Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extract brew...without the extract?

Options
  • 09-10-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Its been a long time gone,but i still lament the passing of beamish red, so ive been trying as best i can to make my own substitute. Best ive managed is a patrial mash/extract of Geordie bitters extract and hobble wobble grain kit, close but still not quite right.

Anywho, on searching for more recipies i stumbled upon this : http://brewerschoice.com.au/beamish-red-clone/

Am i missing something here in that they have no actual extract kit, just a feckload of malt extract- 3Kg worth, and hops. No grain or grain extract. Doesn't seem right to me but im fairly new to all this.

So is this something i could work with to rise my old favourite from the dead or a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

What do you mean by grain extract?

Malt extract = grain extract. No?

You're right saying that there is no actual grain being used, but the amber malt extract and the dark malt extract will give you the colour and malt flavours of a red ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

To be honest ive never thought about what is in the extract kits, i always assumed tho that they'd have a mix of barley and wheat or some sort of grain, in addition to malt. Didnt realise that just malt extract on its own would do the trick - you reckon there is enough in what they have listed ie i dont need anything else? Id give that a go if so

Edit - D'oh i just read up on what malt is...yeah so basically i had a completely different idea of what it was for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

I doubt Williamette was used in making Beamish red, since thats a US hop.
    Just had a quick look there, Ultra brew is what theyre using to give you the same mouthy feel and flavours as would get from specialty grains.
    Maybe there is a better clone recipe out there for this beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

neoanto wrote: »
    Just had a quick look there, Ultra brew is what theyre using to give you the same mouthy feel and flavours as would get from specialty grains.

Its a member of the fuggle family, which where common in Irish brewing. But anything non citrus to get the IBU's will do

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

neoanto wrote: »

Well I'll find out in a couple months, I've ordered all the bits and pieces based on it (except for the ultra brew, couldn't find anything similar here so I'm going to just use coopers brew enhancer instead).

Will let you know how it turns out

• Advertisement
Advertisement