Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best health insurance

Options
  • 10-10-2014 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    I m with Aviva health insurance now for me , my husband and my kids but I am looking around for a new option. My neighbour told me she has no insurance and in case she has to go to the hospital she will only pay the first 3 days and after its free......I am paying around 191 euro per month now and she told me when she went to the hospital ( kidney stones) she surely paid less for the entire treatment plus surgery. Does anyone of you have no health insurance at all?
    Cheers
    Niamh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

evilbaby77 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I m with Aviva health insurance now for me , my husband and my kids but I am looking around for a new option. My neighbour told me she has no insurance and in case she has to go to the hospital she will only pay the first 3 days and after its free......I am paying around 191 euro per month now and she told me when she went to the hospital ( kidney stones) she surely paid less for the entire treatment plus surgery. Does anyone of you have no health insurance at all?
    Cheers
    Niamh

I get health insurance from work but if i didnt then i wouldnt pay for it unless i could easily afford it. Its a waste of money. The consultants are the exact same people that you meet in in public and private , only thing different is that you might go to the bons secours or private hospitals for some elective surgeries .

Lots of people i know have health insurance but choose to have babies via the public health system

My mother has been sick lots in the last 20 years , never had insurance and always got excellent treatment. YOu dont pay for surgery if you need it in the public health system - you pay some ammount towards your bed for a few nights like your friend says

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hi evilbaby77

If you want to stop paying for health insurance I would consider getting what is known as a health insurance cash plan. This is not health insurance but it will give you money towards the cost of hospital stays ( public ward & a and e visit), it could also give you money towards doctor visits, physio, glasses, dental treatment ect.

If you go into www.hia.ie website, click on health insurance comparison and go to the bottom of the page on to - I would like to see health insurance cash plans.
    You need to look at any of the family plans as they will cover you, your husband and children living at the one address.
    I would look at the plans that pay out a min of €75 per night for hospital grant in aid as this would cover the cost of a night in a public hospital. If you or any member of your family have to spend a number of night in hospital this is caped at €750 a year per person. These policies will cover 40 nights a year between the whole family. The hsf plans - family scheme direct 4,5 & 7 seem to offer a lot of things suitable for a family.

This would help pay for health care costs but it will not cover you for day cases or nights in a private hospital.
    If you claim back money on this you which does not cover the full cost you may be able to claim further money back by filling out the med 2 form from the revenue website.

Advertisement