Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

Do these darwinists actually exist, because I know I do not have this blind spot and I have not observed it in anyone on this thread. Nor do I think the phrase "darwinists" actually means anything.

But it is not a delusion for the reason I outlines very clearly in my post. A post you just called a good post.

Myths are things that do not exist at all. Emotions exist, whatever they might be. What they appear to be is an emergent attribute of the system itself. A self referential system that is self aware. I am not sure what is mythihcal or delusional about it.

Again there is no delusion. The subjective entity is subjectively important to itself. And we are ok with that. You are making more of it than needs be. Or less of it, depending on how you look at it.

I just saw your post. You are a good poster. I appreciate your reply. My reply will be long winded and hard to understand in parts but bear with me and I hope I do a good job of explaining my thoughts.

My point is this, and this is the view I have at the moment, - darwinists have to have a blind spot about the ramifications of evolutionary theories and the darwinian evolution & physical materialist view (im just going to call this darwinism for short). Let me explain more deeply...

They ultimately CANNOT apply darwinism to their subjective experience or truly understand the ramifications of it (i will explain what i mean as you read on). This is because they are unable to be completely objective due to a subjective bias (even though they claim that they are). However, your subjective experience is, in darwinian materialistic terms, reductable to physical material dynamics and the entire emotional circuitry that you have is a chance product of evolution. (again, this is all glossed over and not fully understood).

You have said that the subjective entity is important to itself - prefering life over death. This is a bias for life over death - and is embedded into the organism (i.e you have been programmed to prefer life rather than death ultimately) by evolution. This is the foundation of why the blind spot/delusion exists - and you can see it in the responses to my posts (i only read two but i imagine there were others along the same lines) who couldn't understand what I was saying. This was because they couldn't grasp true nature of what I was saying about emotions/experiences due to this subjective bias (hence blind spot = delusion). you cannot interpret your emotions/experiences as arbitrary and as physical material and apply that to your life - instead you see how delusional they are - they couldn't even understand the points made.

I've had this argument before, so I knew exactly what kinds of responses I would get. It's human nature to be rigid and hard headed - I don't expect to change anyones mind here - im only making this post because I am bored & cant sleep. However, I will read your reply at some point, as you've written good posts. I will just search your posts and read your reply, rather than browsing through the thread and the predictable replies.

Since all emotions are simply the chance result of natural selection and also reductable to physical biochemical processes - they don't mean anything in themselves - they are physical material and not better (and not worse) than any other physical material. This is a key understanding and this is what 99% of people will fail to be able to understand due to subjective biases.

This means that to be consistent with evolution and the darwinian materialic view, subjectivity would have to be overcome with objectivity, at least in this respect. This seems very hard for most people - "my emotions are not physical material". However, (and I think you will agree), the programmed subjective bias means that subjectivity cannot overcome objectivity and the real ramifications of what I outlined in the above paragraph are either not able to be understood (blind spot - seen on this thread) or understood and avoided/ignored.

The "subjective entity" is automatically biased against the arbitrary nature of the foundation of their subjectivity and materialistic view of their own subjectivity/their own mind.

I could go on but im getting tired. To summarize, delusions/blind spots are built into the subjective entity so that subjectivity overcomes objectivity. This is needed because strict darwinian objectivity is counter to life itself. If emotions and so on are actually understood and interpreted as nothing more than physical material and the arbitrary and essentially meaningless nature of the chance evolutionary proccesses that happened to naturally select arbitrary biochemical pathways are understood and emotional circuitry is truely accepted and interpreted as nothing more than meaningless physical material (meaningless in objective terms), then objectivity overcomes subjectivity and life isn't necessarily better or worse than death and "believing" in emotions (i.e physical material) becomes a delusion. This isn't to say you wouldn't HAVE emotions.

Therefore, delusion and blind spots are absolutely critical to the subjective entity. To be anything other than completely objective (i.e consistent with a materialist view of subjectivity/your own mind) is, by definition, a delusion/blind spot. The darwinian physical materialist POV coupled with the chance/arbitrary design (evolutionarily) of subjectivity itself, combine to essentially negate that subjectivity and expose it as a delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster, there's a second poster engaging in verbosity now!

I notice there's no mention of the "subjectivity" of creationists, of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

:pac:
    Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster, there's a second poster engaging in verbosity now!

I notice there's no mention of the "subjectivity" of creationists, of course. :rolleyes:

This one was posting earlier, he's great craic.

He can't seem to grasp the fact that no one is concerned about the implications he talk about, and when anyone points this out he throws a huff and says they're just not smart enough to understand. Good debating tactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm on a diet, but this one is making me want to start on a packet of Aldi gluten free chocolate digestives. maybe that is darwinian subjective and materialistic?:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe there's a special type of self loathing required to be a committed Christian. After all it's a great business model, convince people they're somehow broken and need spiritual mending, and there's only one person who can do it. Who happens to be the person who made you broken to begin with...

You're basically committing yourself to eternal worship of a tyrant because he couldn't manage to stop two people from eating an apple. The mental gymnastics behind such a belief system are actually boggling.
    +1000. It's one of the biggest issues I have theologically and philosophically with the Abrahamic faiths.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well, I checked the sums he does in it and they look OK. Also, he has a friend who has a PhD in Caltech so I guess he knows what he is talking about.
    So Darwinian evolution does look to be wrong. OK, to be pernickity, we can say it looks unlikely in the extreme. The number dont lie, and the with the odds he calculates, we can now pretty much discount Darwin. Which does make it look like someone who understood how to put together amino acids in a way that would create us and plants and other animals so that we wouldnt starve, did just that. Which is pretty clever without a doubt. And looks to be the best thoery for the moment. (BTW, does anyone know what Unversity that is ?).

Firstly, as obplayer pointed out, we are now talking about a separate area than evolution. Evolution is about how complex life arose, while the study of how life began is called abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is an ungoing field of research, there are leading theories but it is far from settled. Point is that they are separate things, I'd imagine that the catholic church, which officially accepts evolution, probably takes a god centric view of abiogenesis.

Secondly that video is deliberately misleading. To give just one example, I pull 10 coins out of my pocket and lay them flat on the table, the sequence I got is hhtthhttth. The probability of me getting that exact sequence is 1 in 1024. However their is no "correct" sequence, it is arbitrary, so the chances of me getting a sequence are actually 1. To bring my point back then, the question is if there are multiple sequences that could result in life, and we just happen to have this one? (I'm not claiming it is entirely arbitrary though, just somewhere in between).

There are other examples, but really he says it himself at the end. No serious scientist thinks life began by chance (though he deliberately dropped the word "entirely" from that sentence). Abiogenesis is in many ways primarily the study of what natural processes, like chemical reactions, could reduce that probability down to manageable levels.

Knasher wrote: »
    Firstly, as obplayer pointed out, we are now talking about a separate area than evolution. Evolution is about how complex life arose, while the study of how life began is called abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is an ungoing field of research, there are leading theories but it is far from settled. Point is that they are separate things, I'd imagine that the catholic church, which officially accepts evolution, probably takes a god centric view of abiogenesis.

Secondly that video is deliberately misleading. To give just one example, I pull 10 coins out of my pocket and lay them flat on the table, the sequence I got is hhtthhttth. The probability of me getting that exact sequence is 1 in 1024. However their is no "correct" sequence, it is arbitrary, so the chances of me getting a sequence are actually 1. To bring my point back then, the question is if there are multiple sequences that could result in life, and we just happen to have this one? (I'm not claiming it is entirely arbitrary though, just somewhere in between).

There are other examples, but really he says it himself at the end. No serious scientist thinks life began by chance (though he deliberately dropped the word "entirely" from that sentence). Abiogenesis is in many ways primarily the study of what natural processes, like chemical reactions, could reduce that probability down to manageable levels.

Another important thing to note is, like our friend in the other video earlier, he isn't a professor of biology. He's a bit closer to the mark than the law professor, but he's still teaching incorrect information about he field he isn't even an expert in. I'd imagine that talk was given in the University of the Sacred Heart, Somewhere in the deep south, USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

:pac:

This one was posting earlier, he's great craic.

He can't seem to grasp the fact that no one is concerned about the implications he talk about, and when anyone points this out he throws a huff and says they're just not smart enough to understand. Good debating tactic

You'll note he's also note reading any response but just assuming he knows what they'll say.

floggg wrote: »
    You'll note he's also noting reading any response but just assuming he knows what they'll say.

That's because he knows if he actually debates this with anyone it will get shown up for the utter tripe that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

floggg wrote: »
    You'll note he's also note reading any response but just assuming he knows what they'll say.
    That's because he knows if he actually debates this with anyone it will get shown up for the utter tripe that it is.
    Paddy1990s stalking ground is usually The Gentlemans Forum where his boasts about his sexual prowess, physical appearance that inspires offers of casual sex in the street, male modeling career, city centre nightclub manager mates, Jessica Alba lookalike promiscuous female friends (not making any of these claims up) are nearly as legendary as J C's exploits in the Atheism and Agnostics Forum...

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Paddy1990s stalking ground is usually The Gentlemans Forum where his boasts about his sexual prowess, physical appearance that inspires offers of casual sex in the street, male modeling career, city centre nightclub manager mates, Jessica Alba lookalike promiscuous female friends (not making any of these claims up) are nearly as legendary as J C's exploits in the Atheism and Agnostics Forum...

I need to spend more time over there, this all sounds very entertaining :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Faktuu

I don`t understand why are we still talking about that in 21 century since even Darwin had an actual factual proof of he`s theory
    it ware pigeons, dogs etc. that ppl ware artificially evolving to own needs for centuries.
    All that creationism BS comes from ppl not being able to cope with they`re own mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd say it's more fear that creationists' entire belief system will come crashing down (I don't doubt that sentence will prompt J C to post his umpteenth "I know you are but what am I?" post in this thread) because of evolution. If the Book of Genesis is wrong, what else in the Bible is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Faktuu

everything in bible is wrong lets take the 10 commandments for example
    You shall have no other gods before Me.
    A king that has to remind about he`s position is not a king
    You shall not make idols.
    Same as above plus the Bank of Vatican
    You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
    Read. do not speak or think about it or you might discover holes.
    Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    Again same as no 1
    Honor your father and your mother.
    the only one that sort of makes sense but on some level it means take whatever they believe as higher truth
    You shall not murder.
    exept for members of other religions and infidels remeber cruasdes
    You shall not commit adultery.
    back in the day when it was writen a single mother would be stoned to death and a man could walk free
    thats why mary had to come up whith a story for the belly
    You shall not steal.
    from the temples
    You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    of the same religion, read some history.
    You shall not covet.
    this means that you should not screw with someone else property like slaves

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

paddy1990 wrote: »
    I just saw your post. You are a good poster. I appreciate your reply. My reply will be long winded and hard to understand in parts but bear with me and I hope I do a good job of explaining my thoughts.

My point is this, and this is the view I have at the moment, - darwinists have to have a blind spot about the ramifications of evolutionary theories and the darwinian evolution & physical materialist view (im just going to call this darwinism for short). Let me explain more deeply...

They ultimately CANNOT apply darwinism to their subjective experience or truly understand the ramifications of it (i will explain what i mean as you read on). This is because they are unable to be completely objective due to a subjective bias (even though they claim that they are). However, your subjective experience is, in darwinian materialistic terms, reductable to physical material dynamics and the entire emotional circuitry that you have is a chance product of evolution. (again, this is all glossed over and not fully understood).

You have said that the subjective entity is important to itself - prefering life over death. This is a bias for life over death - and is embedded into the organism (i.e you have been programmed to prefer life rather than death ultimately) by evolution. This is the foundation of why the blind spot/delusion exists - and you can see it in the responses to my posts (i only read two but i imagine there were others along the same lines) who couldn't understand what I was saying. This was because they couldn't grasp true nature of what I was saying about emotions/experiences due to this subjective bias (hence blind spot = delusion). you cannot interpret your emotions/experiences as arbitrary and as physical material and apply that to your life - instead you see how delusional they are - they couldn't even understand the points made.

I've had this argument before, so I knew exactly what kinds of responses I would get. It's human nature to be rigid and hard headed - I don't expect to change anyones mind here - im only making this post because I am bored & cant sleep. However, I will read your reply at some point, as you've written good posts. I will just search your posts and read your reply, rather than browsing through the thread and the predictable replies.

Since all emotions are simply the chance result of natural selection and also reductable to physical biochemical processes - they don't mean anything in themselves - they are physical material and not better (and not worse) than any other physical material. This is a key understanding and this is what 99% of people will fail to be able to understand due to subjective biases.

This means that to be consistent with evolution and the darwinian materialic view, subjectivity would have to be overcome with objectivity, at least in this respect. This seems very hard for most people - "my emotions are not physical material". However, (and I think you will agree), the programmed subjective bias means that subjectivity cannot overcome objectivity and the real ramifications of what I outlined in the above paragraph are either not able to be understood (blind spot - seen on this thread) or understood and avoided/ignored.

The "subjective entity" is automatically biased against the arbitrary nature of the foundation of their subjectivity and materialistic view of their own subjectivity/their own mind.

I could go on but im getting tired. To summarize, delusions/blind spots are built into the subjective entity so that subjectivity overcomes objectivity. This is needed because strict darwinian objectivity is counter to life itself. If emotions and so on are actually understood and interpreted as nothing more than physical material and the arbitrary and essentially meaningless nature of the chance evolutionary proccesses that happened to naturally select arbitrary biochemical pathways are understood and emotional circuitry is truely accepted and interpreted as nothing more than meaningless physical material (meaningless in objective terms), then objectivity overcomes subjectivity and life isn't necessarily better or worse than death and "believing" in emotions (i.e physical material) becomes a delusion. This isn't to say you wouldn't HAVE emotions.

Therefore, delusion and blind spots are absolutely critical to the subjective entity. To be anything other than completely objective (i.e consistent with a materialist view of subjectivity/your own mind) is, by definition, a delusion/blind spot. The darwinian physical materialist POV coupled with the chance/arbitrary design (evolutionarily) of subjectivity itself, combine to essentially negate that subjectivity and expose it as a delusion.

A good rule of thumb is: if you cannot explain something briefly and clearly, then you probably do not understand it. I think this is the case here: you seem to be confusing yourself because you are mixing up lots of different concepts.

Your train of thought begins to derail when you conflate evolution and a strictly materialistic point of view, but trundles on merrily for some time after.

In essence, it seems you disagree with a purely materialistic point of view. The reason you give for this seems to be an apparent inability to distinguish between the materialistic processes and the emergent experience that follows it in the materialistic model of mind. You seem to feel that since the electrons that (according to materialists) cause the experience of thought are no different from the electrons in my cheese sandwich, this means there is some sort of conflict, because we do indeed value our experiences in a very different way.

The problem seems to be that you are confusing the content with the vessel, the hardware with the software. The conflict you imagine simply does not exist, either as an experience or in a philosophical way. We value the experience that emerges from the physical processes, and in order to do that we do not need to value the material bits that make those experiences happen.

I appreciate you feel that there is something profound going on here, but if you remove the woolly logic and imprecise terms and phrases, there simply is no problem left to argue over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Faktuu wrote: »
    You shall have no other gods before Me.
    Interestingly that commandment shows the echoes of the dawn of Judaism. It doesn't say "there are no gods but me". There were "other gods" back then. Baal for one. The peoples in the region that over time became Jews had lotsa gods and goddesses going on. So get some local faiths, elevate one of those gods over time and forget/write out the others and sprinkle heavily with Babylonian influences(the Flood/Eden) and stir for a couple of centuries and you end up with Judaism. It evolved as it were...

Christianity started off as a purely Jewish cult, then butted up against the breadth of Greco Roman thought, sloughed off the "foreign" stuff, like circumcision and pork avoidance and the like, tailored it to the new market of classical Europe and you get Christianity. Protestant christianity is still "Roman" as they just went back to the already winnowed and edited texts and some took them more literally.

Islam took both Judaism and Christianity(more the latter. Initially it was seen as a Christian heresy), but took less of the classical influences on board so kept the food restrictions and mickey chopping bits.

One character that is easy to follow the evolution of is the devil. Starts off as a vague "evil"(the serpent in the garden isn't named), then is a bit of an opposing judge of mankind. Gains more legs as a tempter, an actual singular entity in the gospels, but gets the fully gothic pointy eared, cloven hoofed living in a fiery hell treatment when it hits Rome and later Mecca. Jews don't have hell, or heaven for that matter. Not in the Christian/Islamic way. It's all very vague. There's some talk of an afterlife, but it's limited. It's barely mentioned at all in the old testament/torah and never directly. Their version of hell is more like a purgatory and a soul can only remain there for a year and can repent and leave at any time. Which is in fairness a lot more fair and merciful than the eternity of agonies the later faiths cling to.

Evolution all over the place in the very religions that may deny it. Irony folks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not only were there other gods apparently, but sometimes they seem to be stronger than the old testament God, who was still very much a local deity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

I'd say it's more fear that creationists' entire belief system will come crashing down (I don't doubt that sentence will prompt J C to post his umpteenth "I know you are but what am I?" post in this thread) because of evolution. If the Book of Genesis is wrong, what else in the Bible is wrong?

Well they have managed to disclaim most of leviticus and repaint their god as a cuddly teddy bear so I'm sure they would survive.

Just hide behind the allegory crap like the Vatican do.

I find it amazing that all JC's "genetic diversity" seems to have been contained in just 2 people. And that he tacitly agrees that a truly unholy amount of incest was required if we are to take that particular story literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I notice he hasn't commented on the fact that Mitochondrial Adam and Eve didnt turn out to be the (suddenly trustworthy) scientists admitting that the Book of Genesis had got it right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Vivisectus wrote: »
    I find it amazing that all JC's "genetic diversity" seems to have been contained in just 2 people. And that he tacitly agrees that a truly unholy amount of incest was required if we are to take that particular story literally.

If Eve was made from Adams rib,wouldn't she be a genetic clone anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Thargor wrote: »
    Ha, never even saw your post. I have low patience because I sit beside one of these people in work, they're always trying to show me things on websites that look like they were optimized for Netscape Navigator.

Next time they do that just show them the website Time Cube (warning: website is not safe for anybody who is not blind). Trust me, they won't go near you again (they'll have trouble getting out of the office, to be frank).

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

psalm 82 -he judgeth among the gods. also you have genesis 6 :2-4 the sons of god saw that the daughters of men etc. all how you interpret it I suppose.

Next time they do that just show them the website Time Cube (warning: website is not safe for anybody who is not blind). Trust me, they won't go near you again (they'll have trouble getting out of the office, to be frank).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Guys another question from someone from a non-scientific background.
    Is the relationship between birds and dinosaurs so close to suggest that dinosaurs never truly went extinct? What I mean is, are birds so close we could class them as dinosaurs and the only difference is their name?

Sorry if that might sound like a silly question to ask but I'm just trying to get as decent an understanding as possible without becoming a scientist myself.

iDave wrote: »
    Guys another question from someone from a non-scientific background.
    Is the relationship between birds and dinosaurs so close to suggest that dinosaurs never truly went extinct? What I mean is, are birds so close we could class them as dinosaurs and the only difference is their name?

Sorry if that might sound like a silly question to ask but I'm just trying to get as decent an understanding as possible without becoming a scientist myself.

Basically, yes. Birds are Dinosaurs and are generally classed as such today. It's not a silly question at all either, it's only relatively recently that the association has been verified to be as close as we now know it to be. To be more precise they're the one remaining branch of a specific group of dinosaurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

some would refer to them as dinosaurs but they have been evolving since the time of the dinosaurs descendants of the dinosaurs they are their own class of animal now it is believed that some dinosaurs were cold blooded but all modern birds are warmed blooded so I do not think they are referred to as dinosaurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

sheesh wrote: »
    some would refer to them as dinosaurs but they have been evolving since the time of the dinosaurs descendants of the dinosaurs they are their own class of animal now it is believed that some dinosaurs were cold blooded but all modern birds are warmed blooded so I do not think they are referred to as dinosaurs

Well to put it scientifically, they are in the same clade, Dinosauria. A subset of that clade called Avetheropoda contains both birds and dinosaurs like the T-Rex. Then a subset of that clade, Coelurosauria, contain birds and Velociraptor, and so on till you get to the clade Avialae, which is just birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    In theory it sounds plausible, however I just can't see how the math can stack up on this. Take the hypothesis discussed earlier in the thread, that a set of genes that contributed to having a gay male child might make female relatives slightly more fertile. This just doesn't seem to balance out.

Simples, the chances of you getting one copy of the gene are roughly 50% (their are four chances, not getting it at all, getting it from your father, getting it from your mother or getting it from both.) while your chances of getting anaemia is 25%, if both parents have a single copy of the gene. Therefore any child of such a union is twice as likely to be malaria resistant as to have anaemia.

Now lets look at the number of people dying from both malaria and sickle cell anaemia. Malaria killed an estimated 627,000 people worldwide in 2012 (source WHO), and that's down significantly on historic levels. I cannot find any statistics on deaths from sickle cell anaemia, but the WHO estimates the number of babies born each year with severe forms of all haemoglobin disorders (i.e. bad enough to be potentially fatal) at 300,000, i.e. less than half the number of malarial deaths. And from wikipedia the average lifespan of somebody with sickle cell anaemia is 53 for men and 58 for women (source), beyond the age where humans are expected to reproduce.

Therefore in areas which are malarial it is an absolute advantage to have the gene, even though you run the risk of getting a serious blood disorder.

But the reason why I think you cannot accept the logic behind this, and behind the fact that a certain percentage of a population is homosexual can be advantageous for the population is not because it is hard to grasp, but because you personally do not want to see it.

• Advertisement

Here's a great summary of the science behind it all

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/avians.html

Edit: the bird-dinosaur thing that is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement