Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google street view car.

Options
  • 09-10-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Think I spotted a Google street view car going past the town hall theatre today around 1pm. Not exactly sure, sliver BMW with German plates and spinning camera type thing on top. Anyone else spot this car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think It was mentioned on one of the newspaper facebook pages a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I trust you comported yourself with appropriate decorum, OP.

google-street-view-the-simpsons-1369101470.jpg

If it didn't have Google logo's on it, then it was likely a HERE maps car as they are doing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

It's not Google. Thats a test vehicle from Valeo in Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

My old banger of a car was in my in-laws driveway when the car came around in my part of the country ha ha ha ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw it today on Bóthar na dTreabh three times! It had UK reg plates and was going slow (under 50kph)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TechmanTim

Possibly just under the speed limit there so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

2 years to get around Galway.

And people say there's no traffic problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google Maps gets updated occasionally and thus they need to re-scan the cities.
    It's not a once-off venture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rabjoshu wrote: »

A privacy request most likely from the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sugarman wrote: »
    Paranoid owners requesting it to be.

Which inevitably just draws attention to said houses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know of someone who did this at her Aunt's house (not the photo above) as easy access to their oil tank was visible from the map, Oil theft was really common in that area, so they had since planted a bush that hid it from the actual road.. They got advice from 'a guard friend' that blurring it would make them less of a target, and that 'every step helps'.

High tech scoping? Dunno if it happens but is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Burglar have used social media and streetview in the past to find out if you're home and how the property is laid out.
    Scumbags can be pretty computer savvy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

biko wrote: »
    Burglar have used social media and streetview in the past to find out if you're home and how the property is laid out.
    Scumbags can be pretty computer savvy.

A naive homeowner probably only drawing more attention to themselves. A burglar will probably learn more from the satellite view which is not blurred out, not to mention an actual drive by to find out why a homeowner wants to hide their otherwise normal house

Advertisement