Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three phone service?

Options
  • 09-10-2014 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone else in charlesland find their phone service appalling with three? I'm sick of it now, alot of the time I'm at home it is saying no service, I'm in a contract but if it's ongoing problems can I get out of it? I never had problems with Vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

girl24 wrote: »
    Anyone else in charlesland find their phone service appalling with three? I'm sick of it now, alot of the time I'm at home it is saying no service, I'm in a contract but if it's ongoing problems can I get out of it? I never had problems with Vodafone.

For the last couple of weeks my three phone says no servive most of the time when i am at home. Thinknit might be some sort of logging error though as if i switch to airplane mode then back it finds a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Jimjay wrote: »
    For the last couple of weeks my three phone says no servive most of the time when i am at home. Thinknit might be some sort of logging error though as if i switch to airplane mode then back it finds a service.

Thanks, just tried the airplane mode thing and it found a signal! Still going to follow up with three though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

girl24 wrote: »
    Thanks, just tried the airplane mode thing and it found a signal! Still going to follow up with three though.
    the "airplane mode thing" basically deregister's your phone from the network ie it puts it off line and when you attempt to go back onto the network your phone does a location update to the nearest base station , in your case the nearest "3" one. i would think if your phone is acting this way its a network issue not a phone problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have no problem with mine. Haven't got full signal but enough to make and receive calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'm having the same issue on and off recently with 3. Kilcoole area. Was rebooting but the airplane mode thing works great. Still not happy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Am I correct in assuming people who are having problems are using iPhones?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

@Jimjay
    Samsung user here. The same problems bother me. Around Charlesland/Seabourne I can forget about decent speeds or proper signal. In house its even worse, compared to my wifes Vodafone I feel like using the old line in 80's.
    I have upgrade in December, im thinking really hard is it worth to stay...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Ah so it isn't just me! I'm using an iphone and the airplane mode does help but only just.

I followed up with three and they have a track on my phone for the next 3/4 days told me to use the phone as much as possible and browse the internet etc.. I laughed and said the internet will not work!
    After the call that evening at home it got better before I even tried - had a 3g signal but then it quickly dropped to E and internet was slow.

Will be onto them on Monday so will let you know what is happening but I'll inform them more people in charlesland are having this problem.
    If you look at the Three web site coverage for 4G it doesn't include a portion of charlesland - http://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/
    There's got to be something different with the mast's down in the charlesland wood area or maybe it's to do with the O2 take over.

I would say that 3 have few more gaps around Wicklow/Greystones, like mountains area or N11.
    I'm with them for last couple of years, few different phones and still the result is the same.
    It looks that it is time to change to other network, the only problem is that 3 have quite good offer
    for me, only other which could work would be maybe Tesco, but for that I would need to get their
    sim to check signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

It's a nightmare, I work in Charlesland and we can only ever get 3G up in the canteen or outside the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I had those problems the whole time I was on 3 in 2011-13. I switched to Vodafone 18 months ago. It's more expensive but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I'm not a big fan of Three, and I'm not on their network but I did come across this app provided by Three via Engadget a while back - I've never tried it (and I'm not even sure if it works in Ireland) but it may be of use to some you with problems, or may be of help in the future if it's not available here yet.

It uses your wifi to make calls and receive texts when connected.

Three inTouch
    Android App
    iphone App

I had those problems the whole time I was on 3 in 2011-13. I switched to Vodafone 18 months ago. It's more expensive but it works.
    Vodafone could be an option if they didn't had such a bad data bundles.
    The basic plan with additional 5GB is around 55€. Even with the issues I prefer to stay with 3 and my 15GB for 40€.
    gavinjc wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Three, and I'm not on their network but I did come across this app provided by Three via Engadget a while back - I've never tried it (and I'm not even sure if it works in Ireland) but it may be of use to some you with problems, or may be of help in the future if it's not available here yet.

It uses your wifi to make calls and receive texts when connected.

Three inTouch
    Android App
    iphone App

In my honest opinion, if You look for some app like that Viber is a much better choice. It does have quite big amount of ppl in Ireland using it. Plus there's a PC version as well, which comes handy a lot of times.
    Works well with 3G/WiFi and it isn't limited to to 3 customers nor Ireland.
    "Isnt supported on rooted devices" another nail in coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I'd agree with you Re: Viber/Whatsapp etc. for communicating. But if it's phone service they want (like the subject line), then that's what this is for - ye know. If your phone service is your only source of internet at home though, then of course this is no help.

Advertisement