Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering First Year

Options
  • 09-10-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am not really sure whether this sounds as a good plan or not but I was thinking to drop out from engineering after Christmas if i got the exams badly but then repeat it next September(most likely not in this university as the points will go up again)
    after when I will teach myself physics and applied maths(it doesn't look that difficult I just only need time to understand it).I really like the course but I find it really difficult to catch up with those subjects as I didn't do them on the leaving cert.Could anyone tell me ,would that work out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sounds like a god awful idea to me. It's early October, just work hard between now and Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Get a mentor or something to guide you through it 1on1, that is what I plan on doing if I get into 3rd level. Definitely I will need some help on a Thesis.

You may only get one shot at Uni, go down fighting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I am not really sure whether this sounds as a good plan or not but I was thinking to drop out from engineering after Christmas if i got the exams badly but then repeat it next September(most likely not in this university as the points will go up again)
    after when I will teach myself physics and applied maths(it doesn't look that difficult I just only need time to understand it).I really like the course but I find it really difficult to catch up with those subjects as I didn't do them on the leaving cert.Could anyone tell me ,would that work out?

I did Engineering in UCD and I went in with Physics, Chemistry and Applied Maths. Eventually ended up graduating with a Masters in Electronics & Computers, but I hated circuits and couldn't stand Mechanics. Ugh :(

All the courses are designed in first year to prep you. They literally assume you have a brain and nothing else. They are 'from the ground up' If you are struggling, my honest suggestion would be to either rethink your study plan and get some tutoring, and if you still feel overwhelmed then perhaps Engineering is not for you. I don't mean that in a mean spirited way but it only gets harder and you need to know that getting in. The hardest years in Engineering is year 1 and 2. After that, you are settled and generally get to do things you enjoy as opposed to 'have to' do.

Certainly dropping out, repeating and re-applying is not the answer. There is no advantage in studying the leaving cert courses as the first 1.5 years of Engineering in Physics, Maths and Chemistry are literally just the Leaving Cert again. You certainly will not be able to teach yourself the physics or applied math courses if you are struggling with level 1 college modules. It would be more advantageous to study the LC books in your spare time and apply the sections to your college course work. I often referenced mine in first and second year.

My advice is to identify your weak spots, ask for help from appropriate class mates / tutors and work your ass off in the areas you are weakest in. Like I said, I was useless at mechanics and had to do some modules in it. Was touch and go in places, but with a little application you can get by :)

Advertisement