once he invented them?
    Products of the Flood ... billions of dead things in rock layers laid down under water all over the Earth.

Extinct how?
    Why didnt Noah stick Mr & Mrs T-Rex on his Ark?
    What about the mastodons and Sabre tooth tigers too?

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Thought?
    As in...'don't know for sure'?
    As in...'guesswork'?
    As in....totally made up?
    Considered opinion based on repeatably observable evidence.

NS entered the world with death and disease after the Fall. It wasn't what God wanted ... but Adam and Eve had free will and had other ideas.

Products of the Flood ... billions of dead things in rock layers laid down under water all over the Earth.

The flood you speak of, there is no evidence for it my friend. None at all.

Laid down in layers of sedimentary rock thats...oops older than 10,000 years.

Did God break out the shovels to get them in?

how does Natural Selection "enter" the world?
    Are you now saying that its evil?

I'm still wondering how these hypothetical descendants of Noah forgot their god by the time they left the Middle East in their (mythical) journey to the rest of the world.

Extinct how?
    Why didnt Noah stick Mr & Mrs T-Rex on his Ark?
    What about the mastodons and Sabre tooth tigers too?
    Juvenile representatives of all Kinds were present.
    For example, there was probably only one pair of the Big Cat Kind ... and all big cat species are though to be descendants of these big cats.

• Advertisement

Juvenile representatives of all Kinds were present.
    For example, there was probably only one pair of the Big Cat Kind ... and all big cat species are though to be descendants of these big cats.

You mean its not fact?????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement