Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

kingchess wrote: »

the facts-you know-the science:confused: the only people who believe in creation " theory" are people who try and fail to to fit the science to a 2000+year old book:D. no scientist would have came up with creation theory without having a very strong belief in the bible but it could be worse-they could have read and believed the LORD OF THE RINGS:confused::confused:.:D
    ... so what are the facts that lead you to conclude that Pondkind could evolve spontaneously into Mankind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

J C wrote: »
    ... we don't reject science ... and science actually supports the genesis account of Special Creation.

Wouldn't you be better off if you understood a little rather than misunderstanding a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

... we don't reject science ... and science actually supports the genesis account of Special Creation.

Including the talking snake episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so many posters still seem to under the assumption that logical argument will actually have an effect, and that a failure to be convinced up to this point is down to insufficient evidence.

I actually think the argument is there more for people like SaveOurLyrics who have merely been badly misinformed and have a genuine curiosity, and therefore can be taught than to try and convince the likes of JC. If the likes of Nozzferahtoo and Dr. Jimbob didn't argue JC's (and I use this term very loosely) "points" then some people out there could possibly be mislead (though not by JC, he's too funking incoherent, but there are others who get his side across better) into thinking this "creationism vs. evolution" "debate" is all up in the air, and not the non-argument it truly is.

They argue JC to counteract the poison he spreads in the minds of other people.

I actually think the argument is there more for people like SaveOurLyrics who have merely been badly misinformed and have a genuine curiosity, and therefore can be taught than to try and convince the likes of JC. If the likes of Nozzferahtoo and Dr. Jimbob didn't argue JC's (and I use this term very loosely) "points" then some people out there could possibly be mislead (though not by JC, he's too funking incoherent, but there are others who get his side across better) into thinking this "creationism vs. evolution" "debate" is all up in the air, and not the non-argument it truly is.

I'll not rise to that particular bait.:eek:
    ... suffices to say that one man's meat may be another man's poison.:pac:

• Advertisement

obplayer wrote: »
    Including the talking snake episode?
    Was this it?:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oh for fs sake. JC is back. Run while you still have a brain to make your legs move..RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN

housetypeb wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be better off if you understood a little rather than misunderstanding a lot?
    I would be better off if it was true ... but as it isn't true ... it doesn't apply.:pac:

Oh for fs sake. JC is back. Run while you still have a brain to make your legs move..RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN
    ... you can run and run and run ... and run ... like Forrest Gump ...
    ... but you can't actually hide ... from where you come from ... and where you're (ultimately) going.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Seems like it took a lot of energy for that snake. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pherekydes wrote: »
    No, she didn't! He's still fecking posting sh1te.

I'd say she was referring to someone else. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd say she was referring to someone else. ;)

Yeah, my tongue-in-cheek post was tongue-in-cheek.

Faktuu wrote: »
    I don`t understand why are we still talking about that in 21 century since even Darwin had an actual factual proof of he`s theory
    it ware pigeons, dogs etc. that ppl ware artificially evolving to own needs for centuries.
    All that creationism BS comes from ppl not being able to cope with they`re own mortality.

That's part of the reason why ToE was taken on so quickly by the establisment (almost uniquely for any scientific theory), because most of the establishment had been practising unnatural selection for generations (both on themselves {google Hapsburg jaw for a good laugh} and their livestock) and quickly realised that if humans could do it to themselves, their dogs, their horses and their cows, a changing environment could instill similar changes in species.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Stop trying to fool all of the people all of the time so.
    I thought that quote was PT Barnum?
    A big part of the problem IMO is that we are described taxonomically as Homo, when we should really be still described as Pan. A bit of arrogance on the part of the scientists who named us in the first place going so far as to use the name Homo Sapiens Sapiens (trans: really wise man) was I think kind of stupid.
    Actually the translation is "wise wise man". In any event I don't think taxonomical description is a bad one. We're very different from Pan. Early hominids were very different and modern humans are incredibly different from our pan ancestors and different even to our Homo ancestors. This can go both ways. On the one hand you have those who claim we're lords above other life and on the other, you have those who claim we're no different, ordinary, an animal with an ego. The reality is we do stand out and stand out a lot compared to all the life that has existed on this earth for three billion years. We're the ones who can count the years, we're the ones who invented gods and religions, we're the ones who named ourselves and we're the ones who named the very processes that gave rise to us. We name our own existence and may well end up changing the parameters of that existence(we already do on a basic level*). That marks us out and in a big effin way. We left "Pan" behind a very long time ago.

*Going by pre modern medicine stats at least half of the folks engaging on this thread would have been dead before adolescence and a few others would have pegged it before 20. We have externalised evolution and natural selection and have done so for about a million years and recently we've seen the process and named it and are now fiddling with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This, plus all this stuff is so damn interesting I'll take any excuse to share what I know about it :pac:

Also, this one kind of slipped under the radar, but I think J C said some dinosaurs were mammals a couple of pages ago. Did that actually happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

This, plus all this stuff is so damn interesting I'll take any excuse to share what I know about it :pac:

Also, this one kind of slipped under the radar, but I think J C said some dinosaurs were mammals a couple of pages ago. Did that actually happen?

Indeed. Although he also said that dinosaurs were, at the same time, "big" and as "small as a chicken".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

... so what are the facts that lead you to conclude that Pondkind could evolve spontaneously into Mankind?

Spontaneously? That's as a crazy as people being magicked out of thin air by a...oh...

Its a lecture on the competing theory to Materialistic Evolution ... Intelligent Design ... and this is how you scientifically detect design:-

Again (and again and again....) this lecture is also not about evolution, it is about abiogenesis. If you wish to discuss abiogenesis then please set up a thread about that and we can demolish your views on that also. And again, if you have so much difficulty grasping the difference between evolution and abiogenesis then your 'scientific credentials' must have come from the back of a cornflakes box.

Who said anything about spontaneously? Where does evolutionary science suggest any such thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

we've evolved, someone corrected the title thread.

jc a question for you

why did your god create us, are we just a vanity project?
    And why do we have tailbone?
    Is that just to remind us of our status?
    and if we are made in his(her)(its) image, why has he(she)(it) got a tailbone.

• Advertisement

That's part of the reason why ToE was taken on so quickly by the establisment (almost uniquely for any scientific theory), because most of the establishment had been practising unnatural selection for generations (both on themselves {google Hapsburg jaw for a good laugh} and their livestock) and quickly realised that if humans could do it to themselves, their dogs, their horses and their cows, a changing environment could instill similar changes in species.
    Yes, they were selecting for particular phenotypes from pre-existing genetic diversity ... and NS also does this.
    However the TOE doesn't explain how this diversity could arise, in the first place.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I thought that quote was PT Barnum?
    ... it was Abe Lincoln allright
    http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27074.html

'There is a sucker born every minute' is attributed to PT Barnum ... but it more likely originated as a criticism of PT Barnum's circus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
    Actually the translation is "wise wise man". In any event I don't think taxonomical description is a bad one. We're very different from Pan. Early hominids were very different and modern humans are incredibly different from our pan ancestors and different even to our Homo ancestors.
    A rapid (and wise) reverse!!!:) I guess you are Homo Sapiens, after all ... and not a glorified Ape.

This can go both ways. On the one hand you have those who claim we're lords above other life and on the other, you have those who claim we're no different, ordinary, an animal with an ego. The reality is we do stand out and stand out a lot compared to all the life that has existed on this earth for three billion years. We're the ones who can count the years, we're the ones who invented gods and religions, we're the ones who named ourselves and we're the ones who named the very processes that gave rise to us. We name our own existence and may well end up changing the parameters of that existence(we already do on a basic level*). That marks us out and in a big effin way. We left "Pan" behind a very long time ago.
    We never were Pan to begin with ... and I'm glad you have come through your 'ape-phase' and I only wish that all other evolutionists would become 'wise wise men' too and join you.

*Going by pre modern medicine stats at least half of the folks engaging on this thread would have been dead before adolescence and a few others would have pegged it before 20. We have externalised evolution and natural selection and have done so for about a million years and recently we've seen the process and named it and are now fiddling with it.
    During the Middle Ages and the Industrial Revolution life was short and cheap ... and we now live in a more enlightened era ... although not universally, as a (hopefully) brief visit to Ibiza or Sunny Beach will prove.:eek:
    Going back further into history, Human life spans were much longer as we hadn't yet developed the mutagenic load that we now have ... and modern medicine is 'flat out' trying to cure/manage.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

As opposed to God creating Adam from dust?

If you wanna go that route, your undermining genesis as much as anything else. That whole magic trick was actually spontaneous - unlike evolution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

... it was Abe Lincoln allright
    http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27074.html

'There is a sucker born every minute' is attributed to PT Barnum ... but it more likely originated as a criticism of PT Barnum's circus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
    Well I never... New fact learned. :)
    A rapid (and wise) reverse!!!:) I guess you are Homo Sapiens, after all ... and not a glorified Ape.

We never were Pan to begin with ... and I'm glad you have come through your 'ape-phase' and I only wish that all other evolutionists would become 'wise wise men' too and join you.
    Oh I am most certainly not on the overswing of the pendulum that just sees us as another "bauble on the christmas tree of life". This view IMHO is an over reaction and backlash to the religious(Abrahamic) view of us as lord above the animals. We are unique and I say that as someone who would be extremely reductionist. We fully modern humans of today and of the last 40-60,000 years are even unique among the already unique human family that went before us.

However it's pretty obvious even on a cursory glance that we are very closely related to the great apes. We come from the same "stock". If no apes existed and never showed up in the fossil record and then we show up outa the blue then we might say "ehhh hang on?". But that's not the case. Kinda like if you saw the Wright brothers flyer and then saw Concorde. You'd see they were both aircraft, but one was in a very different league.

Add in that we have a very good picture of human evolution from those first bipedal apes(of which there were a few. It was quite the fashion back in the day), all the way through Erectus(who I'd label the first "human") and those that followed all the way to us. Creationists are always stating that in the fossil record there are no intermediate fossils between one species and the next, yet they have to look no further than ourselves and how we got to be who we are today. Indeed you can see a clear progression from the earliest Homo Sapiens to us today.

During the Middle Ages and the Industrial Revolution life was short and cheap ... and we now live in a more enlightened era ... although not universally, as a (hopefully) brief visit to Ibiza or Sunny Beach will prove.:eek:
    Going back further into history, Human life spans were much longer as we hadn't yet developed the mutagenic load that we now have ... and modern medicine is 'flat out' trying to cure/manage.:)
    Not quite. By the time of the late paleolithic human lifespan was pretty fixed. The three score and ten(and four score for the very strong) of the sermon on the mount was the limit. Your average person who didn't die in childhood(the majority did) had a pretty good chance of seeing 60 at least. We see that in huntergatherer societies today. 60 and 70 year olds are not uncommon. In the classical era this held true. Consider that a Roman soldier signed up at 18 and was expected to serve for 25 years before retirement, which involved getting a lump sum and land to farm and raise a family. In the early days of the legions they weren't allowed to get married until they retired. So it wasn't considered odd for a 43 year old man to "settle down" and raise a family. Quite a number of soldiers didn't retire, some semi retired and were instructors, while all ex soldiers could be called up at any time as a reserve. This notion that back in the day "sure they all died at 25" is BS.

However the centuries lifespan the bible talks about has zero and I mean zero evidence. It's a common enough meme in primitive societies, along with "bottomless" lakes and pits and the like. There will likely come a time when through technology we as a species will become practically "immortal", but we'll do that ourselves. No bronze age middle eastern deity required.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

and you claim that you believed in evolution theory before creation theory??:confused:remember saying?? ,you were that soldier.NO-ONE could believe that pond kind could spontaneously turn into mankind.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spontaneously? You're confused....that's the trick the big bearded bloke living in the sky pulled.

It is not bait but an accurate (if overly mild and generous) description of the stuff you dribble out your mouth. You constantly lie (like claiming to be a scientist when you wouldn't even pass a test set a primary school level, or talking about your "wife" who is "so hot" {though that is probably more Walter Mitty than deliberate}), cheat, obfuscate, quote mine, and steal in order to try and make your ridiculous nonsense seem legitmate. You are the intellectual and moral equivalent of David Irvine, the holocaust denier.
    ... suffices to say that one man's meat may be another man's poison.:pac:

Just one more lie to add to the catalogue, eh, JC? Not like you're going to stop now after ten years of constantly lying on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never understood why creationists assume that evolution is mutually exclusive with their belief. If God created everything, then he created gravity, magnetism, the strong and weak atomic forces, all those other forces scientists love to geek out about, mass, etc. and if he did all that, he couldn't establish starting point and a mechanism - like evolution - to keep everything in motion? I mean, really. It would be God's equivalent of building a grandfather clock and giving the pendulum a right awl' swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Overheal wrote: »
    I never understood why creationists assume that evolution is mutually exclusive with their belief. If God created everything, then he created gravity, magnetism, the strong and weak atomic forces, all those other forces scientists love to geek out about, mass, etc. and if he did all that, he couldn't establish starting point and a mechanism - like evolution - to keep everything in motion? I mean, really. It would be God's equivalent of building a grandfather clock and giving the pendulum a right awl' swing.
    There's some argument for saying an intelligent being started off the universe in the knowledge that it would eventually lead to a self aware and sentient being emerging.

I don't accept that there's a god administrator making fine adjustments along the way though, because the universe doesn't need that kind of administration, it's so massive and varied that just about anything is inevitably going to happen inside it. Life is just a natural process that can pop up under the right conditions and the universe is so big that it probably happens quite a bit. Even though humans were an accident, similar accidents could happen on other planets with life because planets are in constant turmoil wiping out life on a massive scale and starting again quite frequently giving optimal conditions for an intelligent species to eventually emerge.

So if a being was smart enough he could create a universe safe in the knowledge that it will spit out maybe a handful of intelligent creatures (or maybe machines) after dozen or so billion years.

But micro managing that universe kind of defeats the purpose of building it so well in the first place. Things are going to happen anyway it doesn't need to be managed.

• Advertisement

It is not bait but an accurate (if overly mild and generous) description of the stuff you dribble out your mouth. You constantly lie (like claiming to be a scientist when you wouldn't even pass a test set a primary school level, or talking about your "wife" who is "so hot" {though that is probably more Walter Mitty than deliberate}), cheat, obfuscate, quote mine, and steal in order to try and make your ridiculous nonsense seem legitmate. You are the intellectual and moral equivalent of David Irvine, the holocaust denier.
    ... have you anything else nasty you can think up to lie about me?

Just one more lie to add to the catalogue, eh, JC? Not like you're going to stop now after ten years of constantly lying on here.
    one man's meat is indeed another man's poison ... and you have proven the rule by claiming that Creation Science evidence is 'poisonous' for Evolution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement