Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad music - pubs

Options
  • 10-10-2014 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi...
    Am entertaining some French visitors this weekend who love trad. Apart from Taafes (will be wedged and it's not really their scene)...where else could I bring them? I know the Small Crane is good but is there anywhere in the middle of town where there's good live trad music? Thanks

Comments

Tig Coili but it can get fairly full in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Pucan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If youre Tigh Coili a while before it starts and grab a seat youre fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Western Bar on Prospect Hill

Btw, you may want to bring them for a jar in www.oconnorsbar.com in Salthill if you're out that way, always a hit with the tourists. Has music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

An pucan has lost what it once had. The crane would top my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Western Bar on Prospect Hill

There and Rabbits on Forster St on Thursday nights.

Not sure about over the weekend though. Rabitts has lads who may or may not be what you'd call trad on Fri and/or Saturday.

The OP is really asking for the impossible: trad but not crowded.

BTW, The Crane is a pub. The Small Crane is the roadway / car-park outside the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

The OP is really asking for the impossible: trad but not crowded.

BTW, The Crane is a pub. The Small Crane is the roadway / car-park outside the pub.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yeah I meant The Crane Bar...slip of the tongue..or keypad at that.

I suppose I was hoping there would be some forgotten trad pub I didn't know of...these guests are v elderly so won't be able for large crowds.

Thanks again everyone for all of the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

You could try outside Galway, pretty sure there's trad in Donnellys in Barna, in Padraicins in Furbo and further out West. Might be not as crowded but you'd have to drive out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Aras na Gael on a Saturday night would be perfect . I have brought lots of visitors there in the past who wouldn't be able to stand in taaffes or tig coili . Usually about 20 people if not some event on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Galwayps wrote: »
    Aras na Gael on a Saturday night would be perfect . I have brought lots of visitors there in the past who wouldn't be able to stand in taaffes or tig coili . Usually about 20 people if not some event on

Is there a trad session in Aras now on a Saturday? It's been a good while since I've been in but it was usually world music/reggae/flamenco - very international night. Good music but not trad. Maybe it's changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is there a trad session in Aras now on a Saturday? It's been a good while since I've been in but it was usually world music/reggae/flamenco - very international night. Good music but not trad. Maybe it's changed?

Thats Friday nights. Saturday has been trad music for as long as I have been goin in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Galwayps wrote: »
    Thats Friday nights. Saturday has been trad music for as long as I have been goin in

Last time was deffo a Saturday and mates from out of town were playing and we went for Sunday Brunch (only reason I'm sure! :D) Must have been a special event or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If its a weekend night maybe places out in Salthill might be less crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can follow Áras Na NGael on FB, it'll usually say what's on. Same goes for many other venues around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Brought them to Tigh Cóilí for the first drink and they really enjoyed that.

Then moved on to Murphy's for the second drink, which unfortunately was a let down. The barman there insisted our guests pay for drinks they didn't order! Whether it was their accents he didn't understand, or whatever the case was, they landed back to the table with extra drinks and were fairly shocked that the barman wouldn't accept that he had misheard them.

We then headed down for one obligatory one in Neachtains followed by the Crane bar and that was excellent. My guests are all music'd out after their weekend.

Thanks again to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Brought them to Tigh Cóilí for the first drink and they really enjoyed that.

Then moved on to Murphy's for the second drink, which unfortunately was a let down. The barman there insisted our guests pay for drinks they didn't order! Whether it was their accents he didn't understand, or whatever the case was, they landed back to the table with extra drinks and were fairly shocked that the barman wouldn't accept that he had misheard them.

We then headed down for one obligatory one in Neachtains followed by the Crane bar and that was excellent. My guests are all music'd out after their weekend.

Thanks again to everyone.

For to say I'm shocked at what happened in Murphy's. I'd have told him where to stick his pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

For to say I'm shocked at what happened in Murphy's. I'd have told him where to stick his pints.

I would have too! Although I've always found them spot on customer service wise. Sad to hear different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I like Murphy's but in fairness all the shop street pubs are beginning to loose their appeal for me, Murty Rabbits or the front of An Pucan on a week night is where I go for my dose of Trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

I've got the odd Budweiser instead of Bulmers poured for me and just told them they heard me wrong and it's not been an issue - then again most staff in busy bars/clubs don't really care about wastage, will be a different story if it's the landlord or a barman who's been there a long time and basically runs the place.

Regardless, if I was made pay for drinks I didn't order I'd just walk out and leave him with the drinks I did order too. Easily solved.

Advertisement