Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managerial merry go round

• 10-10-2014 11:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9

The GAA seems to have developed a soccer style merry go round. The main issue I see is that despite a clear lack of achievement in previous roles many of these managers still get another job.
    Plus the "expenses" are at an all time high.

Managers like Tomás Ó Flatharta, John Maughan, Luke Dempsey, Pat Flanagan and Tommy Carr seem to move from county to county but what have they actually ever done or won? Séamus McEnaney was linked with Antrim, Down and Westmeath. Again what was this based on?

Tomás Ó Flatharta was trainer under Paudi with Westmeath before making over and i think may have won a Div 2 title? Moved on to Galway were he was a disaster yet still somehow managed to get the Laois job!

John Maughan while he had a good start to his management career with Clare and had descent but by no means great success with Mayo, then did nothing with Roscommon and Fermanagh yet if often linked with county jobs.

Pat Flanagan is the latest. Did little with both Westmeath and Sligo yet has landed a job with Offaly now.

Im not even sure at this stage how many teams Luke Dempsey has managed but i dont recall him having much success with any of them.

Tommy Carr is almost like the Roddy Collins of GAA. Has managed to get in charge of 3 teams and never done a thing with any of them. He wasent even able to win a Leinster championship with Dublin!

Séamus McEnaney was linked with Antrim, Down and Westmeath. Again what was this based on? Did well with Monaghan to make them a descent side but still actually won nothing. Wont get into his Leinster title with Meath.

These are just a few and just football. Not to mention counties bringing in recently retired big name players.

So the question is what makes counties keep giving managers who have really done nothing jobs? Are they fine with them coming in and winning a few games and thats it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Did well with Monaghan to make them a descent side but still actually won nothing. Wont get into his Leinster title with Meath.

What Leinster title?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

The GAA seems to have developed a soccer style merry go round. The main issue I see is that despite a clear lack of achievement in previous roles many of these managers still get another job.

Managers like Tomás Ó Flatharta, John Maughan, Luke Dempsey, Pat Flanagan and Tommy Carr seem to move from county to county but what have they actually ever done or won? Séamus McEnaney was linked with Antrim, Down and Westmeath. Again what was this based on?

Tomás Ó Flatharta was trainer under Paudi with Westmeath before making over and i think may have won a Div 2 title? Moved on to Galway were he was a disaster yet still somehow managed to get the Laois job!

John Maughan while he had a good start to his management career with Clare and had descent but by no means great success with Mayo, then did nothing with Roscommon and Fermanagh yet if often linked with county jobs.

Pat Flanagan is the latest. Did little with both Westmeath and Sligo yet has landed a job with Offaly now.

Im not even sure at this stage how many teams Luke Dempsey has managed but i dont recall him having much success with any of them.

Tommy Carr is almost like the Roddy Collins of GAA. Has managed to get in charge of 3 teams and never done a thing with any of them. He wasent even able to win a Leinster championship with Dublin!

Séamus McEnaney was linked with Antrim, Down and Westmeath. Again what was this based on? Did well with Monaghan to make them a descent side but still actually won nothing. Wont get into his Leinster title with Meath.

These are just a few and just football. Not to mention counties bringing in recently retired big name players.

So the question is what makes counties keep giving managers who have really done nothing jobs? Are they fine with them coming in and winning a few games and thats it?

I disagree about Pat Flanagan. Why he was ejected from Westmeath having got them (a very average side) promoted to Div 1 beggars belief. He seemed to hold the ship steady in Sligo and is now back in Offaly where you can judge for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Luke Dempsey won an All Ireland minor title with Westmeath in 1995, two Leinster u21 titles and reached the quarter finals with the senior team in 2001. He's managing Moorefield in Newbridge now and they will be going for two in a row against their cross town rivals on Sunday week. He doesn't deserve to be on a list with the likes of Tommy Carr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

He doesn't deserve to be on a list with the likes of Tommy Carr.

Does anyone deserve to be on a list with Tommy Carr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Intetestingly its ypung guys who have not been around the block that had been most successful lately.

Gilroy, McGuiness, Gavin and Fitzmaurice have all won and the likes of Horan and McGeeny have done well also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

iDave wrote: »
    What Leinster title?
    Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Pat Flanagan is a good move for offaly got a poor enough westmeath team into division 1 , also done well with sligo and got them up a division last year.
    he will get offaly out of division 4 this year you will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

You could add Paul Bealin to that list managed Carlow,Wexford and Westmeath. At club level Ballyboden,Parnells(Dublin),Blessington(Wicklow),Graiguecullen(Laois),Mullahoran(Cavan) and Monasternevin(Kildare)
    Has any manager managed in all 4 provinces? Tommy Carr managed Ulster,Leinster & Connacht teams. John Maughan in Connacht, Ulster and Munster.

Is there any job Banty is not linked with? He would nearly put in his CV if Alan Pardew gets sacked at Newcastle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Most of those mentioned are "media friendly" ;) ie they can spew s###e for hours on end. Could nearly guarantee that most of what was achieved by them(which is little anyway) would've been achieved by any average club manager. Luke Dempsey is probably a prime example, that was an exceptional bunch he had with Westmeath.
    Tommy Carr is definitely the Roddy Collins of GAA managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

How long was Tommy Carr Dublin manager? He was probably unfortunate to a degree that there was an exceptional Meath team and a very good Kildare team on the scene around that time.

Jesus, I cant believe I've defended Tommy Carr, I should go to bed.

washman3 wrote: »
    Most of those mentioned are "media friendly" ;) ie they can spew s###e for hours on end. Could nearly guarantee that most of what was achieved by them(which is little anyway) would've been achieved by any average club manager. Luke Dempsey is probably a prime example, that was an exceptional bunch he had with Westmeath.
    Tommy Carr is definitely the Roddy Collins of GAA managers.

Carr was also manager of Westmeath minors last year.

rpurfield wrote: »
    How long was Tommy Carr Dublin manager? He was probably unfortunate to a degree that there was an exceptional Meath team and a very good Kildare team on the scene around that time.

98-01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't want to discuss Tommy Carr tbh but Pat Flanagan is an interesting one. I think he's alright tbh. Maybe slightly overrated in some quarters, but I'd definitely have him on a different level to all those other managers you've mentioned.

Not sure what he can do with Offaly. Poisoned chalice if I've ever seen one, they have been in complete disarray in both codes in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pat Flanigan is an excellent coach and trainer.

when we talk about success, its hard for these counties to win anything when the likes of Dublin and Mayo had their best teams in recent decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

rpurfield wrote: »

Neither can anyone else.

Read this again tomorrow. We'll allow. :)

Advertisement