Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

obplayer wrote: »
    And yes I can give evidence of my membership if that is required.
    I also can.

Can I quote from the letter confirming that I passed the Mensa Test ... this cannot be faked or looked up on line:-

"British Mensa Ltd., Mensa House, St John's Square, Wolverhampton, WV2 4AH
    Reg No 971663 England

Dear .....
    We have marked your supervised test paper and find that your IQ on the Cattell scale appears to be 154 which is higher than would be achieved on this test by 98 per cent of the population.

A score at this level qualifies you for membership of Mensa and you are cordially invited to join us. All you need to do is to complete the enclosed form and post it back to us, together with either a completed Direct Debit form, or equivalent payment by cheque or postal order. All subscription rates are inclusive of Value Added Tax at the standard rate.

There are reduced subscription rates available for retirement pensioners and for second and subsequent members in the same family living at the same address. Our Treasurer will also consider ... "
    ... and it goes on.

... so can you prove that you are a member of Mensa?

Can you provide the remaining paragraphs of the Mensa acceptance letter?

... and please retract your comments about me lying ... when you haven't even given me time to get the documentation to answer your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

J C wrote: »
    I also can.

Can I quote from the letter confirming that I passed the Mensa Test ... this cannot be faked or looked up on line:-

Reg No 971663 England

Dear .....
    We have marked your supervised test paper and find that your IQ on the Cattell scale appears to be 154 which is higher than would be achieved on this test by 98 per cent of the population.

A score at this level qualifies you for membership of Mensa and you are cordially invited to join us. All you need to do is to complete the enclosed form and post it back to us, together with either a completed Direct Debit form, or equivalent payment by cheque or postal order. All subscription rates are inclusive of Value Added Tax at the standard rate.

There are reduced subscription rates available for retirement pensioners and for second and subsequent members in the same family living at the same address. Our Treasurer will also consider ... "
    ... and it goes on.

... and please retract your comments about me lying ... when you haven't even given me time to get the documentation to answer your question.

It took me a 2 second Google to find a Mensa acceptance letter. link

He also asked you how many news letters Mensa members get each year, not an acceptance letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Delusion is a powerful thing. Fear of death is a strong motivator for deluding yourself into believing in an afterlife. I assure you, if the bible made no claims of an eternal heaven, J C wouldn't be on here rehashing the same old creationist nonsense. Besides, IQ is not an indicator of who has a grasp of reality. It's all one big red herring.

It's completely futile trying to debate with creationists. They have demonstrated time and time again that they do not have a grasp on even the most basic aspects of science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

I also can.

Reg No 971663 England

Dear .....

... and it goes on.

I joined Mensa so many years ago that I cannot remember the acceptance letter but my test was taken in Edinburgh in the Donaldson's School For The Deaf. My membership number was <snip>. In Ireland I edited the local newsletter (any idea what it is called?) for a year and helped arrange an Irish Mensa Annual Gathering in Kilkenny. My name is <snip> and if you wish I will I will post images to back up these claims. Your post of a letter from Mensa gives no names and could be taken from a copy from anyone.
    Prove your claims please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Absolutely, I did the IQ test and passed with flying colours.:)

Mensa doesn't hand out coloured stickers. Are you sure you're not confusing Mensa with pre-school?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

I know ... I once was an Evolutionist (with a big 'E') and it was very scary when I began to realize that Evolution from goo to you via the zoo had serious evidential and logical problems.
    I have good news for you though ... I quickly recovered from the scare ... when I became a Creation Scientist.:)

If you had been born on the other side of the world you would be the type who would willing strap a load of TNT to your body to take out the unbelivers
    Holy Joe nut jobs are what is holding back the human race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I know ... I once was an Evolutionist (with a big 'E') and it was very scary.

I know logic and using your brain can be difficult. I suppose it is easier to read one book about fairy stories and take it on "faith".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So JC is bearing false witness?

Dear, oh dear...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I know logic and using your brain can be difficult. I suppose it is easier to read one book about fairy stories and take it on "faith".

hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If you had been born on the other side of the world you would be the type who would willing strap a load of TNT to your body to take out the unbelivers

We already know he is an extremist .

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Dangerous individuals when they get any sort of power.

I am not that kind of person ... I love my fellow man ... and I respect everybodies right to be different ... and unlike you, I don't engage in unfounded prejudicial and sectarian comments or verbal abuse ... which is only one step away from physical abuse and other forms of violence.:(

I am not that kind of person ... I love my fellow man ... and I respect everybodies right to be different ... and unlike you, I don't engage in unfounded prejudicial and sectarian comments or verbal abuse ... which is only one step away from physical abuse and other forms of violence.:(

How often are the mensa newsletters? You are dodging the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think what he means is you are a Christian extremist .
    So by the" power of god " if you happened to be born into the Muslim faith you would be an extremist too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I think the more appropriate word is fundamentalist. And I agree with the poster above, high intelligence only predicts the ability to produce ever more sophisticated reasons for defending a belief you are emotionally attached to, it doesn't at all mean you will have any more commitment to reality than anyone else.

More unfounded name-calling and verbal abuse. There is a pattern here of 'kick the Creationist'... and its not a pretty sight ... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves ... and you do the image of Atheism no favours.

Ye talk about religious extremists ... and ye behave just like them with unfounded prejudicial personal comments directed at people with whom ye have a difference of opinon.:(

More unfounded name-calling and verbal abuse. There is a pattern here of 'kick the Creationist'... and its not a pretty sight ... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves ... and you do the image of Atheism no favours.

Ye talk about religious extremists ... and ye behave just like them with unfounded prejudicial personal comments directed at people with whom ye have a difference of opinon.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Isn't being a Creation Scientist pretty much the same thing as being a Unicorn Veterinarian?

I do not support a faith where they bugger children for their jollies.

I do not support a faith where a woman has to hide her face.

I do not support a faith where it is wrong for a man to love a man and a woman to love a woman.

I do not support a faith where the unbelivers are killed.

I think what he means is you are a Christian extremist .
    So by the" power of god " if you happened to be born into the Muslim faith you would be an extremist too .
    I am not an extremist 'anything' ... I love my fellow man and I wish nothing but the best for everybody.

Ye guys are the 'extremists' bad-mouthing all persons of faith and making the most outrageous unfounded accusations against anybody who even questions the long-defunct idea that we are all descended from a 'slimeball' via selected mistakes and damaging mutations.:(

• Advertisement

I do not support a faith where it is wrong for a man to love a man and a woman to love a woman.

I don't support a faith that is literally based on nothing.

Doing so seems like something a mentally ill person would do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and you do the image of Atheism no favours.
    You do realise that plenty of religious people of different faiths have no problem with evolution including Christians? Creationism tends to be the preserve of fundamentalist Protestant Christian sects/offshoots. Since the US of A has historically* had more of them that's why it's ground zero for creationism and its bedfellows. Creationism is by definition a fundamentalist belief.

*During and after the Reformation Europe and Britain had a load of different sects popping up. Often on a weekly basis and a load of those that didn't just peter out hightailed it to the new colonies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

... and I also don't support such a faith.
    Neither do I support the Atheistic Communists who murdered untold millions throughout the 20th century in slave labour camps, by summary execution and in terrorist atrocities across the Earth.

Wibbs wrote: »
    You do realise that plenty of religious people of different faiths have no problem with evolution including Christians? Creationism tends to be the preserve of fundamentalist Protestant Christian sects/offshoots. Since the US of A has historically* had more of them that's why it's ground zero for creationism and its bedfellows. Creationism is by definition a fundamentalist belief.
    ... and I also have no 'problem' with the idea that that frogs turned into princes over millions of years with nothing added but selected mistakes ... apart from the fact that it is obviously completely invalid and only has any merit as a fairy story ... and even then, a five year old could 'see through it'.:)

I don't support a faith that is literally based on nothing.

Doing so seems like something a mentally ill person would do.

I put my faith in science.

You mean the thing with solid, quantifiable proof and and openness to change if new evidence comes along?

But fairy tales about an angry space ghost and his undead son are much more comforting.

Saipanne wrote: »
    ... I'm not dodging anything ... I was asleep until a few minutes ago ... and I woke up to wild accusations against me from Atheists behaving like some kind of Secular Inquisition and Taliban all wrapped up in one ... culminating in the following totally outrageous exchange of emails

Quote:-
    Originally Posted by EoghanIRL
    We already know he (J C) is an extremist .

Grand Moff Tarkin
    Dangerous individuals when they get any sort of power.

So I'm sorry, but my membership of Mensa is 'small beer' in comparison with the priority to defend my good name against such outrageous trolling, name calling and personal abuse.

... and to answer your question ... as I haven't paid my annual Mensa subscription, I don't get these newsletters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

... and I also don't support such a faith.
    Neither do I support the Atheistic Communists who murdered untold millions throughout the 20th century in slave labour camps, by summary execution and in terrorist atrocities across the Earth.

Dogmatic belief in Marxism, not because they were atheists.

Hitler was a Christian.

That is Scientism ... and you are correct, is it also a Faith ... and it can lead to the serious philosophical error of reductionism ... to name but one possible error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

The arrogance here from some of the 'scientific' community is breathtaking. Science has explained some interesting elements of life and the universe, but it has never got to the root of the questions it set out to answer using its 'scientific method': what is the universe, why are we here, is there a god. Quite a failure. Yet the faith put in such science is not dented by its abject failure ( the faith put in the peer review system is equally bizarre - of course those who agree with you will endorse your work, but excluding creation scientists who don't, because they dont, is rigging the endorsement). So who are those who really have the blind faith ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement