Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

smcgiff wrote: »
    Extrapolation from the lifespans in the bible, starting with Adam born on the seventh day of creation.

Ah ok, back in the days when living to 900 years old was easy and being eaten by a big fish wasn't an inconvenience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Extrapolation from the lifespans in the bible, starting with Adam born on the seventh day of creation.

Frist carried out by an Anglican Bishop in the 1800's who didn't do his sums very well, and didn't study the rest of the bible very well either.

Depends on what you think is true Christian faith.

JC believes the earth is less than 10,000 years old and the Flood and Genesis are not allegorical, but actual events.

It's hard to square that with a lot of science.

It's even harder to sqaure it with the Bible. But creation happened and floods happen all the time, just not the way JC claims. No where does the bible date creation, in fact it states to God a year is like a thousand days and a day is like a thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Vinnie L wrote: »
    Frist carried out by an Anglican Bishop in the 1800's who didn't do his sums very well, and didn't study the rest of the bible very well either.

I added in a few thousand years onto that calculation to give some leeway

I added in a few thousand years onto that calculation to give some leeway

The bible doesn't date creation, it's not a science text book and was never meant to be so. So I wonder where you got them ?

• Advertisement

The bible doesn't date creation, it's not a science text book and was never meant to be so. So I wonder where you got them ?

You're preaching to the converted. However, not all agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

J C wrote: »
    Some individuals have wide diversity in their genes ... and others, like pedigree animals, have very narrow diversity.

For example, two genetically diverse creatures of the Dog Kind gave rise to all Dog breeds and species today.
    ... whereas pedigree poodles can only produce more pedigree poodles.:)

Sorry, but you just don't understand biology.

An individual does not have diversity in their genes. Diversity comes from within collection of individuals.

Dogs are visually diverse, not because of two "genetically diverse creatures". But rather, due to artificial selection. It was dog breeders who deliberately selected dogs with specific physical traits, that give rise to the vast array of breeds we see today.

Every single dog alive today is a descendant of the wolf. It was through a culmination of natural and artificial selection that saw some become more tame around humans than others. It was that lineage of wolves who would go on to become today's domestic dogs.

You're preaching to the converted. However, not all agree.

The majority of european Christians know this and agree with evolution, it doesn't conflict with the bible, there is little point talking to the ones that insist otherwise.

I'm not preaching to anyone, I'm just stating the facts

It's After Hours not a debate at Trinity.

However, what do you believe, that the Earth was created 4.5 Billion years ago, and man has slowly evolved over billions of years and came about a trifling 200,000 years ago?

That god created millions of species that died out before man came along, but ultimately the earth was created for man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Poster JC, why do you not believe in theistic evolution ?
    There is no conflict between true Christian faith and true science.
    One does not contradict the other.
    The truth is just the truth.

J C follows a fundamentalist church. Never been able to pinpoint which one though. Could be old fashioned northern Irish presbyterianism.

Anyway, not Catholicism, which is why theistic evolution of the Old Earth variety is off the table for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

J C wrote: »
    As I'm a member of Mensa, that would be as impossible ... as spontaneous evolution.:cool:
    My feelings on Mensa,
    ...CJ from Eggheads is a member of Mensa, Kevin from Eggheads is not

It's After Hours not a debate at Trinity.

So why are you bothering so hard, do you practice what you preach ?
    However, what do you believe, that the Earth was created 4.5 Billion years ago, and man has slowly evolved over billions of years and came about a trifling 200,000 years ago?

Other than JC, can you find anyone on boards that believes otherwise ?

You're not so different from JC after all.

Edit. You're also pretty good at the ninja edits.

J C follows a fundamentalist church. Never been able to pinpoint which one though. Could be old fashioned northern Irish presbyterianism.

Anyway, not Catholicism, which is why theistic evolution of the Old Earth variety is off the table for him.

doubtful he belongs to any, as it's much easier to make up whatever you want then

You mean, apart from the hundreds in the Atheists forum?

There are a few on this thread, and plenty on the Christianity forum. It's a filter for that, somewhat. A user called wolfsbane was long a supporter of him and very much on the same page. Haven't seen him post in a couple of years though...

doubtful he belongs to any, as it's much easier to make up whatever you want then

Perhaps, I doubt he'd be drawn on the question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rums

You just don't understand biology, do you? Diversity isn't something that a single individual possesses. It is the scale of difference between an entire population of people.

Evidently he also does not understand the word perfect, for something to be perfect it has to be perfect at the begining of time, the present and the end of time, unchanging, perfect can not get better nor can it get worse.. this is why the concept of seeking perfection is facile as you are either perfect or you are not.
    So his little hocus pocus theory about people and creatures being created perfect but then declining contradicts itself as something perfect is incapable of decline.

You mean, apart from the hundreds in the Atheists forum?

Athiests don't believe in evolution ? News to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Athiests don't believe in evolution ? News to me.

OK lads. I think its time for everybody to calm down and have a little pray.

:pac:

• Advertisement

There are a few on this thread, and plenty on the Christianity forum. It's a filter for that, somewhat. A user called wolfsbane was long a supporter of him and very much on the same page. Haven't seen him post in a couple of years though...

I've been to that forum, other than JC I don't see anyone supporting creationism or JC there.
    They don't seem to support the westboro baptists there either, but that tiny church gets worldwide coverage. Bizarre really.

endacl wrote: »
    OK lads. I think its time for everybody to calm down and have a little pray.

:pac:

To me it seems everyone is calm except yourself, you might want to chill out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

To me it seems everyone is calm except yourself, you might want to chill out there.

Just calm down man :pac:

Just calm down man :pac:

Bizarre, have I entered a scene from Liverpool ?
    Are you all scousers or something ?

Bizarre, have I entered a scene from Liverpool ?
    Are you all scousers or something ?

Such pain. I feel for you. Let it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Atheists don't believe in evolution, rather they accept it.

Atheists don't believe in evolution, rather they accept it.

And they certainly don't entertain the notion of it being a device of a super natural being.

Such pain. I feel for you. Let it all out.

On the contrary, rather like this thread, I always found Harry Enfield sketches about scouser behavior very amusing.

I've been to that forum, other than JC I don't see anyone supporting creationism or JC there.

You've read all 30,000 posts in the BC&P threads? There are plenty of supporters of J C, though they come and go. Only J C is constant.
    They don't seem to support the westboro baptists there either, but that tiny church gets worldwide coverage. Bizarre really.

Creationists are a lot more common than that, and not so remote from us. There's at least one creationist MLA in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There have been several posters of a Creationist persuasion popping up in those forums and the BC&P threads over the years, not to mention the many many Christians hostile to evolution with utter ignorance of science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement