Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,826 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    one man's meat is indeed another man's poison ... and you have proven the rule by claiming that Creation Science evidence is 'poisonous' for Evolution.

would you like to present your evidence for creationism?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's some argument for saying an intelligent being started off the universe in the knowledge that it would eventually lead to a self aware and sentient being emerging.

I don't accept that there's a god administrator making fine adjustments along the way though, because the universe doesn't need that kind of administration, it's so massive and varied that just about anything is inevitably going to happen inside it.
    This a variety of Theism known as Deism.
    Life is just a natural process that can pop up under the right conditions and the universe is so big that it probably happens quite a bit.
    That's where we differ ... life has such a high level of CFSI (Complex Functional Specified Information), even at its least irreducibly complex configuration, that it is estimated to have a Combinatorial Space of 10^40,000 ... while the Universal Probability Bound is only a relatively puny 10^150

Even though humans were an accident, similar accidents could happen on other planets with life because planets are in constant turmoil wiping out life on a massive scale and starting again quite frequently giving optimal conditions for an intelligent species to eventually emerge.
    No, the CFSI required for life is on such a scale that the Universal Probability Bound rules out such 'accidents' ... even with all the matter in the Universe and all the supposed time since the supposed Big Bang.
    So if a being was smart enough he could create a universe safe in the knowledge that it will spit out maybe a handful of intelligent creatures (or maybe machines) after dozen or so billion years.

But micro managing that universe kind of defeats the purpose of building it so well in the first place. Things are going to happen anyway it doesn't need to be managed.
    It is possible that a 'very smart being' could create a Universe where CFSI is spontaneously generated ... but our Universe shows no such abilities ... in all cases CFSI is observed to be degraded/destroyed by non-intelligently directed changes to it ... and where the author is identified, it is, without exception, intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This a variety of Theism known as Deism.

That's where we differ ... life has such a high level of CFSI (Complex Functional Specified Information), even at its least irreducibly complex configuration, that it is estimated to have a Combinatorial Space of 10^40,000 ... while the Universal Probability Bound is only a relatively puny 10^150

No, the CFSI required for life is on such a scale that the Universal Probability Bound rules out such 'accidents' ... even with all the matter in the Universe and all the supposed time since the supposed Big Bang.

It is possible that a 'very smart being' could create a Universe where CFSI is spontaneously generated ... but our Universe shows no such abilities ... in all cases CFSI is observed to be degraded/destroyed by non-intelligently directed changes to it ... and where the author is identified, it is without exception intelligent.

Do you have any evidence that this CFSI is a thing? I don't mean mathematical theories bastardised to fit the idea either, I mean actual proof that it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

hi JC,I love the universal probability bound:p maybe you should google "a horse race to beat dembski"s universal probability bound"./ I do not know how to attach the link but it seems it is very easy to beat dumbski" very dodgy maths:D:D:D

kingchess wrote: »
    hi JC,I love the universal probability bound:p maybe you should google "a horse race to beat dembski"s universal probability bound"./ I do not know how to attach the link but it seems it is very easy to beat dumbski" very dodgy maths:D:D:D

http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/paper/ev/horserace.html <- that the link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im actually offended he didn't respond to my post. damn

Overheal wrote: »
    im actually offended he didn't respond to my post. damn

I wouldn't, that probably means it makes sense and he has no answer for it :pac:

There is nothing 'dodgy' about the maths.:D:D:D
    Quote:-
    (Dr.) Dembski's original value for the universal probability bound is 1 in 10^150, derived as the inverse of the product of the following approximate quantities:

10^80, the number of elementary particles in the observable universe.
    10^45, the maximum rate per second at which transitions in physical states can occur (i.e., the inverse of the Planck time).
    10^25, a billion times longer than the typical estimated age of the universe in seconds.
    Thus, 10^150 = 10^80 × 10^45 × 10^25. Hence, this value corresponds to an upper limit on the number of physical events that could possibly have occurred since the big bang.

I think logic and JC do not go together,

There is nothing 'dodgy' about the maths.:D:D:D
    (Dr.) Dembski's original value for the universal probability bound is 1 in 10^150, derived as the inverse of the product of the following approximate quantities:

10^80, the number of elementary particles in the observable universe.
    10^45, the maximum rate per second at which transitions in physical states can occur (i.e., the inverse of the Planck time).
    10^25, a billion times longer than the typical estimated age of the universe in seconds.
    Thus, 10^150 = 10^80 × 10^45 × 10^25. Hence, this value corresponds to an upper limit on the number of physical events that could possibly have occurred since the big bang.

Sorry, but that is complete and utter nonsense.

• Advertisement

SW wrote: »

yes thats the link.take a good read of it J C.tell us what you think:D

Sorry, but that is complete and utter nonsense.
    Why?

Why?

1) Can you find a source other than Dembski verifying that number of elementary particles?
    2) Even you state this is only the observable universe
    3) It seems like a gross oversimplification to me - maybe someone with more knowledge of physics can correct me on that one though.

I wouldn't, that probably means it makes sense and he has no answer for it :pac:

That seems to be the case. I have to conclude that I've won the thread.

because jc I value your opinion,a person with such a-how shall I put it- Bibical knowledge of the world???

yes thats the link.take a good read of it J C.tell us what you think:D
    My answers in blue below.
    The multiplication rule does not apply to biological evolution. A common error in the non-scientific literature and poorly written papers is to assume that probabilities multiply for computing components of living things such as proteins. Not an error - and the multiplication rule applies to sequential phenomena in Biology, just like all other sequential phenomena.
    A typical argument notes that proteins are about 300 amino acids long and that there are 20 different kinds of amino acids. If such a string were to be generated using independent selection of the amino acids, then the probability of generating any particular string is 20-300, a very small number indeed.
    Correct.

While this may be true for random strings, it does not directly apply to proteins found in living organisms. It does, unless there is intelligent intervention.
    Why? Because individual mutations accumulate one-at-a-time and there is amplification (replication) between steps. That is, if one starts with a given amino acid string, the mutations in the genome (from which the string is derived) are sequential. A mutation occurs, perhaps changing the amino acid string. If the change is bad, which is true for the majority of changes, the organism dies and its genes are gone. Most cases result in debility rather than death ... thus resulting in a build-up of deleterious mutations within the population.

(In diploids, recessive defects will be removed more slowly since they are only exposed when an organism becomes homozygous for the mutation.) This causes further build-up of deleterious and lethal mutations within the genome, 'hiding' in a hetrozygous state.

If a rare lucky change occurs that has some advantage (or at best is neutral or only slightly deleterious) then the organism may survive to produce offspring. head of Tyrannosaurus Rex The possibility of appearance and acceptance (by natural selection processes) of mutations in the offspring therefore depends strongly on whether the previous generation survived and on the number of progeny. The organism may or may not survive (due to other items in it's 'mutation load') ... but, in any event, while a single change to a critical functional sequence can result in a lethal or semi-lethal condition ... a single change in the direction of an advantageous trait will have no phenotype effect until all of the sequence is present and integrated with all other systems required to generate the effect.
    ... so while NS can 'weed-out' deleterious traits ... it is powerless to generate useful traits de novo, because it cannot identify intermediate sequences 'moving towards' a useful functional sequence ... because this isn't expressed (and therefore selectable) until the entire functional sequence is present.

Genetic algorithm experiments, such as the Ev evolution program demonstrate clearly that the probability of generating what would be an extremely rare genetic string if the steps were independent, can be high. So the evolution of a 300 amino acid protein is reasonably easy to attain.They demonstrate no such thing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

... have you anything else nasty you can think up to lie about me?

one man's meat is indeed another man's poison ... and you have proven the rule by claiming that Creation Science evidence is 'poisonous' for Evolution.

No, you misunderstand. Creation science, and I use that term most reservedly, is poisonous for humanity.

MrP

1) Can you find a source other than Dembski verifying that number of elementary particles?
    2) Even you state this is only the observable universe
    3) It seems like a gross oversimplification to me - maybe someone with more knowledge of physics can correct me on that one though.
    The number of elementary particles in the Universe are accepted across science ... at somewhere between 10^80 and 10^90 ... see the second last number in the table in the following link.
    http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/numbers.html

Planks time is also confirmed (at c. 10^-45) in the first section of the table

MrPudding wrote: »
    No, you misunderstand. Creation science, and I use that term most reservedly, is poisonous for humanity.

MrP
    ... I could equally say that something like M2M Evolution, which is untrue, is 'poisonous for humanity' ... but it would be just as big a fallacy as your assertion about Creation Science ... both are objectively verifiable / falsifiable and thus neither are 'poisonous' just deserving of careful evaluation.

The number of elementary particles in the Universe are accepted across science ... at somewhere around 10^80 ... see the second last number in the table in the following link.

and some reading for you from the same site since you seem to approve of the information it provides; http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_life.html

• Advertisement

If everyone else just adopts my position on the thread he'll have nothing to talk about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The number of elementary particles in the Universe are accepted across science ... at somewhere between 10^80 and 10^90 ... see the second last number in the table in the following link.

Seeing as you believe that that site is so wrong about the age of the universe, surely they must be wrong about the number of particles too? Like wildly wrong.

I wouldn't trust those sciency websites. Full of facts.

SW wrote: »
    and some reading for you from the same site since you seem to approve of the information it provides; http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_life.html
    I chose this site to answer Dr Jimbob asking for 'a source other than Dembski verifying (the) number of elementary particles'.
    It is a conventional science i.e. Evolutionist, site.
    There would be no point in citing a Creation Science site as Dr Jimbob would reject that as an answer to his question, because he clearly wanted a conventional science estimate for the number of elementary particles.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Seeing as you believe that that site is so wrong about the age of the universe, surely they must be wrong about the number of particles too? Like wildly wrong.

I wouldn't trust those sciency websites. Full of facts.
    They are indeed full of useful facts ... many denying their most treasured theory that they are Pondkind with selected mistakes and added time.:)

I chose this site to answer Dr Jimbobs asking for 'a source other than Dembski verifying that number of elementary particles'.
    There would be no point in citing a Creation Science site as Dr Jimbob would reject that as an answer to his question, because he clearly wanted a conventional science estimate for the number of elementary particles.

Well, credit for at least backing up your claims from a conventional source. I'm still not convinced that it actually means anything in terms of damaging evolutionary theory though.

Overheal wrote: »
    If everyone else just adopts my position on the thread he'll have nothing to talk about :D
    When your worldview has been proven to be invalid in one short post ... I guess that is one possible reaction.:)

Well, credit for at least backing up your claims from a conventional source. I'm still not convinced that it actually means anything in terms of damaging evolutionary theory though.
    You're right to be skeptical ... that was my initial reaction also.

... but try as I might, I couldn't find any mathematical, factual or logical flaw in it.

... I could equally say that something like M2M Evolution, which is untrue, is 'poisonous for humanity' ... but it would be just as big a fallacy as your assertion about Creation Science ... both are objectively verifiable / falsifiable and thus neither are 'poisonous' just deserving of careful evaluation.

Poisonous for humanity is probably a bit far all right. Poisonous to scientific advancement on the other hand would be a reasonable claim. Any time spent refuting erroneous claims is wasted when it could be spent on increasing our knowledge.

I'm not saying creation should be outlawed or anything of the sort though, it should be simply kept to where it belongs - a church, or a religion classroom. Trying to force it into science curricula is objectionably for exactly the same reasons as a scientist butting into a church sermon and saying 'well actually it didn't happen this way' are. It's not the right place.

Apologies for typos or inane rambling - alcohol has been consumed.

I chose this site to answer Dr Jimbobs asking for 'a source other than Dembski verifying that number of elementary particles'.

So you're citing a number that you believe is wrong?

• Advertisement

You're right to be skeptical ... that was my initial reaction also.

... but try as I might, I couldn't find any mathematical, factual or logical flaw in it.

It might be my lack of physics knowledge, but I just don't understand how these numbers put any constraint on any evolutionary claims.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement