Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a new power socket

Options
  • 09-10-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'd like to add a new surface socket to the living room in my house. This will involve a spur off an existing socket circuit using a junction box in the attic, and running the cable down to the new surface socket in some conduit .

Any one have any tips for locating an existing socket circuit in the attic ? What kind of conduit should I use? Is the square plastic stuff with the clip on face sufficient down a wall to a surface socket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Are you going to do it yourself? I put 3 extra double sockets in a bedroom a few weeks back I had to bring an extra cable to the fuse board and the electrician wired it up. The square conduit will do but if you aren't sure of what you are doing get an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dnme wrote: »
    I'd like to add a new surface socket to the living room in my house. This will involve a spur off an existing socket circuit using a junction box in the attic, and running the cable down to the new surface socket in some conduit .

Any one have any tips for locating an existing socket circuit in the attic ? What kind of conduit should I use? Is the square plastic stuff with the clip on face sufficient down a wall to a surface socket?

Best tip I can give you is to get an electrician to do it. If you're not sure how to locate an existing circuit then you probably shouldn't touch any cabling. Junction boxes in an attic are a bad idea but junction boxes in an attic not done by an electrician are a fire hazard. Surface conduit in a living room is almost as ugly as drilling a hole in the ceiling and running an extension lead through it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Your question was , I understand, how to locate a power outlet in an attic.

Generally, power outlets are not , I think, installed in attics.

I suggest that perhaps you may consider looking for a power circuit below the attic level.

Advertisement