Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Oxygen

Options
  • 09-10-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but does anyone know if it is possible to buy medical oxygen cylinder in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

muddy01 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but does anyone know if it is possible to buy medical oxygen cylinder in Ireland?

Sure - contact BOC in relation to it. Plenty of people use the service who are dependent on oxygen at home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

As far as I know, BOC will charge rent on the cylinder (i think its 50e per year for a CD size) and then charge for a refill. Its not too expensive, but I guess it depends on how much O2 you are using!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

As far as I know, BOC will charge rent on the cylinder (i think its 50e per year for a CD size) and then charge for a refill. Its not too expensive, but I guess it depends on how much O2 you are using!

Yes they do

• Registered Users Posts: 2 muddy01

thanks guys. this is not for someone who is dependant on oxygen it is for a family member who has history of heart problems and lives in a very remote area. if i was to buy a D-size cylinder empty would BOC fill it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

thanks guys. this is not for someone who is dependant on oxygen it is for a family member who has history of heart problems and lives in a very remote area. if i was to buy a D-size cylinder empty would BOC fill it for me?

You will need to rent one of their cylinders for security and integrity reasons, they will not handle cylinders they do not own. Nor do they sell cylinders, even for training purposes. You should give BOC a phone call though to make 100% sure. Let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I believe you will also need a prescription for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stretch00

Hiya,

Not sure of your background, so please bear with me. Supplemental Oxygen may not be at all useful, and is frequently harmful in cardiac conditions, sometimes it will worsen the situation, sometimes it allows symptoms to be masked to the point that the patients tips beyond retrieval. Basically what I am saying is have the patient speak to their GP, I find it difficult to believe that having Oxygen available would be useful, but as I do not have details of their specific condition, I cannot be definitive, but their GP can, and will prescribe oxygen for their home if they deem it necessary.

Hope this is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Patients who need oxygen for the home or for walking around would need to have an account+prescription with BOC,As others have mentioned the likes of BOC/Air Products Calor Gas etc do not sell cylinders but rent them to customers.
    This is how the companies make their money and only fill their own cylinders with every single cylinder having an expiry date and re test date.

Advertisement