Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

smcgiff wrote: »
    Sorry, I couldn't possibly make contact. Considering your family were involved in THAT scandal. Terrible business.

Indeed. I could lose my job if I was ever identified on here. I'd totally have to fire myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by kingchess
    I wonder how many scientists who are not followers of the bible/koran believe in Creation theory??are there any experts who believe that theory who are members of ,for example, the hindu faith,or of any other faith??

kingchess
    Sorry to butt in but does anyone know ???-maybe J C???
    Don't know about other religions ... but Prof Sir Fred Hoyle and Prof Sir Francis Crick were two Atheists who recognized that Materialistic Evolution was mathematically impossible and they provided the basic maths and logical basis for the Intelligent Design movement within Biology:-

Francis Crick (1916–2004) Co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, Nobel laureate 1962, Professor at the Salk Institute

"To produce this miracle of molecular construction all the cell need do is to string together the amino acids (which make up the polypeptide chain) in the correct order. This is a complicated biochemical process, a molecular assembly line, using instructions in the form of a nucleic acid tape (the so-called messenger RNA) which will be described in outline in Chapter 5. Here we need only ask, how many possible proteins are there? If a particular amino acid sequence was selected by chance, how rare of an event would that be?

This is an easy exercise in combinatorials. Suppose the chain is about two hundred amino acids long; this is, if anything, rather less than the average length of proteins of all types. Since we have just twenty possibilities at each place, the number of possibilities is twenty multiplied by itself some two hundred times. This is conveniently written 20^200 and is approximately equal to 10^260, that is a one followed by 260 zeros!

This number is quite beyond our everyday comprehension. For comparison, consider the number of fundamental particles (atoms, speaking loosely) in the entire visible universe, not just in our own galaxy with its 10^11 stars, but in all the billions of galaxies, out to the limits of observable space. This number, which is estimated to be 10^80, is quite paltry by comparison to 10^260. Moreover, we have only considered a polypeptide chain of a rather modest length. Had we considered longer ones as well, the figure would have been even more immense. "
    Life Itself (1981) p. 51-52.

"An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going." Life Itself (1981) p.88

Fred Hoyle (1915 – 2001) Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge University

"The chance that higher life forms might have emerged in this way is comparable with the chance that 'a tornado sweeping through a junk yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein'. "Hoyle on Evolution" Nature November 12, 1981 p.105

"At all events, anyone with even a nodding acquaintance with the Rubik cube will concede the near-impossibility of a solution being obtained by a blind person moving the cube faces at random. Now imagine 10^50 blind persons each with a scrambled Rubik cube, and try to conceive of the chance of them all simultaneously arriving at the solved form. You then have the chance of arriving by random shuffling of just one of the many biopolymers on which life depends. The notion that not only the biopolymers but the operating programme of a living cell could be arrived at by chance in a primordial organic soup here on the Earth is evidently nonsense of a high order. "The Big Bang in Astronomy" New Scientist November 19, 1981 pp.521-527

"Consider now the chance that in a random ordering of the twenty different amino acids which make up the polypeptides it just happens that the different kinds fall into the order appropriate to a particular enzyme. The chance of obtaining a suitable backbone can hardly be greater than one part in 10^15, and the chance of obtaining the appropriate active site can hardly be greater than on a par in 10^5. Because the fine details of the surface shape can be varied we shall take the conservative line of not 'piling on the agony' by including any further small probability for the rest of the enzyme. The two small probabilities we are including are quite enough. They have to be multiplied, when they yield a chance of one part in 10^20 or obtaining the required enzyme in a functioning form.

By itself, this small probability could be faced, because one must contemplate not just a single shout at obtaining the enzyme, but a very large number of trials such as are supposed to have occurred in an organic soup early in the history of the Earth. The trouble is that there are about two thousand enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a random trial is only one part in (10^20)2000=10^40,000, an outrageously small probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted of organic soup."
    Evolution from Space (1981) p.24

"Any theory with a probability of being correct that is larger than one part in 10^40,000 must be judged superior to random shuffling. The theory that life was assembled by an intelligence has, we believe, a probability vastly higher than one part in 10^40,000 of being the correct explanation of the many curious facts discussed in preceding chapters. Indeed, such a theory is so obvious that one wonders why it is not widely accepted as being self-evident. The reasons are psychological rather than scientific. " Evolution from Space (1981) p.130

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You're quoting papers from 1981, and they're discussing the origin of life, not evolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any chance you could go easy on the very BLUE!!!!! font? It's a little jarring when using the dark boards skin.

Ta.

endacl wrote: »
    Any chance you could go easy on the very BLUE!!!!! font? It's a little jarring when using the dark boards skin.

Ta.

It's jarring when you're not using the dark skin as well :pac:

• Advertisement

You're quoting papers from 1981, and they're discussing the origin of life, not evolution.
    They were talking about the origins of life and its supposed 'evolution'.

J C wrote: »
    They were talking about the origins of life and its supposed 'evolution'.

Everything you quoted was about the origin of life.

Even if they were about evolution, they're from 1981. It would be standard practice to back up such dated evidence with something more recent. As a scientist I'm sure you already know this though :pac:

Everything you quoted was about the origin of life.

Even if they were about evolution, they're from 1981. It would be standard practice to back up such dated evidence with something more recent. As a scientist I'm sure you already know this though :pac:
    Maths doesn't change irrespective of the date it's done.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Maths doesn't change irrespective of the date it's done.

Who are we to fathom the logic of those who reject the obvious tenets of culture?

Nescience is a bottomless pit in which they have no choice but to wail and gnash their teeth at the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

so only scientists from maybe two of the three Abrahamic faiths(excluding Judaism??) believe in creation theory?you would think that if the theory was correct people from other faiths would be easily convinced by the facts??

• Advertisement

kingchess wrote: »
    so only scientists from maybe two of the three Abrahamic faiths(excluding Judaism??) believe in creation theory?you would think that if the theory was correct people from other faiths would be easily convinced by the facts??

It's almost like it's a theory designed purely to fit their worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Remind me, who ran the industrial schools and Magdalene Laundries? Whoever they were, they shat on the idea of liberty.

Ah, Popephilistine (sic) raises his head :)

Hi pope!

catallus wrote: »

Hi pope!
    ... surely 'your holiness' would be the correct formal greeting ... would it not?:):D

Hi pope!

hi Catallus-do you know if scientists from other faiths back the theory of creation?

I know many Creationists who are Jews.

... and I have cited two Atheists ... who laid the foundations for Intelligent Design.

I know many Creationists who are Jews.

... and I have cited two Atheists ... who laid the foundations for Intelligent Design.

They really didn't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

They really didn't though.

You argue your case very convincingly. I cannot find a fault in you expertly explained logic. Such elegance. Well done. We are all now convinced.

hi Catallus-do you know if scientists from other faiths back the theory of creation?

Sigh, we've all been over this before.

Genesis is an allegory.

Scientists have their own makey-uppy story of creation (The Big Bang Theory)

You argue your case very convincingly. I cannot find a fault in you expertly explained logic. Such elegance. Well done. We are all now convinced.

They don't mention intelligent design or anything of the sort. Their work was misinterpreted and twisted in order to produce the intelligent design 'theory'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's better than yours, which is "durrrr its true becuz bibul".

This would be a good start for you and your kind.

Heh.

so you are saying that no scientist from a non-Abrahamic faith backs the creation theory????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If anyone laid the foundations for intelligent design surely it was the one true dog, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Thanks. But am already familiar with that view of the scientific process. But it is not the only one. There are others also offering a system for deep understanding. But many here seem to be closed to any but the limited view of what they see as the 'only' scientific way.

Thanks. But am already familiar with that view of the scientific process. But it is not the only one. There are others also offering a system for deep understanding. But many here seem to be closed to any but the limited view of what they see as the 'only' scientific way.

That would be because by definition they aren't science.

It's like me claiming to be a Christian, but that instead of the biblical God I believe we were all created by a 62 metre tall gerbil called Rupert.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Isrealites who wrote the Old Testament ... and were called 'goat herders' by M5 .... did.
    Actually no they didn't. Or at least those who built the pyramids weren't slaves. They were free men, commoners of the kingdom who laboured in the task in the downtime part of the growing season. They were paid in food and beer(good call) and were provided with medical attention and the option of being buried next to the pharaoh. It was a religious and community driven undertaking. The much later Jewish texts mention enslavement because they were considered enemies of Egypt and had their arses kicked more than once by Pharonic armies and that memory would have been current within their set of cultural memes.
    I will.

Acts 7:9-10
    9 And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him,

10 And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house.
    As has been pointed out Egyptian records make no mention of Moses or any of that. No plagues or Jews fleeing. Interestingly Moses is, or could be an Egyptian name. It means "son of"
    Scientists have their own makey-uppy story of creation (The Big Bang Theory)
    A "makey-uppy story" that at least has much observable evidence to back up the general notion that all matter in the universe is flying away from a singular point in the past. Don't get me wrong I personally see all sorts of holes in some aspects of current cosmology. EG "dark" matter and energy. When calculations were made and there was a large deficit in observable matter and energy, rather than consider that the maths underlining the theory might be suspect current science seemed to get very closed minded and IMH invented Dark stuff as a fudge. Too much like "here be dragons" or "terra incognita" dressed up in mathematical onanism for my liking. However it doesn't take away from the clear observable evidence that all matter and energy in the universe seems to have come from a singularity 15(?) billion years ago. It just means we have more to discover and discover it we will. Do NOT get me started on "string theory". Again IMH more mathematical onanism and unprovable with it.

Oh by the by JC, what about those pesky Neandertals and Erectus and Denisovans? Where do they fit in? How many Adams were there?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm all for onanism, but I hope we're all agreed that dragons aren't real.

(because they wouldn't get on the Ark.)

I'm all for onanism, but I hope we're all agreed that dragons aren't real.

(because they wouldn't get on the Ark.)

Of course they would, larger animals such as some dinosaurs managed it, and they wouldn't have eaten any of the other animals or people because they were vegetarians before the Fall.

• Advertisement

They could have.

I'm just saying they didn't!

Jesus!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement