Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

The fact my carpet is blue is in line with my account that unicorns painted it that colour 10 seconds ago. That doesn't make my account accurate.

But it means it is a plausible theory. Which you can test, refine, or revise later as your knowledge improves. Which is good science.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

But it means it is a plausible theory. Which you can test, refine, or revise later as your knowledge improves. Which is good science.

Nope, can't test it. The unicorns are invisible to all but me.

I have this book I wrote that says it's true though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

J C wrote: »
    Its not just Creationists who say this ... Evolutionists also believe "that every person on Earth right now can trace his or her lineage back to a single common female ancestor."
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/evolution/female-ancestor.htm
    oddly enough that doesn't necessarily mean that 23 chromosomes were also bottle necked at the same time.

and the timescale involved is something like 150,000 years

Nope, can't test it. The unicorns are invisible to all but me.

I have this book I wrote that says it's true though.

So now, not only do we have a theory, but an eye witness. The case for the unicorns and the leading theory is reinforced.

So now, not only do we have a theory, but an eye witness. The case for the unicorns and the leading theory is reinforced.

But what if someone found the receipt for said carpet and traced it back to the factory where it was made, making the stunning revelation that it was in fact dyed blue there? :eek:

• Advertisement

But what if someone found the receipt for said carpet and traced it back to the factory where it was made, making the stunning revelation that it was in fact dyed blue there? :eek:

Than that looks like a better answer, and the unicorn idea is dropped. We then say the carpet was probably dyed blue in a factory.

Than that looks like a better answer, and the unicorn idea is dropped. We then say the carpet was probably dyed blue in a factory.

My mate pat reckons the receipt was left there by the unicorns though. They like to mess with people.

My mate pat reckons the receipt was left there by the unicorns though. They like to mess with people.

We consider that possibility. But based on the reason that we have no evidence for unicorns, but do of factories being able to die carpets blue, the die factory is still the leading theory. Pat must try harder to back up his theory, or provide us evidence of unicorns.

We consider that possibility. But based on the reason that we have no evidence for unicorns, but do of factories being able to die carpets blue, the die factory is still the leading theory.

I just read over my posts and realised I should probably go to sleep :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OK. That's enough. I'll leave it to the more patient posters on the 'actually know what they're talking about team'. Best of luck to you with the Ingenue and the Eel.

I'm afraid I couldn't be bothered. They're taking the pi55.

Holybabyjebus! Nearly ten years of stubborn, wilful stupidity, Really? Can evolution run in reverse? Please tell me he hasn't bred....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

catallus wrote: »
    Self-criticism is one of the biggest themes in any organised religion.

You and I both know that this is a bare faced lie. But, then again, you're a poster who calls himself after one of the most well known traitorous conspiricists ever (and couldn't even be arsed to get his name spelled right), so what's a giant stinking porky to you anyway?

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Thought?
    As in...'don't know for sure'?
    As in...'guesswork'?
    As in....totally made up?

JC got his scientician degree in the University of What Some Bloke in the Pub Told Me, a highly prestigious institution for sciencirific learning. He then went on and got his Masters in Argumentum ex Culo out of the PIDOOMA Institute of Technology, so he's one of the world's leading expert in the science created by the Creationist's Nightmare, of making **** up on the spot and running when called on it. It is a great new field in creationism studies, allowing for massive strides in their work.

endacl wrote: »
    Guys. I read on a website that the Earth is flat. Any thoughts? I'm kind of in the fence meself.

De Chelonian Mobile, Endacl, De Chelonian Mobile.

Isn't Hades Greek mythology?

Yep, it's where the christians picked up the concept of hell from. Judaism had no such concept at the time christianity got going, so they borrowed from their most numerous converts in the early days (the early days of chrisitianity being at about 100CE), former polytheistic Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Great explanation.

So if I have it correct :

Most of your list is pretty ok, with some pedantic subtleties I could correct you on but it is not worth your time, or mine. But the last two about homosexuality are way off. There is no reason to see it as a "disorder" than I can think of.

There are numerous "sound explanations" of it too, the trick is to verify if one of them is correct.

For me I do not think there is any great mystery. If one simply admits that sexual attraction has a genetic element to it, then the case is already closed.

Why? Well because every single person on this planet already contains ALL the genes for being the other sex. There is not one genome for men and one for women. We each of us contain both. Right down to the genes for all the hormones and genitals and everything for the other sex.

Which of those genes is expressed (turned on) relies on different factors depending on the genes. Some are turned on and off by the XX and XY chromosome that determines sex. Others are simply turned on by the presence of certain hormones and other environmental factors. Many are BOTH.

So all one has to do to invoke an explanation for homosexuality is to simply point out you already HAVE the genes for homosexuality. The difference between a homosexual and heterosexual is that different genes that they BOTH have are expressed in each of them.

No mystery really at all.

As for no good theories explaining to be "beneficial" I would point out two things:

1) No one says a trait has to be beneficial to survive selection and be perpetuated throughout generations.
    2) Many species DO have non reproducing individuals in them, with some species even having a vast majority who do not, and they are not weakened but strengthened by these elements. So do not write homosexuality off as being non-beneficial TOO easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Just not on the timescale? So more like man was created 150000 to 200000 years ago ?
    150,000 Evolutionist 'years' allright.:)
    The problem is that the regression equations are out by a factor of about 25.
    ... it happens ... Sheldon Cooper was off by a factor of 10,000!!!

This 'Sheldon Cooper Moment' is coming to an Evolutionist near you!!!:D

He ends with the interesting observation that "now I'm worse than a fraud ... I'm practically a Biologist"!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

... it happens Sheldon Cooper who was off by a factor of 10,000!!!

A guy in a sitcom on the telly got a calculation wrong and this proves huh?

Is this the level of infantile argument you have slipped to?

The real reason you've been arguing this stuff for 9 years is because you keeping failing Sophistry 101 in law school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

That there's 92 pages arguing whether evolution is true or not is kinda depressing, but ultimately a warning in some ways.

There's an amazing book called 'Why Evolution is True' which sets out the argument in very simple, easy to understand terms. The idea behind which is to prepare you for the likes of JC (if ya meet them in real life). If you enjoy popular science at all I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

No ... the question is how 'the fittest' arrived i.e. came to be, in the first place.
    NS is quite good at selecting out 'un-fit' organisms that result from mutations and other injuries ... but it doesn't explain how the perfect or almost perfect organisms we observe came to be.

It is Human Nature to want to win arguments. This tendency occurs across all disciplines.
    Lawyers have a 'nose' for the truth ... and they are trained to follow lines of questioning that establish the truth.

As a lawyer, can I just saw we very much aren't.

We are trained to know the law and legal procedure, and how to use that for the benefit of our clients.

A large part of our job involves putting forth arguments we don't necessarily belive in ourselves.

Efit: just to clarify, I'm not saying we are the lying conniving con men we are made out to be.

But our job is to represent our clients interests not our own, so sometimes that will mean putting forward a somewhat shaky position or argument in the best way we can in the hopes of getting a result for them.

We don't outright lie (at least we shouldn't), but we are often required to try and interpret the facts in a way which suits a narrative, rather than searching for an objective truth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

... you can hang onto that, if you want ... the evidence is clear that we are all descended from one man and one man only.
    ... of course, we are descended from many other different men down our family trees ... just like your father and my father were different people ... but none of these was Adam ... and nobody is arguing that they were.
    Christ *heads desk*. How can anyone be so ill informed. TBH when Mitochondrial "Eve" was first described it galled me that they decided the discovery of this person(rather a group of women) was to be dumbed down for the cheap seats and named "Eve". I just knew the dribblers and the fcuktards would be out in force shouting "see the Bible was right".

This "eve" is simply the most recent common ancestor of living humans today. She(rather they) wasn't the first human woman, nor was she taken from some guys rib. She had a mother and a grandmother and so on going back thousands of generations. There were other women around her at the time and their mitochondrial lines continued for a time, but then died out.

That can happen quite easily and indeed has happened historically. Look to our nearest neighbour the UK. There was an invasion and colonisation by Saxons over a thousand years ago. We know this for a fact. Today? A tiny proportion of English men can trace Saxon DNA in their lines. Of English women? None. Zip. Nada. The Saxon female lines have entirely disappeared. If one was to apply biblical "logic" to this particular event they could claim Saxon women never existed.

On "Adam"(gah!), same thing occurred. "Him", rather his male lines, are the most recent common ancestor of human male lines of today. The today part is important. As I have pointed out Mungo man found in Australia, a guy from around 40,000 years ago after this so called "Adam" and "Eve" had a different set of lines. How's that work then? Neandertals have a very different matrilineal and patrilineal setup. Like I've said how many Adams and Eves did this god of yours create?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wibbs wrote: »
    Christ *heads desk*. How can anyone be so ill informed. TBH when Mitochondrial "Eve" was first described it galled me that they decided the discovery of this person(rather a group of women) was to be dumbed down for the cheap seats and named "Eve". I just knew the dribblers and the fcuktards would be out in force shouting "see the Bible was right".

This "eve" is simply the most recent common ancestor of living humans today. She(rather they) wasn't the first human woman, nor was she taken from some guys rib. She had a mother and a grandmother and so on going back thousands of generations. There were other women around her at the time and their mitochondrial lines continued for a time, but then died out.

That can happen quite easily and indeed has happened historically. Look to our nearest neighbour the UK. There was an invasion and colonisation by Saxons over a thousand years ago. We know this for a fact. Today? A tiny proportion of English men can trace Saxon DNA in their lines. Of English women? None. Zip. Nada. The Saxon female lines have entirely disappeared. If one was to apply biblical "logic" to this particular event they could claim Saxon women never existed.

On "Adam"(gah!), same thing occurred. "Him", rather his male lines, are the most recent common ancestor of human male lines of today. The today part is important. As I have pointed out Mungo man found in Australia, a guy from around 40,000 years ago after this so called "Adam" and "Eve" had a different set of lines. How's that work then? Neandertals have a very different matrilineal and patrilineal setup. Like I've said how many Adams and Eves did this god of yours create?
    I read his posts a couple of times to see if that was what he was actually arguing, there isn't a single straight piece of information in any of his posts, everything has to be twisted in some way, there's no way someone is accidentally that oblivious, he has to be a long term troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm surprised that so many posters still seem to under the assumption that logical argument will actually have an effect, and that a failure to be convinced up to this point is down to insufficient evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Facts are facts ... as you guys keep saying ...
    ... so science has proven that we are all descended from one woman (Mitochondrial Eve) and one man (Y-chromosome Adam) ...
    ... sounds like the Bible was correct, after all, when it said that we are all descended from Adam and Eve.
    And they in turn were descended from lower primates, something that the Bible was not correct on - or at least omitted.

Indeed, it seems a bit bizarre that you feel that because we may have all ultimately have a common ancestor or two (Mitochondrial Eve's parents were also common ancestors of ours, btw), that you conclude that the Bible was somehow correct - and AFAIK, evolution also accepted the common ancestor hypothesis or at least did not rule this out. How this proves that the universe is less than 10,000 years old, or the whole garden of Eden myth is a bit beyond me.

Naturally, the Bible will get some things 'right' - even a broken clock is right twice a day. But to jump from the Bible being correct on one thing to the Bible simply being 'correct', is terribly broken logic, I'm afraid.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    This "eve" is simply the most recent common ancestor of living humans today. She(rather they) wasn't the first human woman, nor was she taken from some guys rib.
    You know, had God taken one or two more ribs out, he could have saved himself the trouble of creating Eve in the first place...

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so many posters still seem to under the assumption that logical argument will actually have an effect, and that a failure to be convinced up to this point is down to insufficient evidence.

I will say though the scientific arguments are a really fascinating read for the rest of us. Some really well informed posters here, who clearly know their fields very well.

Really making me regret not pursuing some sort of career in biology or zoology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

tigger123 wrote: »
    That there's 92 pages arguing whether evolution is true or not is kinda depressing, but ultimately a warning in some ways.

If only you knew. JC has being pretty much keeping a thread on the go single handedly in A+A, which is now at 127 pages, and another in Christianity at 286 pages, and both of these threads were created because the previous ones exceeded the maximum post count for a thread.

Now here's the thing, they proposed theories that differed from the conventional. Because in science you can do that.

And yet all creationists tote the party line.

Again I don't think you understand what science is.

If Rosalind Franklin hadn't shared her research to Watson and Crick then you may never have heard of them.

Hoyle was big into panspersia so no creator, no 6,000 year old earth , and most definitely earth isn't special. Also while some of his early work was inspired , carbon cycle in stars and stuff, not so much attention was paid to the later stuff.

Also if life didn't originate on earth you are back to a chicken and egg scenario. Except we have finite age for heavy elements so even his theories say that life evolved.

Oh, and saying Crick was an early proponent of creatardism is a big fat lie, along the same lines (but not quite the same magnitude) as holocaust denial. Crick for all his faults never said anything that without some deep quote mining could possibly be construed as support for, or indicating a scientific basis for said creatardism.

Though I will give the creatards one thing. In one sense they are more consistent and more perceptive than their science accepting fellow religionists. At least they know, somehow despite the deep well of Neanderthal stupid they constantly drink from, that by rejecting such a major part of the bible as the creation myth (and calling it allegorical is rejecting it, because the writers meant it to be taken literally) you must logically reject the rest of the old testament, and therefore the "life" of Jebus (if he even existed, it is almost certain that if there were a historical Jesus he has little to no place in the gospels or new testament) is built on a pack of lies and therefore worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the evolutionary adam and eves didn t live at the same time or in the same place,so there goes the garden of eden....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

endacl wrote: »
    OK. That's enough. I'll leave it to the more patient posters on the 'actually know what they're talking about team'. Best of luck to you with the Ingenue and the Eel.

I'm afraid I couldn't be bothered. They're taking the pi55.

Holybabyjebus! Nearly ten years of stubborn, wilful stupidity, Really? Can evolution run in reverse? Please tell me he hasn't bred....
    He alleges that he has bred, with his allegedly very hot wife. Have a search on the A&A board, he has some kind of creepy sexual innuendo posts there.
    floggg wrote: »

We don't outright lie (at least we shouldn't), but we are often required to try and interpret the facts in a way which suits a narrative, rather than searching for an objective truth.
    Apart from the bit I have struck out, you make lawyers sound a lot like creatards.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

the evolutionary adam and eves didn t live at the same time or in the same place,so there goes the garden of eden....

Worse than that.... who the evolutionary eve(s) were actually mathematically changes every time new women are born. The title of who it was or were does not stay stationary in the mathematics. It varies with time.

It seems that when describing these things however the scientists, as they often do, used some poetic license and reached into local culture (in this case local montheism) and pulled out some useful terms.

And as you have seen, creationists act like this proves something about the Garden of Eden fairy tale.

Similar happened when the Higgs Boson was titled "the God particle". At some point scientists will realize that using religious language under artistic license, causes more harm than good. It either confuses.... or is willfully misunderstood with intent.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    He alleges that he has bred, with his allegedly very hot wife. Have a search on the A&A board, he has some kind of creepy sexual innuendo posts there.

Apart from the bit I have struck out, you make lawyers sound a lot like creatards.

MrP

If you looked at the context, they was tge point.

A law professor isn't a good authority on advanced biology and evolution - what he is though is skilled at editing and presenting facts in a way which supports whatever argument he is asked to advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement