Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e46 weird oil light issue

• 10-10-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Just recently my car has started doing this slightly strange thing where about 10-15 seconds after startingup, the oil warning light comes on for about 5 seconds, then goes out. And that's it, it doesn't come back on again and there are no other signs of anything being wrong. I checked the oil level a couple of days ago and it was around the minimum mark, so it has been topped up to maximum again, but I'm still getting this warning light. I should say it's the yellow oil light rather than the red. Anyone ever seen this before?

As an aside, what is the proper service interval for these cars? Is 15K miles between services too much?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This means that your oil level sensor is faulty and does not reflect in anyway on the oil level. The sensors do give issues over time and I had mine replaced once purely because the car was having work done in that area. You can continue without the oil level sensor working, once you are happy to keep a manual check on the levels. TBH I don't count on it and manually check anyway, but see it as a backup. The light does not effect your NCT test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

delly wrote: »
    This means that your oil level sensor is faulty and does not reflect in anyway on the oil level. The sensors do give issues over time and I had mine replaced once purely because the car was having work done in that area. You can continue without the oil level sensor working, once you are happy to keep a manual check on the levels. TBH I don't count on it and manually check anyway, but see it as a backup. The light does not effect your NCT test.

+1 mine has had this problem since I bought it. And I check levels once a week or so, depending on my usage. I even have a sensor to replace it with, but just haven't bothered! It's been through 3 NCTs with this issue and passed every time.

As for the service interval, I reckon 15k miles is a bit much. I service mine every year, or 5k depending on which I reach first.

Advertisement