Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

fullstop wrote: »
    It's becoming more widely accepted that dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as was previously thought, and there is also HDL cholesterol in eggs so to say they are full of bad cholesterol is certainly false.
    HDL is a carrier lipoprotein, not cholesterol. But eggs can raise overall cholesterol in one in four people, but it does raise HDL to boot so is therefore good
    Wibbs wrote: »
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.

On that point and it is just MHO, I reckon one's personal gut biodiversity is a biggie in how you deal with food. EG I can go for weeks just consuming animal products, fish, eggs, cow, turkey, duck etc and feel great on that diet. An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are) and was gobsmacked at this setup. She was even more gobsmacked when she saw the results of a blood test I had at the time(for an unconnected reason), that showed the usual markers for good health to be high. Oh and I was as "regular" as clockwork with it. On the other hand I once went pure veggie for six months and my system/guts/energy level took a serious nosedive. And I was bound up to fook with it. Roughage my arse, or not as the case was...:o:D

Like I say I reckon my gut biomass had gotten settled in with a more protien/meat based diet and going veggie had all my bacteria going "WTF is monkey boy feeding us here, the prick". :D

Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").

Another example would be alcohol. Europeans, middle easterners and others in that general area have adaptations to metabolise the stuff. They basically invented it and did so at least 6,000 years ago. It came to parts of the rest of the world much later, so they have real difficulties with it. Many East Asian folks have bad reactions to a couple of drinks, Native Americans and Australians can have disastrous reactions from the stuff.

In the last 10,000 years humans and their genomes have changed more than in the previous 80,000 years and much of those changes were down to dietary adaptations. Another reason why the "Paleo" diet is a complete fcuking nonsense.

TL;DR? IMHO Avoid proteins that are novel to your genotype and be aware of your personal gut biome and take it from there. No one size fits all.

Gut bacteria don't bother much with proteins, just any non-human digestible carbs, that's why after not eating bread for a while you'll find you don't digest it well, that's down to the fructans, not the gluten.

Sometimes you can retrain your gut bacteria by just persevering with a bit of gas for a time, or if you have IBS like me there's just always going to be foods you can't indulge in too often.

Regarding proteins and genotype, the longest place in the world to have wheat is the middle east, and they have shocking rates of coeliac. The asians eat soy, but they ferment it and eat it in small quantities and always with a source of iodine, to counteract the goitrogens. A far cry from using it as a wholesale protein substitute like the west does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The No. 1 food myth I hate is that fat content = fattening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

HDL is a carrier lipoprotein, not cholesterol. But eggs can raise overall cholesterol in one in four people, but it does raise HDL to boot so is therefore good

You sound like you know what you're talking about: why do they add HDL to LDL when calculating overall cholesterol?

You sound like you know what you're talking about: why do they add HDL to LDL when calculating overall cholesterol?

It's confusing because cholesterol is used interchangably with HDL and LDL, even in the medical literature. But because fat doesn't disolve in water your body uses proteins to transport cholesterol in the blood.

Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + VLDL in the blood.

In 99% of cases LDL is actually calculated, not directly measured (it's expensive to directly measure) from your Total, HDL and triglycerides (a different type of fat in the blood) using a formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cornflakes are lower in fat than Special K

You dont have to eat breakfast to "kick start" your metabolism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Portion sizes! People go crazy on portion sizes!

I decided to lose a few pounds a few months back (well, about 20 :o), so started watching calories and weighing food. I was shocked at how much I was shovelling into my mouth, thinking it was just a normal portion size! So much pasta :(

Also, I think everything in moderation is the key. Life's too short to worry about gluten and carbs and sugar and fat all the time. As long as you stick to eating as fresh and healthy as you can, as much as you can, there's absolutely no harm in indulging in 'bad' stuff every now and again. It would be a pretty miserable life without cheesecake in it.

Just watch the portion sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

KungPao wrote: »
    I've been thinking of leaping onto the bandwagon and giving gluten the heave-ho recently. I eat bread and drink beer and for the last good while, I just can't stop farting. They smell bad too.

From tomorrow, no more gluten and farewell flatulence!

It's actually the sugar not the gluten that has you farting like a trooper (or so I'm led to believe). If you were having gluten issues you'd more likely be constipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

murphm45 wrote: »
    It's actually the sugar not the gluten that has you farting like a trooper (or so I'm led to believe). If you were having gluten issues you'd more likely be constipated.

So much wrong in one post.

mikom wrote: »
    So much wrong in one post.

Fair enough but can you point out where I'm wrong then? Not much good to me telling me wrong without some sort of a steer as to what's right.

Fair enough but can you point out where I'm wrong then? Not much good to me telling me wrong without some sort of a steer as to what's right.

Adults with a gluten intolerance will be farting and blowing everything out the back end.
    Constipation due to a gluten intolerance usually only shows up in very young children.

Sources: My belly, my hole, and my doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I eat 45 eggs a week and feel fantastic.

Adults with a gluten intolerance will be farting and blowing everything out the back end.
    Constipation due to a gluten intolerance usually only shows up in very young children.

Hmmm interesting people have been busy lying to me so (telling me eating too much bread was what was making me constipated)! That's good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

FTA69 wrote: »
    That you Paul Newman?

Portion sizes! People go crazy on portion sizes!

I decided to lose a few pounds a few months back (well, about 20 :o), so started watching calories and weighing food. I was shocked at how much I was shovelling into my mouth, thinking it was just a normal portion size! So much pasta :(

Also, I think everything in moderation is the key. Life's too short to worry about gluten and carbs and sugar and fat all the time. As long as you stick to eating as fresh and healthy as you can, as much as you can, there's absolutely no harm in indulging in 'bad' stuff every now and again. It would be a pretty miserable life without cheesecake in it.

Just watch the portion sizes!

This is why going low-carb works so well for so many people, so many don't realise how much carbs they're eating. The crappy little boil-in-the-bag rice bags are 62.5g or 2.5 portions. And that's the issue with the food pyramid, the "portions" for carbs are laughably small so people not giving themselves a chance to overeat on the carbs side means cutting a huge amount of empty calories out.

Hmmm interesting people have been busy lying to me so (telling me eating too much bread was what was making me constipated)! That's good to know, thanks.

It could be making you constipated due to some other reason, but more than likely not because of the gluten.
    I would not be a fan of eating too much bread anyway especially that pure white sticky shite......... Cuisine de france baguettes and the like.

You sure you are taking on enough liquids each day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

That you Paul Newman?

Not in one sitting like. I eat 3 for breakfast and also 3 post training, seven days a week. Occasionally I'll have a few more if I'm peckish. Eggs are a great source of protein and good fats and are a great part of a healthy diet.

It could be making you constipated due to some other reason, but more than likely not because of the gluten.
    I would not be a fan of eating too much bread anyway especially that pure white sticky shite......... Cuisine de france baguettes and the like.

You sure you are taking on enough liquids each day?

To be fair it hasn't happened in a while and it would have eaten a lot to cause it (maybe two slides pans over three day for a week), but it could be something else in the bread or could have been a coincidence. I wouldn't have thought it was the liquids because I definitely get at least 2 litres a day now (most via black tea) but to be honest I can't say with confidence that I was when I was have 'problems'.

Thanks though. It always nice to learn something new particularly when it lets me eat more bread!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just going on my personal experience of it I'd agree. I've a rellie with a very strong case of coeliac disease and if they're exposed to gluten they'd be praying for constipation.
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Wibbs wrote: »
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.

On that point and it is just MHO, I reckon one's personal gut biodiversity is a biggie in how you deal with food. EG I can go for weeks just consuming animal products, fish, eggs, cow, turkey, duck etc and feel great on that diet. An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are) and was gobsmacked at this setup. She was even more gobsmacked when she saw the results of a blood test I had at the time(for an unconnected reason), that showed the usual markers for good health to be high. Oh and I was as "regular" as clockwork with it. On the other hand I once went pure veggie for six months and my system/guts/energy level took a serious nosedive. And I was bound up to fook with it. Roughage my arse, or not as the case was...:o:D

Like I say I reckon my gut biomass had gotten settled in with a more protien/meat based diet and going veggie had all my bacteria going "WTF is monkey boy feeding us here, the prick". :D

Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").

Another example would be alcohol. Europeans, middle easterners and others in that general area have adaptations to metabolise the stuff. They basically invented it and did so at least 6,000 years ago. It came to parts of the rest of the world much later, so they have real difficulties with it. Many East Asian folks have bad reactions to a couple of drinks, Native Americans and Australians can have disastrous reactions from the stuff.

In the last 10,000 years humans and their genomes have changed more than in the previous 80,000 years and much of those changes were down to dietary adaptations. Another reason why the "Paleo" diet is a complete fcuking nonsense.

TL;DR? IMHO Avoid proteins that are novel to your genotype and be aware of your personal gut biome and take it from there. No one size fits all.

I had to change my lifestyle radically,earlier this year,particularly diet, for heath reasons.

From your daily big Irish breakfast,take aways,smoking, and alcohol consumption...

to fruit,porridge,fish etc in one fell swoop.

After a month or two, started to get digestive problems,the probl worsened, v bad bouts of dioherria,dehydration,no energy.

Tried all he GP meds...no luck.

Then I thought about the sudden effect of the diet change on digestive system.

I cut down on fruit, fish, brown bread,and consumed more regular food.

Problem solved.

You,r advice makes good common sense.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought it was the liquids because I definitely get at least 2 litres a day now (most via black tea) but to be honest I can't say with confidence that I was when I was have 'problems'.

The tannins in black tea have an anti diarrheal effect, and can contribute to constipation.

Source: My ould lad and the scoury calves he doses with cold black tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bamboo is the most nutritious superfood.

The tannins in black tea have an anti diarrheal effect, and can contribute to constipation.

Ah here!!! Is nothing safe. Thanks, hopefully the weakness in the tea minimises the impact but one way or another it appears I can eat bread without needing to worry about constipation induced insomnia!

So is drinking black tea good or bad for us humans?

gladrags wrote: »
    So is drinking black tea good or bad for us humans?

Dunno, but if I was having problems squeezing one out I'd look to get my liquids from something other than black tea.
    Otherwise drink away with the black tea............. I love it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This is why going low-carb works so well for so many people, so many don't realise how much carbs they're eating. The crappy little boil-in-the-bag rice bags are 62.5g or 2.5 portions. And that's the issue with the food pyramid, the "portions" for carbs are laughably small so people not giving themselves a chance to overeat on the carbs side means cutting a huge amount of empty calories out.

Yes, carbs do seem to contain the most calories. The sheer amount of calories in pasta, rice, bread etc. was shocking to me and it's what you tend to bulk up on when eating a typical meal.

Saying that, I love my carbs. I couldn't imagine a life without bread, rice, pasta or potatoes in it, so going Atkins or similar just wouldn't work for me at all. I just have to watch my portions and stay within my daily limits.

Am I right in saying that protein and fats can actually keep you fuller for longer than carbs can (or am I completely wrong on that front??)

• Advertisement

Yes, carbs do seem to contain the most calories. The sheer amount of calories in pasta, rice, bread etc. was shocking to me and it's what you tend to bulk up on when eating a typical meal.

Saying that, I love my carbs. I couldn't imagine a life without bread, rice, pasta or potatoes in it, so going Atkins or similar just wouldn't work for me at all. I just have to watch my portions and stay within my daily limits.

Am I right in saying that protein and fats can actually keep you fuller for longer than carbs can (or am I completely wrong on that front??)
    Per gram they're not that high but it's the sheer quantity that most people can polish off that makes it an issue.

There's some stuff about how lot of carbs can cause insulin spikes and all this other stuff, leaving ya feeling hungry again within a short time. In my experience it does happen, how much of that's for physiological reasons I don't know. Even within a couple of days of going very low-carb I find my appetite pretty much gone and I just graze on cured meats and cheese. :P

But tea has caffeine which causes peristalsis in the bowels provoking a bowel movement. So it probably cancels it out.

But tea has caffeine which causes peristalsis in the bowels provoking a bowel movement. So it probably cancels it out.
    Dunno about humans, but the ould lad uses decaf teabags for dosing.
    The calves are cracked enough without being off their heads on caffeine........ if it even would affect them.

FTA69 wrote: »

No man can eat 45 eggs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I always find it fascinating looking at photos from around the first half of the twentieth century. It seems spots and blemishes on the face just did not exist. They had more active lifestyles in general but it can't be just that. Even people who's features wouldn't be what you necessarily call pretty or handsome looked very good by today's standards.

Interested to hear theories on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

No man can eat 45 eggs...

...in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

My favourite is the myth that some people still believe -

"Dont eat after 8pm at night"

Complete rubbish. As long as you dont go over your advised intake for the day - it doesnt matter what time you eat at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

delricyo wrote: »

Complete rubbish. As long as you dont go over your advised intake for the day - it doesnt matter what time you eat at.

Well it does. Depending on what you're eating, you're giving your body more work to do (producing insulin, secreting bile, absorbing nutrients, etc) when your body should be resting. The foods will be broken down into glucose, which will keep your brain and nerves more alert over the next few hours, again, depending on the food. Your digestive system is like a second brain, it's so complex. Just like your brain, you need to let it rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

I have a protein shake every morning (30g of Whey protein and 200 mls of skimmed milk, basically a small glass) with some peanuts and blueberries. It keeps me going till 1pm no problem at all, so yeah, protein is very filling, and way better for you than any carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

rawn wrote: »
    Well it does. Depending on what you're eating, you're giving your body more work to do (producing insulin, secreting bile, absorbing nutrients, etc) when your body should be resting. The foods will be broken down into glucose, which will keep your brain and nerves more alert over the next few hours, again, depending on the food. Your digestive system is like a second brain, it's so complex. Just like your brain, you need to let it rest!

That is true. But I think people believe that it will lead to weight gain vs the people who are finished their dinner before Eastenders starts :)
    If you are going to be up and awake anyway - there should be no effect on your weight.
    True, it might interrupt sleep if you have a full meal before nodding off. You said above that your mind will be awake. And also your digestive system - possibly leading to an interrupted sleep as your body breaks it down. But as for weight gain - calrories in vs calories out.

However, it has been proven that eating at night might lead to bad eating habits. Having that extra biscuit and piece of toast because you are feeling tired etc. But the main idea that calories after a certain time are worse than others - not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

delricyo wrote: »

What if you are mogwai?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I always find it fascinating looking at photos from around the first half of the twentieth century. It seems spots and blemishes on the face just did not exist. They had more active lifestyles in general but it can't be just that. Even people who's features wouldn't be what you necessarily call pretty or handsome looked very good by today's standards.

The film for the pictures was quite expensive, so they only used it taking pictures of things they'd like to see again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The film for the pictures was quite expensive, so they only used it taking pictures of things they'd like to see again.

Or cameras back in those old days had so few megapixels, you just can't see the blemishes.

Acne is very much a late 20th century phenomenon, and it's becoming more common.

If I had to guess at a hypothesis, probably the rise in seed oil consumption. Before 1960's seed oils were only used for industrial purposes, they were not part of the food chain in any serious way. Now look at the ingredients for everything, it all has 'sunflower oil' or 'vegetable oil' listed.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as just avoiding them because:
    a) they can take up to 5 years to get out of your system as they are stored in tissue
    b) If you are fed them from a young age they may be permenently embedded in some tissues.

Less selfies back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Acne is very much a late 20th century phenomenon, and it's becoming more common.

If I had to guess at a hypothesis, probably the rise in seed oil consumption. Before 1960's seed oils were only used for industrial purposes, they were not part of the food chain in any serious way. Now look at the ingredients for everything, it all has 'sunflower oil' or 'vegetable oil' listed.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as just avoiding them because:
    a) they can take up to 5 years to get out of your system as they are stored in tissue
    b) If you are fed them from a young age they may be permenently embedded in some tissues.
    How exactly do they get 'embedded in your tissues' seeing as how the oil is ingested and digested, rather than syringed directly into your skin? Acne is due to the over production of sebum in your skin, not oil in your diet. The production of sebum can be influenced by your diet but I know of no mechanism by which food travels directly to your cells.

kylith wrote: »
    How exactly do they get 'embedded in your tissues' seeing as how the oil is ingested and digested, rather than syringed directly into your skin? Acne is due to the over production of sebum in your skin, not oil in your diet. The production of sebum can be influenced by your diet but I know of no mechanism by which food travels directly to your cells.

The fats you eat end up being used by your cells, this is why transfats reek such havoc in your body. They get used like natural fats but disrupt normal cell signalling like crazy.

The fats you eat can influence everything from hormone signalling to cell metabolism.
    More info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1916101

Basically you are somewhat what you eat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

No way. Oysters are are probably the kings of nutrient density.

And apparently they give ya a fierce oul horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Whoever said we know very little about Nutrition few pages back had it right.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I have a protein shake every morning (30g of Whey protein and 200 mls of skimmed milk, basically a small glass) with some peanuts and blueberries. It keeps me going till 1pm no problem at all, so yeah, protein is very filling, and way better for you than any carb.

Is that your breakfast or would you have some oats or a cereal too?

It's confusing because cholesterol is used interchangably with HDL and LDL, even in the medical literature. But because fat doesn't disolve in water your body uses proteins to transport cholesterol in the blood.

Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + VLDL in the blood.

In 99% of cases LDL is actually calculated, not directly measured (it's expensive to directly measure) from your Total, HDL and triglycerides (a different type of fat in the blood) using a formula.

Still not any the wiser tbh.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

KungPao wrote: »
    I've been thinking of leaping onto the bandwagon and giving gluten the heave-ho recently. I eat bread and drink beer and for the last good while, I just can't stop farting. They smell bad too.

From tomorrow, no more gluten and farewell flatulence!

Bah. That's why I eat gluten and drink beer. Its dinner and a show.

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Ice cream, although incredibly delicious, is also one of the easiest ways to put on weight and is therefore evil.

Dunno about humans, but the ould lad uses decaf teabags for dosing.
    The calves are cracked enough without being off their heads on caffeine........ if it even would affect them.

So what else does you'r oul lad feed the cows,if they are " cracked enough"?

Are the cows sold through the food chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Balti = ring sting

Advertisement