Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland becomes fourth country in world to celebrate Black History Month

• 10-10-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

IRELAND HAS BECOME the fourth country in the world to celebrate an annual Black History Month, following in the footsteps of the US, UK and Canada.

A network of groups have come together through Africa Irish Development Initiatives(AIDI) to organise a series of events that will take place throughout the month of October.

http://www.thejournal.ie/black-history-month-ireland-1703855-Oct2014/
    “What it means to be Irish is going to completely change, it’s already started … it will have completely transformed within two generations.”

Hmmmm. That doesn't sound as well as I think. What's your opinions on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

"What it means to be Irish has changed completely"

I don't get this sh1t, if you're Irish, you're Irish, if you're not, you're not. It's not that complicated really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

Never heard that before. I think you should visit Dublins inner city and inform them that they are black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭tritium

I think polish/ eastern european history month may be far more relevant to the future Irish demographic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The guys that proposed it be called the Africa Irish Development Service presumably got fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Does Ireland have a black history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes the Black & Tans.

Ever hear of Tony Small? Or Fred Douglass?

Ever hear of Tony Small? Or Fred Douglass?

Or Paul McGrath and Barack O'Bama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

When is White history month?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Caliden wrote: »
    When is White history month?

I hear your a racist now father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Is this not a little racist?

Imagine the uproar if there was a White history month.

Why do people want equality and then celebrate differences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well under the status quo, every month is white history month. Similarly equality is also about acknowledging differences and respecting them, not necessarily about treating everyone the exact same.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well under the status quo, every month is white history month. Similarly equality is also about acknowledging differences and respecting them, not necessarily about treating everyone the exact same.

What status quo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Isn't it a bit greedy taking a whole month for it, though? Other similar events/causes make do with a day, or maybe a week (Seachtain na Gaeilge). But a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

wazky wrote: »

I don't get this sh1t, if you're Irish, you're Irish, if you're not, you're not. It's not that complicated really.

We're all Africans baby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Do we get a bank holiday for it? Thats the more important question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Never heard that before. I think you should visit Dublins inner city and inform them that they are black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commitments_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Denzel Washington is my favourite actor.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Denzel Washington is my favourite actor.

He was superb in The Shawshank Redemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

and if a dog is born in a stable it don't make it a horse.. Not that complicated either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He means we are black, metaphorically speaking.

It's a difficult concept, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Isn't it a bit greedy taking a whole month for it, though? Other similar events/causes make do with a day, or maybe a week (Seachtain na Gaeilge). But a month?

Meanwhile we have Mental Health Day, an issue which is deserving of much more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Equality isnt saying everyone is the same.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What they mean is that soon all dem furriners, especially dem black ones from outa Africa, is callin demselves Oirish, donchano?

Whereas, Irish people can only be white, red-haired, freckled, who only listen to diddley-eye music and watch greyhound racing while skulling pints of Arthur and ateing schpudz, ham and cabbage.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What they mean is that soon all dem furriners, especially dem black ones from outa Africa, is callin demselves Oirish, donchano?

Whereas, Irish people can only be white, red-haired, freckled, who only listen to diddley-eye music and watch greyhound racing while skulling pints of Arthur and ateing schpudz, ham and cabbage.
    You forgot:
    Having a general dislike of the English, but following a Premier League club.
    Having a general dislike of the English, but watching Coronation St / X Factor
    Having a general dislike of the English, but watching Sky News every day.
    Having a general dislike of the English, but using Cockney slang regularly.
    Having a general dislike of the English, but shopping in Tesco & Boots.
    Having a general dislike of the English, but loving Oasis and The Who.
    etc..

Traits of a true Irish man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I feel so old. :-/ *awkward sidey-face*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How is that not racist?
    Is there a white history month? Are there mowo awards?
    And what exactly is black history anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but sharing a skin colour with someone does not connect you in any way. The history of people with dark skin is about as pointless a grouping and the history of people with big tits.
    Now there's an idea I could get behind, big tits month. Sounds way more interesting than the history of those with more melanin than average, and every bit as logical a grouping too:mad:

• Advertisement

1 month of black history, 1 month of Irish history, 1 month of European history, 9 months of World War 2 history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

How is that not racist?
    And what exactly is black history anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but sharing a skin colour with someone does not connect you in any way. The history of people with dark skin is about as pointless a grouping and the history of people with big tits.
    Now there's an idea I could get behind, big tits month. Sounds way more interesting than the history of those with more melanin than average, and every bit as logical a grouping too:mad:

I think for black people in the western world, even if they're from different backgrounds and living in different countries, there's a shared history of discrimination, which still hasn't gone away entirely. I don't see any harm in acknowledging that and presenting a more objective view of black history, a narrative that never really got to be aired during times of more overt oppression. It's redressing the balance.

For white people as a general group (of course there is a minority of discriminated-against groups within that group, but white people in general have never suffered widespread discrimination) there's no need to redress the balance. There's nothing that needs to be told. We know all about the history of white people. For most people, history IS white history, told by and about the dominant ethnic group in the West. A white history month would have nothing interesting to tell us, unless it were focussed on more obscure corners of history, and underrepresented minorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 freqeunt_guest

I think for black people in the western world, even if they're from different backgrounds and living in different countries, there's a shared history of discrimination, which still hasn't gone away entirely. I don't see any harm in acknowledging that and presenting a more objective view of black history, a narrative that never really got to be aired during times of more overt oppression. It's redressing the balance.

For white people as a general group (of course there is a minority of discriminated-against groups within that group, but white people in general have never suffered widespread discrimination) there's no need to redress the balance. There's nothing that needs to be told. We know all about the history of white people. For most people, history IS white history, told by and about the dominant ethnic group in the West. A white history month would have nothing interesting to tell us, unless it were focussed on more obscure corners of history, and underrepresented minorities.

How perfectly PC

How perfectly PC

explain how its pc, as opposed to being a well reasoned point.

I feel so old. :-/ *awkward sidey-face*

Are we not white? I'm looking at my arm as I type. There is a remnants of a summers tan there, but I'm still relatively white.

Are we not white? I'm looking at my arm as I type. There is a remnants of a summers tan there, but I'm still relatively white.

ok, maybe a direct link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101605/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

• Advertisement

We are too white, if anything. I feel discriminated against by our slightly less white "friends" such as the French, Italians and Spanish.

I demand a month of celebration for us whiter than white whites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Or Paul McGrath and Barack O'Bama

Not forgetting Buffal O'Soldier & Ceilidh Selassie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

I was under the impression that most of the black people in this country had arrived here over the last 20 years and were 'escaping oppression' ...in Africa by other Africans, I hadn't realised that they were victims of Ireland's global Imperial reach.
    No doubt the the lefty quango responsible (for where else would this daft stichk come from) feel that the newcomers perhaps lack the requisite chip on the shoulder and need to be educated as to the evils of the 'white devil' so they can understand that absolute entitlement that they should enjoy for all the slavery that they didn't suffer. Why many may have arrived utterly unaware of their autom,atic entitlement of the status as 'victims of white opressors'.

What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yes, but unlike the other countries celebrating this garbage, we didn't participate in slavery etc.

In fact, http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076
    we were just as much victims of the same crap as they were.

But of course, - dont let me stop you PC'ers on your self flaggelation mission. Sure we probably deserved Cromwell too....

fcuk sake...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Packrat wrote: »
    Yes, but unlike the other countries celebrating this garbage, we didn't participate in slavery etc.

In fact, http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

But of course, - dont let me stop you PC'ers on your self flaggelation mission. Sure we probably deserved Cromwell too....

fcuk sake...

Hell of a couple of jumps. Why exactly is it garbage?

Please explain why we, as Irish people, should not be encouraged to learn more about a particular part of history which we often do not?

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most of the black people in this country had arrived here over the last 20 yeards and were 'escaping opression' ...in Africa by other Africans, I hadn't realised that they were victims of Ireland global Imperial reach.
    No doubt the the lefty quango responsible (for where else would this daft stichk come from) feel that the newcomers perhaps they lack the requisite chip on the shoulder and need to be educated as to the evils of the 'white devil' so they can understand that absolute entitlement that they should enjoy for all the slavery that they didn't suffer. Why many may have arrived utterly unaware of their autom,atic entitlement of the status as 'victims of white opressors'.

What a load of nonsense.
    In my opinion, The African-Americans who came here from Nigeria, Uganda etc, deserve to be honoured.

My union organises an event for International Migrant's Day every December. I should write to them and inform them that that's a total disgrace and that they should have an International Non-Migrant's Day as well.

There is nothing at all wrong with something like a Black History Month; the reason such an initiative was started was because black people had generally been written out of history. Not only were they excluded from many aspects of society, their contribution to the building of certain countries was largely overlooked or deliberately ignored. Recognising that some different groups may have some different needs is not a bad thing.

By the logic of some here, having women's issue groups is discriminatory because they aren't concerned with men.

Also, before people p*ss themselves entirely; this isn't a state sponsored event. It's a coalition of African and migrant groups setting up a few events to discuss the contribution that migrants make as well as any potential issues they have today. It's a cultural exercise by migrant workers, I don't see why people would object to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

How is that not racist?

I never understand this moaning about how there's no white history month. It's like people who say that it's not fair that there's no straight pride parades. What exactly is unfair about it or is it just because you're not used to not being allowed to get involved in every single thing that happens? Every month is white history month. Everyday is a straight pride parade. Being white and straight is the accepted norm. White people in this part of the world aren't and never have been oppressed for being white. Why would there ever be any need to have a celebration of 'white culture' when it is celebrated all around us all the time and there has hardly ever been a time when it hasn't been? Look at films and television and music down through the generations and you'll see plenty of people who look like you. The same couldn't be said for black people, or indeed any minority.

Anyway, that all said, I'd be inclined to agree with what Morgan Freeman had to say about Black History Month: Black History should not be relegated to just one month of the year. Black History is part and parcel of history in general, it's not just an aside.

GerB40 wrote: »
    Imagine the cries of racism if such a thing were created..

http://irishamericanheritagemonth.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish-American_Heritage_Month

racism?

KungPao wrote: »
    We are too white, if anything. I feel discriminated against by our slightly less white "friends" such as the French, Italians and Spanish.

I demand a month of celebration for us whiter than white whites.

Visit them during the winter months. They get as pale as ourselves then. Actually, I go near see through in the winter. Translucent. On that Casper s*it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Packrat

folan wrote: »
    Hell of a couple of jumps. Why exactly is it garbage?

Please explain why we, as Irish people, should not be encouraged to learn more about a particular part of history which we often do not?

Read the article I linked, and then explain to me why we here in Ireland ought to be self flaggelating over something we had no part in apart from being per capita LARGER victims of ?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Samuel L Jackson offered to be Grand Marshal of the parade for this, there is going to be a parade isn't there?

Read the article I linked, and then explain to me why we here in Ireland ought to be self flaggelating over something we had no part in apart from being per capita LARGER victims of ?

ill have to look up the meaning of flaggelating.

ok done.

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom (and now Ireland) for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora.

we arent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

fcuk sake...

http://oldmooresalmanac.com/news-topics/diaspora/duplicate-of-nairobi-dreaming.html

I used to work with a few of them in Hackney years ago. They call their shoes "brógs" and their jumpers "geansaís". Nearly all of them have Irish surnames as well. One lad I worked with was called Joe O'Reilly and he was married to a woman called Maisie O'Keefe. They were to this day some of the blackest people I have ever met. The odd year they participate in the St Patrick's Day parade in London.

It's definitely on my bucket list to spend St Patrick's Day out there. Their national dish is Goat Water which is Irish stew only with kid goat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement