Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting fly fishing any tips?

• 09-10-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm getting a fly rod for Christmas. Then I will be setting out to learn as my dad knows how to fly fish so he can teach me. Do u have any tips for me to start. Thanks.

Always tight lines!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Its all in the wrist!!!not your arm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Practice in the garden or a park for a few weeks before hitting the river. Join a club. Find out what flies are working in your locality. Be patient as it takes time to master fly fishing, as there is more to it than casting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

For casting, focus on presentation not distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

djflawless wrote: »
    Its all in the wrist!!!not your arm!

Yes But whatever you do don't bend your wrist. Keep wrist straight. You'll know when the line falls on your head that you bent your wrist.
    Also it's not all about distance. Concentrate on presentation first.
    I learned by practising in a field first.
    Then down the line you'll learn of long cast, short cast , roll cast and flick cast which is a gift to know on small streams.
    Should also keep an eye on months and flies that'll be present during different months.
    Best of luck man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd also say presentation is key. Casting with your arm, wrist or big toe become irrelevant if you can land the fly where you want as softly as you want. A couple of the best fly anglers I know have unorthodox casting methods but the trout don't seem to mind that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'd also say presentation is key. Casting with your arm, wrist or big toe become irrelevant if you can land the fly where you want as softly as you want. A couple of the best fly anglers I know have unorthodox casting methods but the trout don't seem to mind that ;)

I personally cast with both arm and wrist but that all came after years of fishing the fly. Starting out I used to get cramp in me hand trying to keep my wrist straight but after time it just flowed

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

SeaFields wrote: »

Absolutely, there is far too much nonsense peddled about fly casting. It is not difficult. Go and learn and develop your own personal style. I can never understand the appeal of the casting competitions and all this stuff about casting 200 yards of line. I mean so what, that really has nothing to do with angling.
    Casting, whichever way you do it, is a means to present a fly correctly to a fish, nothing less nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I'm not going to fly fish I am getting a good beachcaster kit with stand and everything and fish for beach species on my good local beach. Thanks everybody for your help:)

Advertisement