Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 8 - "Mummy on the Orient Express"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Angron wrote: »
    Certainly would be odd to reuse that idea so quickly.

The words 'robots' and 'meta-timers' jump out to me as example of plot threads that have been redone multiple times this season. I think the fact The Doctor's involvement seems plausible means they're doing exactly what they set out with 12 in bringing the whole role of The Doctor into question. The heroic strand as secondary consequence rather than active desire pretty much nails it for me as a re-attempt at Colin Baker's 6, minus the wonky stories, wonkier wardrobe and the constant threat of cancellation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Whatever about meta-timers, but robots are just such a common thing in sci-fi in general that I don't think that really counts as reusing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sat down and watched with the kids last night and we all really enjoyed it for the entertaining romp that it was. Capaldi is growing on me as a doctor, though like many of the previous comments, I expected Frank Skinner's character to have a bit more sinister involvement in the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I enjoyed the episode. I was a little surprised to see Clara, the trailer made it look like she wasn't in it at all. There must be some link with Gus and Missy, they wouldn't usually leave a baddie unrevealed unless it had something to do with the overarching storyline. I was dismayed when I saw Frank Skinner in the trailer, I don't like him as an actor/comedian and when The Doctor invited him to stay and travel with him, I quickly vowed to never watch another episode again. Thankfully, he refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Now that was a proper episode of Doctor Who!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that was a very strong episode really; the rift between the Doctor and Clara wasn't overplayed or overwrought, and their first scene on the train together was marvellous. It has been said many times already, but Capaldi has elevated the material every time he has been on-screen, by dint of his intensity alone. His guilty glances to Clara as they chatted about her 'last' voyage just gave his blather an extra layer. And of course his timing with the comedy was perfect, as one would expect

The moment where he zapped himself with the medical scanner also felt like a potential watershed moment with the 12th Doctor, having only then registered the harsh rebuke from Clara about his flippant callousness. It seemed more like the kind of thing his predecessors might have done; taking that dangerous course of action, as much out of curiousity as it was out of selflessness. Hope it's a sign of things to come; given how front & centre the clash between the TARDIS crew has been, it'd be a bit nuts if the Doctor just reverted back to prior form.

Otherwise, the rest of the story really hung together nicely, was tightly paced, as witty as the show usually is and generally very enjoyable - can't say fairer than that. I suspect 'Gus' will return, or has some part to play in the finale; he seemed too ambiguous a threat to be standalone & given he recognised the TARDIS as a vessel it would seem he knew more than he let on.

If I had one quibble though is that it felt like one of those stories that needed an extra 10 minutes, if only to give the side-characters room to grow. Too often in new-Who the 45 minute runtime results in secondary characters getting short-shrift in terms of an arc; they're either bumped off or leave before we get a chance to take them in.

Same grumbles too about the music & inappropriate cues, although the music accompanying the scene on the beach was quite nice.

Also, I couldn't help think if the Mummy was a soldier of the Osirians from the old series; the tech keeping him alive looked very ... 'Egyptian'. Nice, subtle shoutout if it was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

tommy2bad wrote: »
    That sucked and was brilliant in equal measure. Clara's is now back and OK after her strop last week? Give me a break!
    The plot was OK, Capaldi was excellent, less angry than he has been. I liked the soldier thing that solved the problem, another doctor/soldier parallel. Liked the nods to old episodes mummy and the jelly babies.
    Gus? Is he the engineer or something to do with Missie?
    I'm liking this series a lot so far, stuff has been shaken up.

I think the whole point of Clara and been OK, is she now sees that while the doctors seems not to care with his decisions is because he cant as he knows whatever he decides it could be the wrong one. Like with the lady in this episode where he took her pain so he could see the mummy he did not know it would work but he hoped. and because of that she sees him in a new light. The new doctor who is scared and can't show his emotion because of the choices he makes.

Is more than likely why they were made to make the choice about the moon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't think so...

He was pretty honest with her that, yes, he had a plan, but also that he did ask her to lie, as he wasn't sure he could save her.

I think she stayed because she's addicted.

I have to say, it's fun getting a bit of honesty out of the Doctor. Eleven in particular was incredibly manipulative with little explaination as to his reasons. I'd trust Twelve more, in spite of his gruffness, as more of his cards are in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yeah their was a definite reference to addiction as far as Clara was concerned. Even lieing to her boyfriend to continue her addiction.
    The Good Stuff; Clara's dress, just wow! the look of the interiors and the way they used the narrow space, the real time ticking of the 66 seconds really worked, normally I hate time bomb's because they are usually just a cheap way to add tension but it worked well here both for tension and plot narrative. The mummy itself, didn't move round much but was just the right amount of scary and mysterious. And the cast hit the right notes all the way through, even Frank Skinner, who can't act, worked well as a bland almost blank slate, giving his character an air of possibility.

Finally, a proper episode of Doctor Who. First one of the season in my opinion.

1) Capaldi was captivating. What a brilliant performance throughout, completely shattering my delusions with him from last week and prior episodes. Compelling, mysterious and keeping himself detached from people, while still being able to care about them and save them. Brilliant.

2) The plotline was simple, a bit chilling with the Mummy and a great standalone episode, which I know will impact the season somehow. Even Frank Skinner was decent, and I have to admit I constantly assumed he'd have something to do with it.

3) Clara was actually good in this one too, Jenna herself seemed to enjoy the plot line and role a lot more, and it gave a nice insight into the struggle she's going through. She obviously clearly misses Eleven and his ways, and hasn't taken to Twelve in the same way at all, but can see he is in so many ways the same man, just with a different style.

Honestly, that episode renewed my faith in the series, and my love for Capaldi as an actor. I have desperately wanted Capaldi to be one of the greatest Doctors ever, and it's great to see him stepping up to the role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Finally, a proper episode of Doctor Who. First one of the season in my opinion.
    Ditto. Though I did like listen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. Though I did like listen.

Listen was good, but it lacked that punch and the ending was just odd/silly/bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, those curious about that jazzy cover of 'Don't stop me now', the BBC released a video of the whole song. Sung by 'Foxes', who is apparently famous, thus proving I'm finally out of touch with the yoof :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Not bad. Capaldi is great but he hasn't been given enough good material to work with. There's no real sense of 'The Doctor' in this season so far. And the love/hate semi breakup stuff between Clara and the Doctor is pitiful. It's too Eastenders.

The problem is that Doctor Who can be replaced at the flick of a switch with another version of Strictly or whatever and the BBC will save money and simultaneously make much more profit. It's not sacred and if this season doesn't start picking up soon I'd guess it'll be given one more chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Disagree with you on the quality of the episodes but that's a matter of taste.

On the second point DW is a now massive revenue generator for the BBC. Unless it starts to tank majorly it isnt going to be replaced any time soon. Only Top Gear was beating DW in terms of international sales, and add merchandising to the mix as well as the recent foray into big screen and they are cleaning up.

[...]

The problem is that Doctor Who can be replaced at the flick of a switch with another version of Strictly or whatever and the BBC will save money and simultaneously make much more profit. It's not sacred and if this season doesn't start picking up soon I'd guess it'll be given one more chance.

I don't agree with that; Strictly probably bags better ratings at the time of broadcast, but Dr. Who is one of the BBCs strongest brands, if not the strongest alongside shows like Top Gear. Especially overseas.

I don't have any figures in front of me, but I'd wager that put against each other, Dr. Who far outstrips Strictly as a revenue stream. Factor in DVD /BluRay sales, BBC iPlayer, Sky plus, Netflix, any the healthy international audiences, torrents even, and you'd probably find Dr. Who performing just fine. The TV landscape has changed utterly, even since the 2005 relaunch & ratings alone don't tell the whole story. Heck, I think I've seen one episode at the time of broadcast so far this series, the rest as digital recordings.

It's not cancellation-proof by any stretch, but bar another Michael Grade turning up at the BBC, I can't see them killing one of their few remaining golden geese: especially considering the station's well documented budget woes. The beeb need cash. My only concern is the show has even more money taken away from it, then it really will become like the classic series!

edit: snap with Rigor Mortis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

pixelburp wrote: »
    My only concern is the show has even more money taken away from it, then it really will become like the classic series!
    More character-driven stories with more wobbly walls?

I'd actually pay to see that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Took me while to figure out where I'd seen Professor Morehouse before.

"Why are you always in such a bloody rush!!"

Overall I enjoyed that episode.

Advertisement