Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland becomes fourth country in world to celebrate Black History Month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Nodin wrote: »
    Why? Does that have something to do with the question I asked?

How old are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

How old are you?

Do. Not. Feed.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

How do people feel about this statement.

I think it is a reasonable thing to say, although the use of the word "completely" is an exaggeration in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

Great film, great quote :D

Oh the irony, and this is the country that still uses 'Sambo' as the slang for sandwich . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

How do people feel about this statement.

The definition of Irishness has been constantly changing. Whilst there is still a myth that Irish is interchangeable with Gaelic (a language the vast majority of Irish people cannot speak) a man called Fitzgerald led the country, a man called Varadkar is a Minister today (and likely a future leader of the country), a man called Cascarino is an Irish footballing hero. I wouldn't get attached to any particular definition of Irishness, it will be out of date very shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What exactly are we celebrating ?

And why are we celebrating?

Homer wrote: »
    and if a dog is born in a stable it don't make it a horse.. Not that complicated either.

It is a lot more complicated than that though.

Irish and Irishness are two concepts which were made by humans, being a horse or a dog is a completely natural occurrence, it's undeniable what's what in that situation.

If you went to American and had a son there, would he consider himself Irish or American? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Fear Gorm month is best month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as "black history" is not a euphemism for "blacks suffering the white man's oppression, guilt on you, guilt on you" and is more about African culture and the food and music etc I'm don't mind.
    If fact a "New Irish month" would be cool, including all newcomers not just Africans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How old are you?

Whats the relevance of my age to anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Is it gonna be like black history month in the uk where it's about Africans, Caribbean's, and south Asians or just Africans and Caribbean's?
    In the states we have irish history month in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can mixed race people come too?

I only discovered that recently. Is it something people are very aware of (outside of Massachusetts) do you know?

Are we now going to mindlessly copy the US and bring in affirmative action as well?

Will it be better if we discriminate against white Irish people in the workplace?

When will the battle to end "racism" finally be won? Can someone please outline what that looks like?

Candie wrote: »
    I only discovered that recently. Is it something people are very aware of (outside of Massachusetts) do you know?

Yes I believe so. We celebrated it at my school and neighborhood in NY. We did have a large population of irish Americans.

Are we now going to mindlessly copy the US and bring in affirmative action as well?

Will it be better if we discriminate against white Irish people in the workplace?

When will the battle to end "racism" finally be won? Can someone please outline what that looks like?

what exactly are you needlessly panicking about now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Is it gonna be like black history month in the uk where it's about Africans, Caribbean's, and south Asians or just Africans and Caribbean's?

The title of the news report is a bit misleading. It's not official yet.

The Polish are our largest minority. Our history curriculum barely touches their history. World War two and Constance Markievicz(who was Irish) excepted. I'm in me 20s. Maybe it's different now.

Perhaps we should have a history month that celebrates all our new arrivals and their countries?

Candie wrote: »
    I nly discovered that recently. Is it something people are very aware of (outside of Massachusetts) do you know?

Im open to correction here, but by Public Law 101-418, the President has to announce March to be Irish History Month every year since the early 90s. It's nationwide, not just Mass. Public schools put on an 'Oirish' menu for a few days over the month. Hence how corned beef and cabbage remains a stereotypical Irish meal for Americans.

I've a friend that teaches in rural Maine. She says that the only time all the kids engage, is when she teaches them about Ireland. She asks them to put their hands up if they have Irish heritage. 'My nanny came from Sligo, my daddy is from Dublin, my pops is from County Clare, my grandad is from Belfast.' Half her class are American born Irish citizens. I keep telling her to threaten them with the wooden spoon if they misbehave.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He means we are black, metaphorically speaking.

It's a difficult concept, I know.

Our ancestors may have been shat on. I've only benefited from being Irish. Recession or no, we enjoy a standard of living the vast majority of the worlds population would envy. It's today that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Reading through that article and one of those interviewed referring to gangster rappers as "outlawed heroes", I'm just taken by the absurdity of something like this but then not surprised it is going ahead in Ireland, backboned no doubt by some holier-than-thou lefty quango. Why should the colour of your skin matter? Why not name it something along the lines of "African origin"? And then to go and equate the struggles of Irish emigrants in the past with African emigrants into Ireland in the boom, what an insult. And also, what about the Chinese, Jewish, Pakistani etc people in Ireland? Are they allowed come along and put up a stall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I dislike the Idea, they are getting preference because they are seen as traditional subjugated minority.I don't see a Polish month , who already make up a sizeable minority in this country. Can we make people truly equal by not favoring one group over with a designated holiday and giving us some sort of white mans guilt ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I dislike the Idea, they are getting preference because they are seen as traditional subjugated minority.I don't see a Polish month , who already make up a sizeable minority in this country. Can we make people truly equal by not favoring one group over with a designated holiday and giving us some sort of white mans guilt ?

Again you're missing the point entirely. Black History Month in Ireland is being organised by African migrant groups themselves to highlight and discuss their culture and contribution to Ireland. It isn't a state-sponsored initiative of favouritism. I imagine if a Polish society in Ireland organised events around Polish culture nobody would have a problem with that either.

The Polish are our largest minority. Our history curriculum barely touches their history. World War two and Constance Markievicz(who was Irish) excepted. I'm in me 20s. Maybe it's different now.

Perhaps we should have a history month that celebrates all our new arrivals and their countries?

I assumed that the polish and southeast Asians were Ireland's largest minority groups. That's why I asked if black history month would inc southeast Asians like the UK.
    It's been stated in this thread that black history month was being sponsored by african migrant groups not the irish govt.
    I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve but don't they have the right to celebrate whatever they want to?

Im open to correction here, but by Public Law 101-418, the President has to announce March to be Irish History Month every year since the early 90s. It's nationwide, not just Mass. Public schools put on an 'Oirish' menu for a few days over the month. Hence how corned beef and cabbage remains a stereotypical Irish meal for Americans.

I've a friend that teaches in rural Maine. She says that the only time all the kids engage, is when she teaches them about Ireland. She asks them to put their hands up if they have Irish heritage. 'My nanny came from Sligo, my daddy is from Dublin, my pops is from County Clare, my grandad is from Belfast.' Half her class are American born Irish citizens. I keep telling her to threaten them with the wooden spoon if they misbehave.

Exactly how it's done over here but we would also have speakers give lectures on irish history, step dancing , Soda bread and traditional irish music

• Advertisement

Exactly how it's done over here but we would also have speakers give lectures on irish history, step dancing , Soda bread and traditional irish music

How is the soda bread?

Not "we", the minority group can have one if they want, you or anyone else doesn't have to involve yourself in it if you don't want to. You'd swear it was being forced upon you the way you're talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

FTA69 wrote: »
    Again you're missing the point entirely. Black History Month in Ireland is being organised by African migrant groups themselves to highlight and discuss their culture and contribution to Ireland. It isn't a state-sponsored initiative of favouritism. I imagine if a Polish society in Ireland organised events around Polish culture nobody would have a problem with that either.

I'd presume some of the agro is because of it being called BLACK history month rather than AFRICAN history month, for something thats presumably coming from the viewpoint that skin color doesn't really matter, naming your cultural event around your skin color does seem a bit strange.
    We are not the USA or the UK, we don't have a large African American or afro Caribbean population and historically Black Irish in this country were an utterly minuscule minority, what we have is a large population of African Descent.

Its a reductionist event, apart from their skin color what cultural background do a Beta Israeli (the Ethiopian Jews many of whom live in Israel now), share with a Afro-Haitian.
    Now if it was an African history month thats something thats needed, even its modern history is shamefully neglected, I was trying to find a history style/serious academic book rather than an aid workers journalistic account of the 1st or 2nd Congo War and I couldn't find anything (this thread has reminded me to search again), these two wars are probably the bloodiest events in recent times (potentially 6 million plus dead) and they are basically written out of history. Similarly ancient african history isn't taught something like the Bantu Expansion is a was a really important event (the theorized expansion of farmers across the south of the continent)

Not "we", the minority group can have one if they want, you or anyone else doesn't have to involve yourself in it if you don't want to. You'd swear it was being forced upon you the way you're talking.

It will eventually be forced on my young lad in school.

It will eventually be forced on my young lad in school.

When? By who? Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Now if it was an African history month thats something thats needed, even its modern history is shamefully neglected

I agree fully with this. I reckon I have a slightly above average knowledge of world history but I only stumbled upon the Biafran War this month by typing "the boards" wrongly into the search bar on my phone. It was a total blind spot with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Caliden wrote: »
    When is White history month?

White history month would be Racist month! The mostly English and Dutch aristocratic slave owners from the 16th and 17th centuries happened to be white just like you! You must take their blame upon your shoulders and place all your pride on the alter of political correctness!

When? By who? Why?

I've no qualms answering you. It would be sweet if you answered me. How old are you?

How is the soda bread?

Really good actually but I heard that soda bread is more american than irish

When? By who? Why?

The PC brigade *sarcasm*

I've no qualms answering you. It would be sweet if you answered me. How old are you?

Well, you can search my posts for numbers between one and sixty and find the answer that way, or you can do the easy thing and tell me what relevance my age has to anything first. Should you just explain the latter, I'll be glad to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If we celebrated white history there'd be massive outrage about it. We're not supposed to discriminate with colour but isn't celebrating Black history 'positive' discrimination:confused: I'm confused, one minute using the word black to describe the black people of the world is enough to have the keyboard warrriors declare you racist, now I'm supposed to celebrate 'black' history.

If we celebrated white history there'd be massive outrage about it. We're not supposed to discriminate with colour but isn't celebrating Black history 'positive' discrimination:confused: I'm confused, one minute using the word black to describe the black people of the world is enough to have the keyboard warrriors declare you racist, now I'm supposed to celebrate 'black' history.

It amazes me that no matter how many times this is explained, this comes up over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Well under the status quo, every month is white history month. Similarly equality is also about acknowledging differences and respecting them, not necessarily about treating everyone the exact same.

Then every month should also be black history month too!!! Why segregate their history when it could be included in the curriculum throughout the year. You know, with the rest of history! Why not learn about figures like Mansa Musa or the Axumite Empire alongside the Inca/Roman Empires.

I think this only serves to reinforce the "Us vs Them" attitude, despite the good intentions. And lastly let's not neglect our Asian & Arab diaspora living here.

Really good actually but I heard that soda bread is more american than irish

Really?

• Advertisement

Well, you can search my posts for numbers between one and sixty and find the answer that way, or you can do the easy thing and tell me what relevance my age has to anything first. Should you just explain the latter, I'll be glad to tell you.

I only asked for a number. Not a lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It amazes me that no matter how many times this is explained, this comes up over and over and over.

Ah Nodin, here you are again to take the opposite view on anything, just so long as it's the opposite view. How very tragic.:D

I assumed that the polish and southeast Asians were Ireland's largest minority groups. That's why I asked if black history month would inc southeast Asians like the UK.
    It's been stated in this thread that black history month was being sponsored by african migrant groups not the irish govt.
    I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve but don't they have the right to celebrate whatever they want to?

Sure! I'm of mixed white heritage. You won't mind if I set up a white history month, right?

Inform me of their contribution. I know you love spoofing, but I prefer facts and figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Caliden wrote: »
    When is White history month?

That would be every other month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's Hispanic month somewhere in America .

Inform me of their contribution. I know you love spoofing, but I prefer facts and figures.

You didn't have the nadgers to lay out how he was spoofing the last time you fired that one out.

If you want to know what age I am, all you have to do is tell me what the relevance of it is. Very simple and entirely fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Should we have a straight pride march aswell and a mens rights parade

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Should we have a straight pride march aswell and a mens rights parade

Men don't have rights? Gays haven't been portrayed as everything from mentally ill to paedophiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Men don't have rights? Gays haven't been portrayed as everything from mentally ill to paedophiles?

huh i was being sarcastic
    because the personw as asking why we dont have white history month

Advertisement