Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding my Labrador & French Bulldog

• 10-10-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Having a bit of a issue at the moment, my existing food (clear bag unbranded) has recently caused both of the dogs weight to balloon over a month to two month period presumably a change in the foods make-up.

So i have decided to change it yesterday (mixing the food to get them used to it) for a branded food "Trio Bloom" complete with beef (19% protein)

Now here is the guts of the issue! This food recommends 600g for the lab and 400g for the bulldog and previously the lab was getting 360g so the new food is a 66% more in physical amount of food and its even more on the bulldog who was getting 180g and so is now getting 122% physical amount of food increase.

this seems a huge increase even if the food is different in it make-up

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's probably because the new food is of poorer quality (19% protein is quite low; I'd expect in the low 30s for high quality; mid 20s for medium quality as a general guideline) and hence you need to feed more to get them enough energy etc. This is exactly the false economy of cheaper brands over more expensive once; you need to feed them more to get the same energy out of it.

As reference: Taste of the Wild Prairie - 33.6%, Markus Muhle Black angus - 25.2% and not until you hit a feed with 58% rice (Burns Adult) do you hit 18.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 22rabbits

well i had my choice of all the way up to 25 or 26% from the same brand at the same price, i can always go back to the shop (around the corner) and check that the doses are different on the higher protein bags.

what would you recommend food wise? these are house dogs and get walked 15 minutes and 10 minutes of throwing a ball with launcher everyday. money is the hard one, id love to feed them science plan but put simply a €20 bag bi-monthly is my limit

mature student with huge daily commute :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Science plan is poor quality for it's price same with Royal Canin, overhyped and overpriced (medical versions excluded). About as cheap as I can go for recommendations is to go with Markus Muhle NaturaNah which I highly doubt you'll find in the shop (and ordering online tend to be cheaper anyway). Once you confirmed it works for your dogs (i.e. start with a 5kg bag) you can get it from Zooplus.de even cheaper (use Chrome to translate). MM is recommended at 1.2% of body weight (and that's what they should weigh; not current weight) so you can calculate how long a 15kg bag would last for price comparison (be warned MM is very compact; the bag will look small and the portions are tiny but it packs a lot of energy in it's size!). The thing to keep in mind with dog food is not how much the bag cost but how much it cost to feed per day; feeding poor quality food in huge portions tend to end up costing as much or more as a higher quality food that you feed less off instead.

As for 15 min walk, 10 min throwing a ball may be on the low side for exercise so you may want to consider increasing the walks and do it twice a day (that way you don't have to do it all in one go).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

400g for a French Bulldog?? Jesus my female Rottie only gets around that.

What are the main ingredients? Does it say Meat and Animal Derivitives on the bag? If so its not great at all.

That is no way enough exercise for either dog. The labrador should be getting an hour to 2 hours a day, minimum. No wonder their weight has ballooned. If you are only exercising that much then you should have cut the food right back. I suggest you increase the exercise significantly as that is no where near enough for either dog.

ill have a look at the bag when im feeding them in an hour. i agree 2 hours for the lab would be nice but really 2 hours is unachievable also the lad has never had a weight issue in his previous 8 years with same or less exercise and the bulldog get more exercise than is need for that bread.

@Nody that food is more than i can afford :( any chance you know anything that is circa €20

• Advertisement

22rabbits wrote: »
    @Nody that food is more than i can afford :( any chance you know anything that is circa €20
    Nothing I'd ever recommend but as cheap as it goes this is it; I want to stress this is NOT something I'd recommend any dog to be left on but purely as a temporary carry over until you get buy something like MM.

sorry just seen the edit of the last post now :)

To be honest, would you not just stick to the food you are feeding but cut it right back, and try and increase the exercise as well? To be honest, 15 mins is not enough per day for a Labrador and most Lab's are prone to weight issues so its important you cut back their food if they arent getting enough exercise.

thats what im planing to do cutting back the food and see how the dog fair, hopefully this will rectify the issue. walking for longer isn't really something i can do with long commute to collage and work too, but the run after the launched ball really tiers the dogs out so its not really just a 15minute walk, the dog wouldn't get to that level of fatigue from walking a hour or so

22rabbits wrote: »
    thats what im planing to do cutting back the food and see how the dog fair, hopefully this will rectify the issue. walking for longer isn't really something i can do with long commute to collage and work too, but the run after the launched ball really tiers the dogs out so its not really just a 15minute walk, the dog wouldn't get to that level of fatigue from walking a hour or so

Its not just about the walking though, mentally if they are on a long walk they are sniffing and looking about, meeting new things which is all good for them.

Chasing a ball for 15 mins everyday would get very boring for a dog, doing the same thing over and over again, that's why good walks and varied walks are good for them. Road work walking is great for muscle tone and getting them fit. Or maybe if you had a bike you could try bringing the Lab for a 10/15 min cycle to increase the exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP I would reduce the amount you are feeding them, my cocker adores food and if I allowed him he would eat and eat all day every day. Substitute with some cooked veg to bulk up the amount but reduced the calories etc.

I feed him twice a day in the morning cooked salmon (or boiled chicken / mincemeat) and lots of Veg (maybe some rice too), along with salmon oil and luposan pellets for his joints etc.
    In the evenings I feed him ½ a day’s portion of Taste of the wild dried nuts 90g (again a small amount of salmon oil.)

He also is walked 6k 5 nights a week and longer on the other two…. he’s perfect weight, not skinny and not over weight.

so reduce the amount and substitute with lots of veg, a raw egg whisked in, or a tin or sardines in oil once per week etc.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are you anywhere near the border? Working dog food in the UK is 0% VAT, so worth a trip to NI to buy, Skinners is good, even Jollyes own brand isn't a bad food. In RoI, greyhound food is reduced vat, so again, whilst not the best food on the market, if it had the normal VAT rate on, it would be dearer, so you are getting a better quality for your money, if that makes sense. If you go with greyhound food, go for one for a resting dog. Its the fat that you need to concern yourself with regarding weight issues, which will usually be called oils on a dog food bag. Dogs get their energy from fat, so obviously if its high in fat, and they're not getting proper exercise, then they will put weight on. I don't know what the story is on the VAT on working foods if you order something on the internet from the UK, might be worth checking out if that would remain at 0%

As others have said, the cheaper the food, the more you have to feed, so it is a false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Also,
    it might be worth to go to your butcher and ask for scraps.
    I do that with mine and I get heart, lung, tongue for free and will often throw in a few liver-slices.
    It's so much (I have to say my butcher holds it for me for the week) that I can feed all my dogs (9) raw over 4 meals in the weekend.They love it.And it saves a good bit on my normal food.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Is buying online an option? Skinners is a great food that has no Vat on it as its working dog food. It's a good enough quality food too especially for the price. I would never, ever buy something that's unbranded, who knows what's actually going into the food!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Duck-Rice/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412940799&sr=8-1&keywords=skinners

im very close to the boarder so this might be a worth while thing to do and Skinners does sound good obviously only worth it if i get a bulk buy. anyway guys ill wait this bag out and see what its like and report back if the weight has dropped im feeding them both less than recommended by the bag now and we have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

take your dogs swimming if you can, it'll help them lose weight much quicker and the labrador will love you for it :) Gain elite isn't a bad quality food. An 8kg lasts my two almost a month and they are both in far better condition and less poos than when I had them on Clinivet or Burns. The 8kg costs me €39.99. Gain original 15KG is €19.99, it wouldn't be the best quality but it's good for the price. Petmania have an offer of two for €30 at the moment :)

Advertisement