Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Dwelling Security

Options
  • 09-10-2014 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for some idea's, I have a work shed which is about 100 meters from my home house, I have broadband etc in the house but nothing in the shed. There is full power etc at the shed but no telephone line or broadband installed.

I am having issue with people around the shed when I am not there or in the middle of the night. I was looking at installing CCTV so I can keep an eye on it.

I currently have in house and even use one for baby monitor( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006P7N2UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Really handy app which means I can view anywhere in world but also move the camera around but of course this is all based on wireless network.

Was wondering is there an option to put in monitored CCTV camera into shed? I was thinking of running a network cable from house up to shed and then hooking up to wireless router. Would that work?

Any other idea's? I will put movement triggers on the camera's so it will just start recording etc when there is movement

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Looking for some idea's, I have a work shed which is about 100 meters from my home house, I have broadband etc in the house but nothing in the shed. There is full power etc at the shed but no telephone line or broadband installed.

I am having issue with people around the shed when I am not there or in the middle of the night. I was looking at installing CCTV so I can keep an eye on it.

I currently have in house and even use one for baby monitor( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006P7N2UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Really handy app which means I can view anywhere in world but also move the camera around but of course this is all based on wireless network.

Was wondering is there an option to put in monitored CCTV camera into shed? I was thinking of running a network cable from house up to shed and then hooking up to wireless router. Would that work?

Any other idea's? I will put movement triggers on the camera's so it will just start recording etc when there is movement

Thanks

If you use a DVR then the cameras can be set up for motion detection so only record when they see movement. If the cameras are outside then environment changes will also have them recording. I would suggest having them recording all the time depending on storage on the system you use. The likes of hikvision is what I would advise. This can also be viewed remotely on your smartphone once you have an internet connection.

What I would say to you is if you are running a cable for the internet to the shed a better option would be to run the cables for the cameras instead. This would be more secure as if the shed was broken into the DVR could easily be taken. Power for the cameras can come from the shed too.

Price wise you would need to contact local suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭valderrama1

Do you have power in the shed? If you do you could use an ethernet plug/homeplug and get network access that way in the shed.
    Plug the homeplug into a socket in the house and connect an ethernet cable to it, then in the shed plug in another homeplug and you have an ethernet port there.

Another option which is a bit more expensive, is to buy a NAS. A good one would be 200 or 300 euros. That could get the video over the network and store it. Look for a Synology NAS on amazon, they are very good and compatible out of the box with lots of cameras. You can get some that already have a hard drive, that would be minimum set up (some of them come without hard drive so you have to add it which is fiddly if you're not familiar with it).
    You could have the NAS in the house. Even if the scumbags broke your camera the video would still be on your hard drive locked away.

Or another option is to get a camera that will send you a clip of video via email when the motion detection is activated. But you wouldn't be storing all the video and you'd have to be sure of getting the email if they got at the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Do you have power in the shed? If you do you could use an ethernet plug/homeplug and get network access that way in the shed.
    Plug the homeplug into a socket in the house and connect an ethernet cable to it, then in the shed plug in another homeplug and you have an ethernet port there.

Would the power not have to be on same circuit or something? I thought you could only use them in house?

I was looking at wifi extender, most of them say over 300meter, but would they extend to external shed type range?

Another option which is a bit more expensive, is to buy a NAS. A good one would be 200 or 300 euros. That could get the video over the network and store it. Look for a Synology NAS on amazon, they are very good and compatible out of the box with lots of cameras. You can get some that already have a hard drive, that would be minimum set up (some of them come without hard drive so you have to add it which is fiddly if you're not familiar with it).
    You could have the NAS in the house. Even if the scumbags broke your camera the video would still be on your hard drive locked away.

Or another option is to get a camera that will send you a clip of video via email when the motion detection is activated. But you wouldn't be storing all the video and you'd have to be sure of getting the email if they got at the camera.

Yes the plan would be to have a NAS running in the house to store the video, the main issue I have is to try and get the video feed from the shed to the house.....the 100 meter distance and what is best way, e.g. running a cable? using wifi extender? any other options?

I have thought about DVR in shed but would like to get an alert as well which is why I wanted to connect to network....

• Advertisement

Well the homeplug is ideal for that because it will give you an ethernet port out in the shed and the connection will be over the power circuit of the house & shed so you won't need to worry about the wifi range. They're only 20 quid or so for a pair if you get them online (or better still borrow a pair to try them out).
    The only problem with homeplugs is that you need to be careful which circuit they're plugged into because if it has to cross into a different plug circuit it can slow it down a lot. E.g. plugging one into a four way extension cord doesn't work too well.

Update: sorry missed your post about different circuits in house and shed. Not 100% sure it would work then.
    A wireless N router has a pretty decent range (over 100m anyway) outdoor. So if you could put your router in a line of sight to the camera, it could work ok? Also worth trying assuming you have a wireless N router. You can get them fairly cheaply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

380 TVL.
    Love also the way the highlights are different from the actual spec.
    100M transmission distance in open area.
    Range of cameras from recorder is 15m without interference.

Dont waste your money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Absolutely woeful.
    When it comes to stuff like this for security. You really do get what you pay for. Don't waste your money would be my advice as well.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Have decided the wireless network is going to be a waste of time. Don't think the distance will help and the current BB connection as in the country is poor to say the least.

Probably looking at 2-4 camera's and then putting in DVR into the shed. Is there an option if you put a cheap PAYG sim into the unit it can text to alert?

Any idea's of what or who would be good to have a chat to install? i was going to go wireless to save on wires but I guess from my little research I will have to run power anyway to each camera so could run cables as well.....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The only problem with homeplugs is that you need to be careful which circuit they're plugged into because if it has to cross into a different plug circuit it can slow it down a lot. E.g. plugging one into a four way extension cord doesn't work too well.

Each socket on a 4-way extension will be on the same circuit, so it will work fine unless the extension lead is filtered.

Hi guys

Just wondering on this, kind of left it as I thought I would be running power cables. I found the following and wondering would this work? so I run network cable to each camera and run power over it. I would then stick DVR and just record everything onto it.....would it work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0044LFO70/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_it_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda&dra_hfr=1&dra_ohs=0-0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wouldn't be my recommendation.
    If you want to wire that way go with a basic IP system.
    Like this
    http://www.icrealtime.ie/downloads/BREEZE-C-04P.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Hi Guys

Have decided the wireless network is going to be a waste of time. Don't think the distance will help and the current BB connection as in the country is poor to say the least.

Probably looking at 2-4 camera's and then putting in DVR into the shed. Is there an option if you put a cheap PAYG sim into the unit it can text to alert?

Any idea's of what or who would be good to have a chat to install? i was going to go wireless to save on wires but I guess from my little research I will have to run power anyway to each camera so could run cables as well.....

Thanks

The best option for you would be to set up a wireless link to the shed and run an Ethernet network in the shed.
    You'd need something like a pair of these www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WA5210G one on the shed and the other connected to the network in the house. Cheap ip cameras such as escams do an email alert on motion detection and there are plenty of email to SMS services online.

If installing yourself it's about €250 to get set up with one camera and an additional €40 for each cheap IP camera. The cheapest solution for recording is to use your PC but the most basic recording equipment will set you back another €60-100

Hey

I know I am pulling this back up

Was buying one of these as a baby camera: http://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_152784.html

Just wondering if I put in SD memory card will this work? just set it up to record on movement?

Anyone try this before? Thanks

Advertisement