Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 8 - "Mummy on the Orient Express"

Options
  • 10-10-2014 9:04am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, even if this season has been a bit varying in quality, the titles of episodes have been pretty great throughout; this being no exception.

So the question for this weeks adventure is whether Clara is gone for 'good', or if the Doctor has simply taken a sojourn to clear his head. There have been similar stories like this before: the Doctor travels on his own, makes some mistake or miscalculation and realises he needs company and a friend to travel with.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While in some ways it looks like a bit of cross between a rehash of the Titanic special from a few years back and an episode of Scooby-doo, I'm really looking forward to this one. A bit of a break from Clara will do no harm, and hopefully she'll return with all her soufflé girl goodness rather than the moany love-struck yoke we've had in recent episodes.

Mummies on vintage trains in space; bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I was wracking my brain to remember another reference to the Orient Express in space and have found it. The Smith Doctor refers to it in the episode The Big Bang: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdu1d4_three_shortfilms (around the 12 minute mark).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I was wracking my brain to remember another reference to the Orient Express in space and have found it. The Smith Doctor refers to it in the episode The Big Bang: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdu1d4_three_shortfilms (around the 12 minute mark).

This was on Reddit a while ago, and the writer of the episode confirmed that there is a link between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

crazyderk wrote: »
    This was on Reddit a while ago, and the writer of the episode confirmed that there is a link between the two.

Cool, although I hope that they don't do the same as in the Deep Breath episode where The Doctor is continually saying "I've seen this before".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Well I'm definitely looking forward to a Clara break. The solo adventures tend to bring an interesting side to the Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Frank Skinner is guesting so I'm expecting a tongue-in-cheek bit of Agatha Christie nonsense (with sonic screwdrivers in).
    Besides, Doctor Who and Hercule Poirot are close fictional relations personality wise anyway.

Prediction: The Doctor will have a near death/big epiphany moment (I'm thinking someone sacrifices themselves to save everyone), that makes him realise the errors of his ways and we end the episode with a human moment with Clara.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm liking the Queen song :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whose voice is that as the computer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been trying to figure it out, it sounds familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

Sounds like John Cleese

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sessions Apparently it's this guy.

Angron wrote: »
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sessions Apparently it's this guy.

I flicked channels and came onto an ad he was doing a voice over for, so maybe he does them regularly?

Wasn't too mad on the Clara 'I just don't know how I feel any more" malarkey, but it was very cute at the end with the Doctor getting all excited that she wanted to stay. :D

Overall the episode was pretty good, interesting premise but a bit of a rushed ending though. Frank Skinner was a bit, neh, though.

Good episode for character building, other than that I think it would have been a better stand-alone episode for the Doctor.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I flicked channels and came onto an ad he was doing a voice over for, so maybe he does them regularly?

John Sessions is this guy...

E8Dqbxu.jpg

You've seen him in things.

I'm noticing a lot more past references this season than I have in previous seasons. Stuff like "Are you my mummy?" and the jelly babies in this episode. I didn't think they were as prevalent before.

Jamie Mathison, who wrote tonight and next weeks episode, is doing a Reddit IAMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2iyngn/i_wrote_tonights_doctor_who_and_next_weeks_ama/

For some more insights about the episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Angron wrote: »
    I'm noticing a lot more past references.

When he was talking to himself near the start of the programme, was he doing at least one of the voices mimicking a previous doctor - in particular the 4th doctor?!?

Maybe it's a thing and he's having a breakdown

I quite liked that ep

I expected that engineer fella to turn out to be someone big. Maybe he will be

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe it's a thing and he's having a breakdown

I quite liked that ep

I expected that engineer fella to turn out to be someone big. Maybe he will be
    Yeah, to be honest I half expected him to turn out to be Gus or something.

• Advertisement

Frank Skinner as the Master or some other sinister all-powerful figure. Now we really are entering the realms of fantasy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I liked it.

No word on the promised land yet... or has Gus a part to play?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Overall I enjoyed it as a pleasing middle of road Dr. Who episode. Interesting plot line, good supporting characters (perhaps Mr. Skinner was underused) and a touch of the Dr.'s arrogance balanced by his mad-cap bravery. Especially nice was the nod to the older episodes' jellybabies, in the silver case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Enjoyed that. I'm really enjoying this series. Capaldi (and the writers) have transformed the character completely. This is the first and possibly the 8th doctor. The whole nicey nice thing needed a break. As for Clara, given the extent of his character change, getting it all over in a few episodes probably wouldn't be realistic. Rose got over the loss of. 9 far too easily for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

That sucked and was brilliant in equal measure. Clara's is now back and OK after her strop last week? Give me a break!
    The plot was OK, Capaldi was excellent, less angry than he has been. I liked the soldier thing that solved the problem, another doctor/soldier parallel. Liked the nods to old episodes mummy and the jelly babies.
    Gus? Is he the engineer or something to do with Missie?
    I'm liking this series a lot so far, stuff has been shaken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Personally I liked the almost direct reference to the Beschdel test.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My child talked all over the dialogue, so I'm going to have to re-watch.

I did get that Frank Skinner is a terrible terrible actor. The Doctor invited him to travel too! Jaysus.

Rose got over the loss of. 9 far too easily for my taste.

Well, she had a pretty face to look at to ease her over it. :)

(Not that PC isn't nice to look at, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Another thought, like the mystery boss behind time heist, is it possible that Gus is the doctor?
    I came across a theory that the mummy is Danny, far fetched and based on the slight similarity between the way both the mummy and Danny saluted the doctor. It would be a dark twist if it's right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I liked this one I have to say.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Another thought, like the mystery boss behind time heist, is it possible that Gus is the doctor?
    I came across a theory that the mummy is Danny, far fetched and based on the slight similarity between the way both the mummy and Danny saluted the doctor. It would be a dark twist if it's right.

Can't see Gus being the Doctor since that was done in the bank heist episode. Certainly would be odd to reuse that idea so quickly.

Advertisement