Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working For Yourself AND By Yourself

Options
  • 10-10-2014 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

8 years ago I left a big firm in an large open plan office floor to working for myself in a one roomed office with no staff. It is quite a change. Not the work itself but socially i.e. no one to talk to there other than clients (or Revenue!) Has anyone else done this and how do you find it? ….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I did this before but have since moved back to a big company,, I found if you arrange company for lunch each day (or a few times a week) it makes things a bit more social.. its good in that, you can focus 100% on your business with no gossip or distraction.. the goal is to expand your business so I assume all things going well you will eventually hire staff anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Thanks for that tip. Just moved office so 'no cabin fever' this tax deadline! The new office is bigger. Now that the economy is turning around for the better it time to make decisions as to where I go from here…

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Not2Good wrote: »
    8 years ago I left a big firm in an large open plan office floor to working for myself in a one roomed office with no staff. It is quite a change. Not the work itself but socially i.e. no one to talk to there other than clients (or Revenue!) Has anyone else done this and how do you find it? ….

Seems to me that if you are asking this question after 8 years, it is obviously a problem and maybe one that you may not overcome

JMR wrote: »
    Seems to me that if you are asking this question after 8 years, it is obviously a problem and maybe one that you may not overcome

Not a problem whatsoever! It is a big change though, and if it was a problem you would not last one year! Was just seeing out there who else had done the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DecjKav

I've been there - done that and must agree that it's not pleasant. Stuck in an office on your own for most of the day isn't easy or indeed good for you. It might be an idea to look for an office share instead ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Worked on my own for 6 years. Really enjoyed it, plenty of time to get stuff done and no interruptions. I got to decide when to talk to people or answer questions. Have someone working for me now and it's changed the way the office works. People call in to see him so my little bubble is gone! That said, numbers are up because of it so can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Good days and bad days :)

Good days that I get to get work done and not get to listen to someone else's music, discussions on soaps, employee issues etc

Bad days when you miss the company and its a slow day.

But dems the breaks!!!! Better to reign in hell then serve in heaven :)

dbran

Yeah its something different alright. You have to be a Jack of all trades, finance, marketing, IT, supplies etc etc and of course self motivated, I didn't think of the 'social side' of things until the other day when I posted. Although a regular monthly salary is missed not suffering some fools as bosses nearly makes up for that.....!

DecjKav wrote: »
    I've been there - done that and must agree that it's not pleasant. Stuck in an office on your own for most of the day isn't easy or indeed good for you. It might be an idea to look for an office share instead ?

Before I moved here last month I considered that indeed. Didn't pan out though but I am happy in the new place. Thanks again….

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

I'm hoping to make the move myself. But would have a preference for a shared office. Not just for the social aspect but being able to bounce ideas off people would be useful

• Advertisement

Dub_Steve wrote: »
    I'm hoping to make the move myself. But would have a preference for a shared office. Not just for the social aspect but being able to bounce ideas off people would be useful

Best of luck with the move …. when you put your first foot forward, don't look back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Sounds like bliss, seriously if you manage to make a living like this, fair play to you and stick at it.

Advertisement