Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    So, say if I want to have two eggs a day for breakfast, 7 days a week. Thats healthy?

I eat scrambled eggs made with butter every day for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well look at aesthetics a lot would eat eggs for breakfast...

What have looks got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

While it has been established that eggs contain cholesterol, it has not yet been proven conclusively that they actually raise the level of serum cholesterol in the human blood stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Eggs are one of the best things you can eat. Bread is one of the tastiest things you can eat. Eggs and bread.

It's hilarious the way people go on (usually just online) about bread as if it's poison. Seriously in fashion.

It IS healthier to limit bread consumption, but a slice here and there of brown bread is hardly poison ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

seamus wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with eggs. They're a good source of everything.
    Especially egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Especially egg.

Eggactly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The only forum which is weirder than AH is Nutrition and Diet. Over there bread is poison.
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.

On that point and it is just MHO, I reckon one's personal gut biodiversity is a biggie in how you deal with food. EG I can go for weeks just consuming animal products, fish, eggs, cow, turkey, duck etc and feel great on that diet. An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are) and was gobsmacked at this setup. She was even more gobsmacked when she saw the results of a blood test I had at the time(for an unconnected reason), that showed the usual markers for good health to be high. Oh and I was as "regular" as clockwork with it. On the other hand I once went pure veggie for six months and my system/guts/energy level took a serious nosedive. And I was bound up to fook with it. Roughage my arse, or not as the case was...:o:D

Like I say I reckon my gut biomass had gotten settled in with a more protien/meat based diet and going veggie had all my bacteria going "WTF is monkey boy feeding us here, the prick". :D

Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").

Another example would be alcohol. Europeans, middle easterners and others in that general area have adaptations to metabolise the stuff. They basically invented it and did so at least 6,000 years ago. It came to parts of the rest of the world much later, so they have real difficulties with it. Many East Asian folks have bad reactions to a couple of drinks, Native Americans and Australians can have disastrous reactions from the stuff.

In the last 10,000 years humans and their genomes have changed more than in the previous 80,000 years and much of those changes were down to dietary adaptations. Another reason why the "Paleo" diet is a complete fcuking nonsense.

TL;DR? IMHO Avoid proteins that are novel to your genotype and be aware of your personal gut biome and take it from there. No one size fits all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

William Li presents a new way to think about treating cancer and other diseases: anti-angiogenesis, preventing the growth of blood vessels that feed a tumor.

This is done through diet.

This is well worth the 20 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Birneybau wrote: »
    What have looks got to do with it?

Bodybuilders/Aesthetics would be very healthy... They wouldn't eat high fat foods etc. They'd easily eat 5 Eggs for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

fullstop wrote: »
    It's becoming more widely accepted that dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as was previously thought, and there is also HDL cholesterol in eggs so to say they are full of bad cholesterol is certainly false.

One question: when they do a test for cholesterol, they add the HDL and the LDL together (plus triglyercides divided by 5)

I was eating 2 eggs a day for about 2 years and recently got checked for cholesterol. My diet would be healthy generally and I don't eat junk or biscuits etc. very often but my cholesterol was a little higher than it should've been yet my HDL and LDL and the tricoljkwhdjsd fellas were all within a healthy range on their own.

That confuses me; if HDL is healthy, how come it's added, not subtracted from the total cholesterol?

I've cut down on the eggs anyway and I'm back on the porridge with water as they're really the only cholesterol-y thing I eat regularly (and some cheese).

Confusing (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I second what a poster mentioned about margarine. Soft, spreadable butters are transfats. Real butter is a saturated fat, which the body actually utilises. Can be high in salt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,551 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah you would want to be some yoke to believe eggs are bad for you !:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

has anyone asked rosanna davison? since she got her degree in biomedicine and naturopathic nutrition she would obviously be the first port of call when i'm about to have a rasher sandwich..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

she would obviously be the first port of call when i'm about to have a rasher sandwich..

Never heard a **** called that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭893bet

Bodybuilders/Aesthetics would be very healthy... They wouldn't eat high fat foods etc. They'd easily eat 5 Eggs for breakfast.

They don't eat high fat foods lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"White bread is SOOOOO bad for you, SOOO fattening".

Erm, no it's not. It just won't fill some people up. It fills me up fine and I prefer it.
    Who doesn't like fresh soft white ham sandwiches/hot buttery toast?
    Who prefers dry woolly brown bread?!!!!!!

"Coke is so fattening." "I'll have a fat Coke".

There's NO FAT IN COKE. RIGHT?!

"I won't have a biscuit. I'm on a diet."
    Oh, so ONE biscuit is going to ruin your ENTIRE diet?
    Eating ONE dessert is going to make you gain a stone, is it?
    Fcuk off.

fussyonion wrote: »

Erm, no it's not. It just won't fill some people up. It fills me up fine and I prefer it.

Fcuk off.
    Coke is fattening though - it's full of sugar! Something doesn't have to contain chunks of lard to be fattening. :)
    White bread is high in calories too, but the odd helping of it is grand.
    Agreed on the biscuit/dessert thing - same people often horse into a rake of beers at the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If you have a high enough physical activity level (and a body type/hunger impulse thats normal) you can get away with eating a ton of food.
    People harp on that that its literally only about your diet but for example your a standard male and you've a high activity level day in day out you could probably take in the guts of 3200-3600 calories per day, thats physically a substantially amount food provided your not getting it by chowing down on bags of sugar.

Fcuk off.

White bread is sugary and made with refined white flour, which is high gi. Your blood sugar spikes and you crash. It's essentially junk food. Brown bread and wholegrain breads take longer to break down into glucose so you don't spike. You want to avoid spiking your blood sugars unless you're gonna go play a game of football or something. If not, you crash and the sugar craving kicks in. Don't get me started on the crap that's in coke! Remove the water and you're left with a thick sugary gunk of chemicals.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    White bread is sugary and made with refined white flour, which is high gi. Your blood sugar spikes and you crash. It's essentially junk food. Brown bread and wholegrain breads take longer to break down into glucose so you don't spike. You want to avoid spiking your blood sugars unless you're gonna go play a game of football or something

But I don't. I don't spike. I have a sandwich, I'm satisfied and then I'm fine all day :confused:

White bread is sugary and made with refined white flour, which is high gi. Your blood sugar spikes and you crash. It's essentially junk food. Brown bread and wholegrain breads take longer to break down into glucose so you don't spike. You want to avoid spiking your blood sugars unless you're gonna go play a game of football or something
    I reckon this depends on the person's body composition. It definitely applies to me, but doesn't seem to apply to everyone.
    I'd say it's particularly prevalent among women with a tendency towards "apple shape" (e.g. me).

Wibbs wrote: »
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.
    Between salt, yeast and carbs it's going to retain a lot of water and cause bloating. I cut it out because of the high carbs/calories in it and how much bread is easy to eat without any long-lasting satiety.
    An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are)
    None are. :pac:
    Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").
    Aye the "paleo" thing is annoying. The diet itself is pretty much fine but the "evidence" behind it is laughable. I can drink a litre of milk without it being an issue but about 10% of the time I have eggs I can't leave the house for a couple of hours. Guess I can blame one of my ancestors from 10kya for that. :pac:

But I don't. I don't spike. I have a sandwich, I'm satisfied and then I'm fine all day :confused:

Your poor pancreas is working overtime to lower your blood sugars.

Your poor pancreas is working overtime to lower your blood sugars.

Oh are you a nutritionist?

I reckon the majority of adults in this country ate white bread growing up, probably still do, and have no issues.
    It's just the "health brigade" who class it as high in sugar/high in fat/causes sugar crashes.

All poncey words to make other people feel more superior!
    My pancreas is just perfect, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Actually to say bodybuilders are healthy wouldn't exactly be true. Extreme diets putting a lot of pressure on organs and dehydrating yourself for days before competition is not that healthy. And that's before we talk about steroids

Oh are you a nutritionist?

I reckon the majority of adults in this country ate white bread growing up, probably still do, and have no issues.
    It's just the "health brigade" who class it as high in sugar/high in fat/causes sugar crashes.

All poncey words to make other people feel more superior!
    My pancreas is just perfect, thanks!!
    I'm a nutritionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Special K used to be sex-tastic until Plankton stole the secret formula

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You can feed an entire village for only €2 a month.

You can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,544 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The word "fattening" should never be used to describe a food. Technically, every food can be fattening. Eat a truckload of broccoli every day for a year and you will get fat. You'll be as regular as a swiss clock, but still fat.

Advertisement