Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I pick the wrong undergrad?

Options
  • 09-10-2014 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, I've deferred a course in public and social policy in NUIG for a year. I hope to follow it up with postgrad study and hopefully venture into academia. For those not familiar with the course it covers Law, Economics, Sociology and Political Studies, related to how public policy is formulated.

My concern is that I've limited what I can do postgrad. My main interests are political theory and philosophy, while I also read a lot related to religion and theology. Obviosuly there is no philosophy in this course except some political theory. If I want to pursue postgrad research in something philosophy or theology related is that pretty much out of the question now? Or would it maybe be possible to do postgrad work in those topics with them somehow tied into political theory, as related to my undergrad course?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You'll be fine. Most arts/social science postgrads take in people from a variety of backgrounds. It'd be different if you were trying to do a masters in biology with a bachelors in English Literature but you'll have no trouble applying for philosophy/theology masters, especially with an interdisciplinary undergrad like the BA in PSP.

One of my friends did his BA in English and History at NUIG then did a masters in Theology in Scotland.

Advertisement